Cast Iron (general info) > Cleaning and Restoration

Cleaning and seasoning  - a pictorial

(1/4) > >>

Greg Stahl:
WAGS member Tom Penkava took some of his time and put together this very nice, self explanatory PDF file to show folks how he cleans his cast iron with LYE and then his seasoning method.  

Thanks TOM for sharing your methods!!!

Tom Penkava's Cleaning and Seasoning  (size = 1.7 MB)

Scott Sanders:
Thanks Tom...........That is a nice series of pictures that does a good job of showing your cleaning and seasoning method method.  That is the same way I do mine, although I am in the process of setting up an electro system.  About the only thing I do a little different is, I use a stainless scrubbie instead of a copper scrubbie.  Oh, and I don't have a supervisor to consult, so I have to do it on my own, and with the great help from all you other WAGS  members.

Thanks again,                         Scott

Stu:
Hi Guys,

Has anyone used the oven cleaner method? I ran across it on another site, it seems easier if you don't have a lye bucket handy.

Stu

Chris Stairs:

--- Quote ---Hi Guys,

Has anyone used the oven cleaner method? I ran across it on another site, it seems easier if you don't have a lye bucket handy.

Stu
--- End quote ---

Hi Stu,
  Welcome to WAGS!
 Yes, we also recommend the oven cleaner method for cleaning cast iron. It works great if you only have one pan to clean. If you are going to be getting more pans, it will cost a lot of money for oven cleaner.

The lye is much more cost effective and you can just keep on using it. It will save money in the long run.

Chris

Bryce King:
Stu,

See the thread posted below titled "New problem - what do I do about this".  It talks about the over cleaner method and also using a lye bath.

Very informative about both methods.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version