Author Topic: I went to a huge flea market today  (Read 6760 times)

Offline C. Perry Rapier

I went to a huge flea market today
« on: May 17, 2003, 12:01:57 AM »
It was in Portland, Indiana. It was an old iron flea market. Old tractor parts, farm machinery etc. I saw about 100 pieces of cast iron. Steve Stephens, I bought an old griswold (I think) skillet unmarked except for the 8 at the bottom. It has a handle exactly like the griswold spider. It has the big gate mark across the bottom. It is in very good condition, not warped or pitted. I gave 3.00 dollars for it and I thought it was a good buy. Also saw a fully marked number 9 Victor for 175.00. I told him I was interested in a pair and if he didn't have two I just didn't want any. I also saw a number 8 MARION scotch bowl for 22.50. I saw lots of other items as well. There were a few hundred dealers there, it was at the fairgrounds and there were people from several states there.

Steve_Stephens

Re: I went to a huge flea market today
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2003, 12:18:46 AM »
That sounds like my kind of flea market Perry.  Lots of rust!

Griswold didn't make skillets with bottom gate marks!!  The ones shown in the books are not Griswold in spite of what the books say.  I am looking for someone to PROVE to me that Griswold did make bottom gated skillets but I don't think anyone will be able to.  You got a good buy any way.    Are you sure the Marion pot was a scotch bowl and not some other pot?  If so I have added it to the maker's list.  I don't doubt they made a scotch bowl but want to be sure that's exactly what you saw.
Thanks for the report.  Way high price on that Victor 9 skillet.
Steve

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2003, 12:38:37 AM »
Steve, I do not know an awful lot about any of this and am still learning and always will. Having said that, I know the least about bowls. I presumed it was a scotch bowl. To be sure it looked like the bowl at the top right on page 76 of the 2nd edition blue book. It had the bail, the ring on the side, and the rim on the bottom. What were these bowls and the scotch bowls used for anyway? That flea market lasts three days and today is the first day. If it is of any vital concern to be sure, I will go back and buy it. So you don't think Erie skillets had a gate mark even though one is pictured in the blue book? Well, if this is not an Erie, it ought to be, cause it sure looks and feels like one. Oh yea, I also wanted to say that one of the cast iron dealers there had several pieces and while I was there talking to him he got out his book and it was a copy of the first edition Griswold and Wagner. He opened it up there were the two pictures of the authors. He said, "one of these fellows is a real **shole". I asked him how he knew that and he said one of his friends knew very well and told him so. I asked him which one was it and he pointed to the one on the right

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2003, 02:14:31 AM »
That bowl is a Yankee Bowl.  An interesting bunch of iron those different bowls and pots are but nobody seems to know much about how they were used.  Probably for all sorts of things and they were of different shapes to give people lots of choices.  I've never learned how most are or were used.  Probably not a lot of people alive anymore who used them regularly so it could be hard to find out their uses.  Thanks for you offer to pick up the Marion pot for me but it isn't a piece that interests me to own.  I love to see all sorts of different pieces but have to limit my collection.

Too bad that someone like the author on the right who has seen so much iron and been in the "business" for so long is not one of the "good guys" in the hobby.  Some people are more into it for the money.  Never could know if I could trust what I would hear from him.

Re: Erie and Griswold bottom gated skillets.  I would not bet my life that Griswold never made them but I would be very surprised if one turned up that was really known to be Griswold.  Every one that I have seen is smaller by the 1/8" per foot shrinkage factor than a side gated Griswold pan.  And you would think that the bottom gated pans would be the earliest but most that show up are of later versions than the earliest Erie skillets.  Why would Griswold make side gated skillets at first and then revert to an older casting method.  Griswold advertised from very early that their wares were made with smooth bottoms (lack of a bottom gate).  Just lots of obversations on my part to come up with what I think.  A noted collector who gave a talk on ERIE skillets at a Griswold convention several years ago was certain that his ERIE gated skillets were made by Griswold.  But he also didn't realize what the first series of Erie skillets was all about.
Steve

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2003, 07:24:19 AM »
one on the right

RAOFLMAO
« Last Edit: May 17, 2003, 11:37:35 AM by admin »
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline Paul Beer

• WAGS member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2003, 10:53:56 AM »
Must be one of them Pa. phrases. Don't recall seeing it on any outhouse walls out West.One thing tho the opinions on this fellow are very consistent!!

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2003, 11:19:20 AM »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2003, 11:19:33 AM by admin »

Offline Paul Beer

• WAGS member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2003, 11:31:45 AM »
Will wonders never cease! You young guys are too fast for us old guys...wow a whole new language! I liked the PWS (pest)....although I didn't see yours listed so still need further instruction. HAGO

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2003, 11:35:37 AM »
I added the A for AROUND

Didn't see the PWS??
« Last Edit: May 17, 2003, 11:38:11 AM by admin »

Offline Paul Beer

• WAGS member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2003, 11:39:56 AM »
ah so! God its fun to travel on the fast track with you guys!

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2003, 10:39:31 PM »
Steve Stephens, It probably was a yankee bowl, because if you recall, on that receipt dated March 4, 1890 from the Marion Stove Company (that I sent you) it had Yankee Bowls listed @ 34cents each.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2003, 11:09:13 PM »
But Perry, I thought you said it was a Marion pot.  Doesn't really matter though.
Steve

Offline Jenny Schwartz

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 02:36:12 PM »
Will and I went to a local flea market yesterday (about 500-600 dealers) and bought waaaay too much stuff. There was some very overpriced stuff too. I did pick up for $5 a lid marked MACDONALD.  Once Will gets it cleaned up I will have him send a pic.  Had a great time.
:)
Jenny :)

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2003, 02:58:48 PM »
Jenny,

Wondered what had happened to you and Will!!!

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2003, 08:12:01 PM »
Greg,

We are still here.  Just working allot.   Got some farming to do.   And being prez of my model train club is taking allot of my time too.   I will send pictures of the Macdonald lid to you.   Not fully cleaned,  but pretty good.   Casting seems a little newer.   But it wasn't too expensive.  

Will P. [smiley=smoking.gif]

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2003, 12:01:03 AM »
Well I went to an auction they listed old parlor stove. Couldn't believe my eye's, it was a Classic #4 Quad center draft. Pictured in blue book p. 166 bottom left, if you never seen one in person there beautiful. It was in very good shape. My pockets just weren't deep enough I stopped at $950. Sold at $1250.
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.