Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Information / Re: What was this and who made it? LOL
« Last post by Frank Dimos on Today at 04:52:35 PM »
I'm with you, but I sure wish I knew what that do-dad on the side is. There are two screws and a half moon recessed area. It looks like it's broken off above the screws. I'm guessing it held some type of tube or rod and that there was a matching half moon piece that was held with the screws and gripped the rod.
General Information / Re: What was this and who made it? LOL
« Last post by Dwayne Henson on June 18, 2021, 07:58:15 AM »
I'd guess kerosene, but I've never seen one like that
General Information / Re: Skillen: Misspelled or a new invention?
« Last post by Frank Dimos on June 10, 2021, 06:28:10 PM »
Yep, I think they used the 3 notch Lodge (50's version) as their model, because I've seen those too.
« Last post by Duke Gilleland on June 10, 2021, 07:40:47 AM »
Years ago I saw a # 3 Lodge looking piece marked Korea. The finish on that piece could have easily compared to an early American casting.
« Last post by Frank Dimos on June 09, 2021, 10:32:27 AM »
Ya know, I've seen some Taiwan skillets that were really well done. Machined, smooth interior, flat, nice outside. The last time I saw a skillet like the one you posted, it was a griswold that had been sand blasted to remove the rust.... I'm not sure if the one you're showing is that rough of a casting, or it's just that badly pitted. I've seen some bad ones that were used as outside water bowls for dogs. Regardless, I can't believe someone's trying to sell it.
General Information / Re: Latest Acquisition
« Last post by Frank Dimos on June 09, 2021, 10:24:34 AM »
Thanks Cheryl. The diameter of the knob is relatively large compared with the old nickel plated knobs I've found on some Dutch ovens I've acquired. I don't think this one is rare, as I see a few of them on ebay and elsewhere, but it doesn't seem as common as the loop handles. I like the way it looks! I wonder if it was only intended for the hotel market.
« Last post by Cheryl Watson on June 06, 2021, 01:17:35 AM »
Hmmm... that knob on the lid is interesting.....

The 1940 catalog shows the Cast Aluminum Drip Drop Oval Roasters with a Black Rubberoid type round knob on lid... with a thin disc like round flat top knob.

However the 1939 Hotelware catalog shows a Metallic knob like the one above... same with the Round Roasters.

Looks like the change occurred circa 1939.....as the 1938 catalog shows the loop handles in the Consumer catalogs...
General Information / Skillen: Misspelled or a new invention?
« Last post by Russell Ware on June 05, 2021, 12:17:48 PM »
Maybe they thought skilled cooks could appreciate it, but the casting sure is a rough one.
I guess if you collect cast iron with errors, this one is for you.
A quality control error of that magnitude shows how little thought was given to the intended market for the product.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224207375492?hash=item3433cd0c84:g:-6YAAOSwpqJflGId
General Information / What was this and who made it? LOL
« Last post by Frank Dimos on June 05, 2021, 05:22:13 AM »
I got this because I knew my wife would want it for her junk yard out back.  :laugh: No marks on it, other than a "20" on the inside of the legs and the bottom of the grate. It's cast iron and weighs 20-30 pounds, straight edge screws hold it together. I think the bottom shelf would have held a heat source, and there's a holder of some type at the top with screws, although I have no idea what it would have held. I'm guessing this may have been a small kerosene "lantern" stove or foundry. Any other ideas?
« Last post by Frank Dimos on June 05, 2021, 05:12:01 AM »
Hey, I just discovered that if you click on the photo, it turns it right side up and blows it up! Neat!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10