Author Topic: New here, and greetings from Oak Grove, Kentucky  (Read 714 times)

Offline Dan Peterson

• WAGS: the heartbeat of cast iron collecting
New here, and greetings from Oak Grove, Kentucky
« on: August 19, 2021, 09:47:56 PM »
I just discovered this interesting website and forum today, while trying to do research on an old cast iron stove I found yesterday outdoors in the yard of a neighbor.  I have always been fascinated with historical objects and my first encounters with cast iron items was digging up various broken bits of cast iron pots, stoves and many things I couldn't identify in old mining camps in the "gold country" of Northern California which searching for old bottles.  I have always had a few cast iron pots and pans as I have done historical reenactment of many time periods all of my life, but didn't really collect it until I returned from many years stationed in Germany , and ended up at my last assignment at Fort Campbell, KY where I retired.  I was able to buy what was once an old farm, complete with a hand-hewn, two story, "dog trot" log cabin built by a many who my street is named after (Tandy Lane), who came to Kentucky from Virginia in 1809 and fought in the KY Militia during the War of 1812 (so I fly a replica of that period flag!).  I have always loved flea markets, and whenever I see an interesting cast iron object that is reasonably priced and I'd like to have decorating the cabin or barn, I pick it up. This seems like a great place to learn more about my finds, and I am thinking about possibly turning the farm into a kind of "Living History" museum so other people will also enjoy the objects I have collected.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 09:52:55 PM by Dan Peterson »

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
Re: New here, and greetings from Oak Grove, Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 11:09:25 PM »
Welcome Dan, great pictures.  That looks like a real nice place.
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
Re: New here, and greetings from Oak Grove, Kentucky
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 06:43:17 AM »
Dan,  :welcome: from down in Central Texas! GREAT :thumbsup:to have you here with us at WAGS!
Nowhere But TEXAS!