Cast Iron (general info) > General Information

Who made this Stick Pan?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Steve_Stephens:
I have argued at length with people about these pans.  They are NOT Wager.  No catalog number; no constant "letter" like Wagner marked their pans prior to using catalog numbers on the pan.   The pan does not show up in any Wagner catalog that I am aware of.  The pan HAS to be newer than the Griswold ones since Griswold had a patent on the design that was issued in 1927 (filed for in 1925).  

Those stick pans appear with no letter on the back, with the letters B and E and possibly one other letter.  An earlier version with the same marking but no letter has just 6 sticks.  There is absolutely nothing about the pan that says Wagner and I'll argue that until someone PROVES to me that it is Wagner.

Goes to show, if you believe me, that what is printed in books is not always right.  But, once printed, it tends to become fact.  I am on a mission to set the record straight and to encourage people to use their eyes and minds to determine if what they read in print is the truth.  Authors do not give enough documentation, proof, or captions to validate what they say.

On the G&CICA Griswold History page it says "The closest I can get to the date they started making cookware is 1865".   The date was several years later a few weeks ago when I emailed the webmaster Kathy and asked her where she got the info.  She replied that it was a type and that it should have been 1865.

I was under the strong impression that Griswold started in 1865 but they made hardware items such as a separable butt hinge.  Cookware came much later and my guess it around 1880.  By 1883 at least Selden & Griswold had a full line of cookware from a little 1883 catalog sheet I have.  When did they ACTUALLY start making cookware?  I don't know but I bet it wasn't even close to 1865.  Yet that is the date written in infamy on the G&CICA site.   People who write things need to give a reference on where they found the information or history gets screwed up for all time.

I am always questioning things but am absolutely willing to listen to reason if other ideas come up.  The hard information on what we want to know in our hobby just isn't readily available and probably will never be available.  We have to guess and deduce a lot but, please, say it is a guess or estimate.

And Jake, be sure to get Griswold Muffin Pans by Haussler.  A great book with too high prices for today's market but an excellent book anyway.  Good luck on your hunt.  Muffin pans are some of the most interesting pieces to collect.  I was doing that for years and still have some really neat ones.
Steve

John_Myers:
I agree with you Steve NOT Wagner. I don't know a Wagner collector that thinks that it is.  John

PS  Not Wager either.

Harry Riva:
Jake, I guess I should have said "according to the Blue Book you have a Wagner pan". Steve S. sure knows a lot about this stuff and if he says it isn't so that's probably the case.
Harry

Jake_Benner:
Well, this sure stirred up some interesting dialogue.  I suppose for now there is no consensus on the maker of this stick pan, but its resemblance to the Griswold 2700 is striking.  Could it have been a piece from the Puritan or another line of ware that was branded for someone else?

Thanks for the info everybody!

Jake

Jerry Cermack:
Steve,
please unconfuse me....I had one of these pans and it had a letter B on the middle cup like in the blue cover book.....was it Wagner in your opinion?

Have items shown up that are genuine Griswold or Wagner that were not in any catalogs?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version