Cast Iron (general info) > Cleaning and Restoration

Bees wax / buzzy wax

(1/4) > >>

Joseph Durham:
Im curious, I keep seeing sites offering a beeswax product for the seasoning of their cast iron; using it on every piece they use and collect. Has anyone here tried these products?  Thoughts?  Results?

Cheryl Watson:
I have not seen the need to line other's pocket's with $$$ in their attempts to "reinvent" the "wheel" !   ;) ;)  ;D

My seasoned users are seasoned with Crisco or Grapeseed oil
(I do high heat seasoning at 500)

The many, many others that I will likely never , ever use, are restored and then preserved using Mineral Oil. :)

I can always season them for cooking later... if I feel I must use a high $$$ piece to cook with.  8-) 8-)

Joseph Durham:

--- Quote ---I have not seen the need to line other's pocket's with $$$ in their attempts to "reinvent" the "wheel" ! ;) ;) ;D

My seasoned users are seasoned with Crisco or Grapeseed oil
(I do high heat seasoning at 500)

The many, many others that I will likely never , ever use, are restored and then preserved using Mineral Oil. :)

I can always season them for cooking later... if I feel I must use a high $$$ piece to cook with. 8-) 8-)
--- End quote ---
Good point.
Anyone else?

Russell Ware:
Beeswax is a solid, so how is it put into to a form that spreads easily on cast iron, and why would you take time to do that when you can very easily apply oil from a can  of cooking spray?
I've heard of people using bear fat to season cast iron. Why go out of your way when you can keep it simple - and cheap?

Valerie Johnson:
While I would not use Bee's wax the fact that is a solid does not bother me, I use coconut oil which comes in a paste form and melts at very low temps, so when I preheat the pan prior to wiping on the seasoning the coconut pastes melts as soon as it hits the pan
Beeswax however in my opinion would leave a sticky residue on the iron as opposed to a hardened non stick surface

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version