Cast Iron (general info) > General Information

Wapak Indian skillets:  rarest sizes?

(1/2) > >>

Steve_Stephens:
What prompted this post is the statement on a current ebay auction that the No.4 indian skillet is the hardest to find or rarest Wapak indian skillet.  Is this so?  I think I have seen more real Wapak indian 4's on ebay than I have seen 6, 11, and 12's.  What do you all think?  Certainly the 3,  8, and 9 are the most common.
Steve

Greg Stahl:
#4 is the rarest, but I've seen just as many 6 and 12's on Ebay as 4's.  The 11, I've not seen many of.

Harry Riva:
These days I would have to vote for the 11 then the 12 then the 4. That wouldn't have been my vote in the pre e-bay days when you just never saw the 4 or the 11. In the days before E-Bay I had seen a 4 at auction and it went for more than twice what they bring on e-bay. I never saw or heard of an 11 for sale until E-Bay. And I haven't seen that many GOOD 11's on e-bay over the years.For some reason there has been a rash of 4's in the last 6 months or so.
Harry  

Troy_Hockensmith:
I think it's worth mentioning that the 4 was reproduced. The one in Daves book is a four and is the only one I have ever seen reproduced. Are there any other sizes? I know where there is one in a shop. I've been trying to get a picture for the repro list but their hardly ever open. They have $72. on it even after I told them it's a repro. I will have my book and camera with me next time when I catch them open. Really crappy casting and a rounded handle.

Steve_Stephens:

--- Quote ---I think it's worth mentioning that the 4 was reproduced. The one in Daves book is a four and is the only one I have ever seen reproduced. Are there any other sizes?
--- End quote ---

Yes, the No.4 indian Wapak skillet is the only one that has been reproduced, though it is more a fake since it doesn't follow the same exact design as the originals.
Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version