Author Topic: Ellis has a neat skillet and cover here  (Read 7569 times)

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
Ellis has a neat skillet and cover here
« on: February 11, 2003, 04:26:32 PM »
can anyone ID these?

from Ellis's email to me:++

I have attached some pix of a deep skillet and lid that we acquired a few weeks ago.  There are no markings on either the skillet or lid.  Hopefully the pix show the crosshatching design that divides the lid into quarters and extends onto the skillet  and will kindle a flame of recognition in someone.  The inside of the skillet is very well seasoned, and the outside appears to be an almost black coating of some kind.

++

"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
Re: Ellis has a neat skillet and cover here
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2003, 07:08:01 PM »
I don't know who made it but I now have pan envy.
Harry

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 08:14:07 PM »
I feel your pain Harry.  That is one cool design built into the cover and continuing into the skillet

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 08:28:45 PM »
Seen a few; don't know nuttin 'bout it.  But it's got style!
Steve
« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 08:29:15 PM by Steve_Stephens »

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 12:27:44 AM »
I'm very cheap, ;D ;D    but I think I would spend some money on that one.   I like it.

Will P.

John_Myers

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 11:24:38 AM »
Steve we traded ours to Tiny and he had no idea who made it. Not very common in this part of country have only seen one other than the one we had. John

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 01:02:57 PM »
I remember the casting and overall quality to be about average, is that what you remember?
Steve

John_Myers

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2003, 02:52:01 PM »
Yes Steve maybe a little on the heavy side. But it does have style. I miss Tiny not coming around to this part of the country. He was about as much fun to haggle with as anyone I have ever traded with. Did a nice job of cleaning iron for display. Got some pretty good pieces from him and he would take all of our extra broiler skillets, handled griddles, fat free fryers, and deep skillets that we had picked up cheap in trade. Still have not heard anything from him about that 19.  John

Offline Ellis Morehead

• Global Moderator
  • WAGS chef at Canoe Creek, Lake Chelan
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2003, 08:56:47 PM »
Just a little more information on the skillet and lid set.  Give John some real credit for his memory.  It is rather heavy, if fact the skillet weighs 6 1/2 lbs, 3/4 lb more than our WW deep skillet, and they are almost identical in size.  We obtained it in North Central WA State, Wenatchee, to be exact.  Maybe we picked up John's missing piece!  Anyway we are not that far from John, at least I think he is in Idaho.  I will make up a good story for the kids and grandkids that it came out with Lewis and Clark as trade goods!  Should be a good user anyway.  Ellis
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it".  "Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor".  T.R. , 1903.

John_Myers

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2003, 02:39:42 AM »
Ellis, We found the lid and about 2 years later found the skillet. About 2 years after that saw another one but owner thought it was gold plated. We took the lid to one of the early West Coast meetings and nobody could say for sure who made it. We no longer trade off any skillet lids that we do not have duplicates of. All that we have seen , which isn't much, were at Sumpter  Flea Market ( Oregon ). If it wasn't Lewis & clark how about Oregon Trail. If you are going over to Wenatchee you might want to try North Bend, Cle Elum, and we use to find something once in awhile in Roslyn & Ronald.
I was raised in Enumclaw and will move back to God's country one of these days.( Westen Washington) John

Offline Ellis Morehead

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2003, 05:43:04 PM »
John, I like your Oregon Trail idea better!  Kids are not quite as gullable as I like to think.  I was intending on taking the set to the West Coast meeting next week, but don't think I will bother now.  Not sure I want to take the chance of getting a different story than you did!  Would only add more fuel to the fire of controversy that I'm not qualified to talk about...I am kidding, sort of ::)  So far I don't see many, if any, names from the West coast group on this site that I recognize.  Too bad.
Will try Roslyn and Ronald in the future, as we travel that way several times a year.  By the way, God's country is apprx. 174 east of Enumclaw at Lake Chelan where I was born and raised.  My wife is from Tacoma, home grown.  Did you have a good view of Mt. Tahoma from where ever in Enumclaw?  Many Cheers, Ellis
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it".  "Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor".  T.R. , 1903.

John_Myers

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2003, 08:49:36 AM »
Ellis, Please Tell everyone at west coast meeting hi for us, wish we could make it. You might want to ask Jim Edwards, if he goes, about your set. He probably has more iron than anyone in the country with the exception of Joel. A lot of iron of all kinds.
 Will not argue about Lake Chelan, beautiful country.
We had Mt. Rainier right out the front room window. Enumclaw is not the same as it was 40 years ago, to many people. I would have to go to Greenwater or Cumberland even Black Diamond has grown to much for me.
 Could not see Mt. Tahoma from house had to walk down the lane but have hauled logs all over that part of the country. Use to get paid to see some country that people pay to see. Have to quit talking about it I miss the rain and the trees and the green.
 I think Ronald only had one shop Roslyn had a couple.
Have a good time at west coast meeting.  John

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2003, 09:19:24 AM »
So far I don't see many, if any, names from the West coast group on this site that I recognize.  Too bad.

Ellis,
Does not surprise me, as most of the west coast group hate me and this site.   I'm the "evil" one for starting a site (and now a club) that gives a place for collectors to talk iron, devoid of all the "rules/regulations" and other things (you know what I mean).  oh well....

While they are not on the site as registered users, the IP addresses that come on this site as "guests" are some that I recognize as West Coasters.

John_Myers

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2003, 11:10:17 AM »
Greg, I wish I was going, there are a lot of really nice people that do go. I think that a lot of them will be here sooner or later. I think that it is only a few that have any ill will towards anyone. This site is helping all of us and if they visit once I think they will come back.
They even have one collector who use to collect steam tractors ( if you can imagine that ) who will be on here I am sure as soon as he gets a new computer. Were else could he talk about skillets and tractors at the same time.  John

Offline Ellis Morehead

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2003, 12:06:47 PM »
John,
Will certainly say your hi's to those at the meeting.  Would have liked to talk to you.  I am a bit disappointed in you though, I thought you would pick up on the subtle reference to Mt. Rainier as Tahoma/Tacoma, being from King Co.! I realize there is a shorter peak called Tahoma, and I should have realized that you would have known it too ???.  I climbed Rainier in my younger and foolish years!
Guess I will take the set to the meeting after all, and hope Edwards is there.

"evil" one, aka Ole Scratch,
Hang in there ;)

Many cheers to all,
Ellis

woodpile

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2003, 01:43:52 PM »
Greetings: I live near Wenatchee Wash.  I have seen this skillet (oven) and lid.  I have also seen this piece in Canada and think it very well may be a Canadian make.  It is a heavy piece as I recall, however a fairly decent finish.  Re: The west coast or nw group.  I have been to a few meets and have NEVER heard anyone say anything bad about anyone else.  I cannot speak for everyone or anyone else, but I think sometimes too much is made of things and maybe  mountains are being made out of molehills.  It is too bad this happens with any group.  I think people should be able to dissagree in a forum consistent with good manners and good feelings and not cause another to feel put upon.   George Valentine