Author Topic: Should I strip it and try again?  (Read 662 times)

Offline Spurgeon Hendrick

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
Should I strip it and try again?
« on: April 04, 2019, 10:26:21 AM »
Here is the Lodge tea kettle I recently acquired. The lid turned out a different color! Doh!

I used the e-tank on the body of the tea kettle (the lid had been removed). For the lid, I put it is the lye bucket while the kettle was in the e-tank. Then I submerged the body and the lid in Evaporust for a couple of days.

Is it possible the difference in color has to do with the lid in lye (but never the e-tank) and the body was in the e-tank (but never the lye)?

The plan now is to put the lid back in the lye for a little while, to remove the seasoning, and then put it in the e-tank overnight.

Any suggestions?

Offline Spurgeon Hendrick

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
Re: Should I strip it and try again?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 10:30:15 AM »
I just thought of another difference I. The process. To get the body of the kettle in the oven, I had to lower the top rack to the middle. Since I was also seasoning a French bread pan, the lid had to go on the bottom rack. So, the lid was only a couple of inches from the bottom element, while the body was in the middle of the oven. But that wouldn’t make a difference, would it?

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Re: Should I strip it and try again?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 10:01:53 PM »
Proximity to the element might be part of the problem. I think you compounded the matter here by not processing the two pieces in the same steps.
But you could still try re-seasoning on the middle oven shelf.