Author Topic: someone had to start this topic  (Read 9560 times)

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
someone had to start this topic
« on: October 06, 2002, 04:30:22 PM »
Ok, I have one for the experts.  Anyone heard of this one?

Several of the pieces look like Griswold, but some don't.  Cool little booklet regardless with 16 pages, but no dates, darn.

See the link below that Janet put up.  Not only has she identified the battle ship as the Colorado, closer inspection of the pix in her link with the pix on my booklet reveals that it is the same exact pix!!!  Just look at the black smoke from the stack!  Great job, Janet!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2002, 02:11:11 PM by admin »
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

jb1964

Re: someone had to start this topic
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2002, 05:18:12 PM »
Hello Greg -

It might be possible to bound the date of the catalog from the picture of the battleship on the cover.  Is there a hull number visible in the photograph (i.e., BB - ??)?  Can you tell if the masts are caged or tripod style?

My first guess is that this is a ship of the Tennessee or Colorado class; the earliest of which was commissioned in June, 1920.  

I hope this helps a bit.  

-- Janet

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2002, 05:42:54 PM »
Great idea, but my eyes are bad.

My friend says it is 165 or 163 then LL or FL or CC or LE or EL??
« Last Edit: October 06, 2002, 05:50:26 PM by admin »

jb1964

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2002, 06:36:33 PM »
Hi Greg -

I think this might be a photo of the USS Colorado (BB - 45) taken in 1923.  Take a look at the USN archive photo at: http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/014519.jpg
and see what you think.

As a humorous aside, wouldn't Battleship have been a better name for a line of cast iron cookware than aluminum?  :)

Cheers,

Janet

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2002, 07:25:26 PM »
could be.  Link is as follows:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/45.htm

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2002, 02:06:53 PM »
Janet,
Wow you are good.  Not only is the pix the Colorado, the pix is the EXACT same pix used in the booklet.  I'll post the pix in the same topic above.

Great job!!  Do you have Naval experience?

jb1964

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2002, 04:22:41 PM »
Greg --

Thanks for the compliments!  No, I don't have a Navy background, but I like warships and planes and often surf sites with related information, as well as visit museums.

Back to your cast aluminum ware booklet, the only other thought that I have is that the phrase "...and Save You Money" might indicate a Depression era vintage, but this is just a guess (I'll defer to the real cookware experts for further investigation!!).  

Glad to be of help.

-- Janet

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2002, 04:29:35 PM »
Reason I asked about Naval experience, is that Steve and I talked today about the pieces that are marked USN on Griswold.  When were they made, dates, etc.?  What pieces were made?

John_Myers

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2003, 05:48:40 PM »
     Greg,
 No expert here but might be able to add a little.
 I bought a (Battleship Heavy Duty Cast Aluminum) skillet lid at second West Coast meeting. Chuck was saying it looked like Griswold but that he did not think that it was. I disagreed because it has a Griswold handle just like most skillet lids, it has Griswold basting rings, the seal ring goes around inside of pour spouts like most Griswold skillet lids. But most important it has Griswold patent info and to be honest I am not sure if it has dates or numbers. I think it has the patent numbers like Best Made or some Iron Mountain lids. I will dig it out if you want more info.
  I later saw a magazine ad ( gave info to Joel) I think was 1928 or 29 that was for Battleship Heavy Duty Aluminum a registered trade mark of Sears Roebuck.
  Now this lid is marked with a 10 on the inside but it is a tight fit on a Griswold No. 7. The center basting ring is oval around a raised battleship.
 Well we know that at this time Griswold was making Best Made iron for Sears.
  I can not see Griswold letting a competitor use their patents. But who knows this country was booming in 28 and 29. If they had more demand than they could supply I guess they could have farmed it out.
 Cannot speak about any other pieces but the one lid I have I think Griswold made.
 Must have been short lived, Battleship pieces are not common.
 As soon as I get a camera I will be glad to send you pictures. Maybe should say as soon as I learn to use it.
 Hope this helps a little,  John

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2003, 06:36:52 PM »
yes, I'd like pix.

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2003, 07:11:26 PM »
Greg,
This may not be the place to bring this up but you mentioned pieces with USN on them.....I recently found a muffin pan that looked like a Griswold #10, but on the back it had ACME FDRY, HOPE, ARK, USN.....I got out of the store and forgot it....went back and it was gone...
Jerry

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2003, 07:29:15 PM »
Jerry,
There is one of them on Ebay right now.  Looks like a really cool pan, very unusual.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2003, 10:33:45 PM »
Greg,
This may not be the place to bring this up but you mentioned pieces with USN on them.....I recently found a muffin pan that looked like a Griswold #10, but on the back it had ACME FDRY, HOPE, ARK, USN.....I got out of the store and forgot it....went back and it was gone...

Jerry,
You sure it said Acme Fdry.?  The one on ebay now is marked inder the handle opposite the USN, "EAGLE HOPE ARK."    I don't doubt you but it seems strange to have two different markings.
Steve

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2003, 11:26:25 PM »
Steve,
It probably was Eagle?....My memory aint so good :D :D
Jerry