Author Topic: L S Bacon Waffle Iron  (Read 347 times)

Offline Christopher Miller

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
L S Bacon Waffle Iron
« on: October 27, 2015, 02:59:31 AM »
I have a L S Bacon waffle iron.  Can anyone tell me the approximate age?  The only markings are L S Bacon on each lid and there is a stamp on each of the two lids.
Thank you
Christopher Miller

Offline Jim Fuchs

• WAGS member
  • Phoenix Works
Re: L S Bacon Waffle Iron
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 04:46:50 PM »
 Hello Christopher. That's a good old waffle iron. Not in business long. Would be dated 1843-1853, then sold, and closed in 1854. The paddles that were not connected via a hinge are referred to as a "gravity" waffle iron. If you can, pictures would be great...we like seeing the iron. Stop by often, and give consideration to joining us. Lot's to see & learn on the membership side.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 05:26:23 PM »
Thank you for the information Jim.  I will send pictures later this afternoon.  I have to figure out how to send and attach.    And know I will consider joining the club.

Sincerely

Chris Miller

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 06:57:44 PM »
Jim, I am having trouble sending photos, it says the photo is too large ie 948 kb

Sincerely

Chris Miller

Offline Jim Fuchs

• WAGS member
  • Phoenix Works
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 08:40:27 PM »
Hello Christopher. The max allowed size is 350 kb, so the picture would have to be changed (sized down to about 850 p x -) Thanks for the photo's. We can only post 3 per post, so here's 3 to give everyone a look. The one showing both insides of the paddles was too blurry, but these are good. Be sure to show us when you're done cleaning . For information purposes, these were made in Leroy, N.Y.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:41:25 PM by moreiron »

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 10:14:21 PM »
Jim,
Thank you for posting the photos for me.
Will cleaning the waffle iron diminish the value of the waffle iron?
It should clean up nicely.
To think someone used that waffle iron before the civil war is quite amazing

Offline Jim Fuchs

• WAGS member
  • Phoenix Works
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 11:36:31 PM »
I would highly recommend following the suggestions under our cleaning and restoration board. Please, no power tools of any kind (that will ruin the piece), and don't use anything brass or copper. We have lots of good recommendations under our cleaning & restoration board. That is such a great old piece, would hate to see anything happen to it...and...congratulations on your find!

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 08:30:03 AM »
Jim or anyone else

What method would you use to clean the waffle iron?  I was thinking the lye bath.  But know I do hope to cook on it.
Can you estimate a value for the waffle iron.

Thank you
Chris

Offline Jim Fuchs

• WAGS member
  • Phoenix Works
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 02:27:19 PM »
http://www.wag-society.org/cleaning.php

I would go with a lye bath first, and see how that turns out. I use electrolysis for rust removal. As far as value, that's difficult for me, as I value the pieces for the historical significance, and the history of the foundry more than the $$. Perhaps someone else could give their opinion on actual value. A quick e-bay search didn't turn anything up. They hadn't sold one for about 2 years from what I gather.

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 11:56:52 AM »
Thank you again Jim.

A lye bath it will be.  Lowe's and Home Depot did not have Lye. But I will be able to find it today.

Foremost for me, I have to be able to use the item.  Now, knowing that the waffle iron was manufactured before the civil war there is a historical significance.  If that Waffle Iron could only talk.

Sincerely
Chris

Offline Jim Glatthaar

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 11:20:21 PM »
I'm with you, Chris.  I like to use my cast iron.  I have some pieces I collect, but most of my pieces I buy to use.  That waffle iron can produce great waffles for a long time to come. :)

Offline C. Perry Rapier

• WAGS member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 01:22:44 AM »
Hello Chris. Them places you said didn't have no do have lye and that ain't no lie. They just play head games with you. The dopers use lye in helping to cook meth. So they quit selling lye named lye and so you gotta ask for something else. We have a whole section on where and how to buy lye. It's like MSG. They don't sell that anymore either. So you buy Accent. Look at the ingredients, says 100% MSG. But if you ask for MSG they will tell you they don't carry it. And they don't carry it, well, yes they do, but no they don't. Same thing with Lye.  ::)

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 08:25:41 AM »
Perry, thank you for the heads up.  Instead of asking for Lye, I should have been asking for Roebic drain cleaner. 

The society should consider setting up a link to Roebic and a few other select vendors and be paid for all of the society's referrals.

Offline Roger Barfield

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 02:00:42 PM »
Perry, thank you for the heads up.  Instead of asking for Lye, I should have been asking for Roebic drain cleaner. 

The society should consider setting up a link to Roebic and a few other select vendors and be paid for all of the society's referrals.

Hi Christopher, here is a link to a thread Cheryl made in the cleaning section for you.  It has the links for you.

http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1383613590
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.