Cast Iron (general info) > General Information

Victor skillet age and value

(1/2) > >>

swamprat:
I just purchased a #8 Victor skillet, and would like to know its value and age.  It has a large VICTOR name in an arch on the bottom, opposite the handle side.  It has a long gate mark in the middle of the bottom, and a number "8" on the bottom, toward the handle side, and has a heat ring.  I found one similar in the Griswold & Wagner book, but the one in the book did not have the gate mark.  Could anyone help me determine the age and value of this piece, in excellent condition?

Thanks,
Bill

John Knapp:
Bill.  That skillet with the gate mark dates around 1880 or so.  It has been kicked around as to whether Griswold made that particular variation or not.  I tend to say they did make it as the writing and the skillet has the same dimensions as the other Victors.  The gate mark variation was made in size 8 only.  Value....depends on condition and if it is pitted, cracked etc.  i have 2 of them with the gate marks and I paid $30 for one and $55. for the other.  Hope this helps you.
John

swamprat:
John,

Thanks for responding - I appreciate the information.  This skillet will clean up really well.  There was a little surface rust in a few spots, but there is no pitting, and the bottom is nice and flat.  I asked the guy at the shop what was the least he would take for it, and he said "how about 5 dollars"  so I couldnt pass that up.  I can't wait to get it cleaned up and seasoned so I can try it out!

Thanks,
Bill

Steve_Stephens:
Bill,
From carefully reading your post it seems that you have the Griswold type VICTOR skillet and not the VICTOR odorless skillet which has a channel up the side of the skillet opposite the handle.  If the handle on your pan is the same style as other Griswold skillets you have the Griswold type Victor but it was not made by Griswold in my opinion.  Can you tell us the page and photo in the Griswold book (and which book) that shows a pan similiar to yours?

I have yet to see any Griswold or ERIE skillets that were made by Griswold and have a gate mark.  Griswold did make a very few pieces with the bottom gate; I saw an ERIE tea kettle yesterday with bottom gate.  But gate marks on skillets-I highly doubt it.  Ones that have shown up invariably are smaller in diameter than the ones that Griswold made.  Iron shrinks 1/8" per foot of casting so, if a skillet (or other item) is used to duplicate that item, it will turn out slightly smaller.

If you pan is a copy casting it would be hard to tell the age because you don't know who made it.   Value, if not made by Griswold would be around $10 to 25 unless you were to find a Griswold collector who thought it was made by Griswold.  If you got the pan on ebay can you let me know the ebay page URL so I can take a look at the photos?
Thanks,
Steve

John Knapp:
I have 2 Victor #8's with gate marks and a #8 Erie with a gate mark and I stand by that they are Griswold's.
John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version