Author Topic: PDFs of Cast Iron Cookware News  (Read 68642 times)

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
PDFs of Cast Iron Cookware News
« on: October 12, 2005, 06:35:44 AM »
Years ago Steve Stephens published a newsletter called Cast Iron Cookware News (CICN).  I bought his last complete copy of all the volumes published, when I first started to collect.  Now with Steve's permission and the help of Marty, we are going to start to put these old copies up as PDFs for WAGS members.  

It takes a lot of work to make each of these PDFs and they are large in size (MBs).  Marty has taken time to use Photoshop to touch the copies up.  Please do not print them out for resale or distribution, as Steve retains the copyright.  

All Volumes of CICN in one PDF file (48 MB) (Thanks to Yair for doing this!)

Volume 1.1 (size=4.4 MB)

Volume 1.2 (size= 5.6 MB)

Volume 1.3 (size= 5.6 MB)

Volume 1.4 (size= 3.8 MB)

Volume 1.5 (size= 4.4 MB)

Volume 1.6 (size= 5.3 MB)

Volume 2.1 (size = 7.41 MB)

Volume 2.2 (size = 5.14 MB)

Volume 2.3 (size = 2.31 MB)

Volume 2.4 (size = 3.24 MB)

Volume 2.5 (size = 2.44 MB)

Volume 3.1 (size=2.6 MB)

Volume 3.2 (size=2.7 MB)

Volume 3.3 (size=9.7 MB)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:44:53 AM by admin »
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline Paul Beer

• WAGS member
Re: PDFs for CICN
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 11:22:55 AM »
Great stuff, thanks Steve, Marty and Greg. How many volumes are there? Wonder what ever happened to all those old collectors who were writing in? Recognize Joel and Wafford. This is a great treasure and education for us late commers as to how this hobby evolved. Dave Smiths letters are another treasure....you can just see the hobby expand when ebay comes on line etc. Today we are spoiled with all the books and internet available. Again thanks you guys. Paul

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 12:04:30 PM »
Thanks to Steve, Greg, and Marty for making these available. Years ago I subscribed to these newsletters and they held a wealth of knowledge for a newbie like me. Reading some of the for sale ads may make us yearn for the good old days.
Harry

moosejaw

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 04:49:27 PM »
There are 14 newsletters total.   Please be patient.  It takes me a while to scan these and do touchups in Photoshop.  I eventually want to redo Vol. 1.1 in a higher resolution.  It took me a while to get the scanning resolution down pat, so you will see a difference between the first volume and the second volume.  Thanks to Steve for his willingness to share these with WAGS members.  He put a lot of work into his newsletter and it will be nice to have these preserved for future generations of cast iron collectors.  Thanks also to Greg for uploading these for me. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 01:09:03 AM by Cheryl Watson »

Dimlock

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 12:00:39 AM »
What a great resourse!!!

Thanks to all involved,

Jesse

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 02:04:50 AM »
Well, I'll be...a friend arising from the past.  Thanks Greg and Marty.  My newsletter was meant to inform and now it will be doing so again.  

My offer still stands to those who were original subscribers and who did not get the final three issues from Vol. 3 promised and paid for.  You let me know you want a refund of $10, your current address, and it will be sent.  Don't be bashful- you paid and I didn't deliver.  My apologies for not getting out all the issues I had planned to do.
Steve

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 07:49:29 PM »
Great piece of work Steve!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 01:12:08 AM by Cheryl Watson »
Nowhere But TEXAS!

moosejaw

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 12:12:30 AM »
 I agree......Steve is a piece of work.  :hysterical:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 01:14:52 AM by Cheryl Watson »

Offline Harry Riva

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 12:57:42 PM »
Steve, Will I get interest since 19XX if I ask for a refund? LOL. Whatever I received was worth more than what I paid.
Harry

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 02:31:24 AM »
Harry, I have two choices for you regarding interest.  I can pay you the same amount my bank pays me for interest on my checking account or put the interest into the stamp to mail the refund.  Do either sound like good deals to you?  Any other suggestions?  I'm glad you enjoyed CICN.  Too bad it AND Dave's newsletter are gone.
Steve

Offline Harry Riva

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 01:16:30 PM »
Steve, I was kidding about interest.  
Harry

Offline Harry Riva

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 01:20:28 PM »
Steve, Plus I think I received an unsolicited refund check from you years ago. They were a great series of newsletters back when yours and Dave's newsletters were the only games in town. I got a lot out of both of them.
Harry

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 02:48:56 PM »
Steve, I was kidding about interest.  
Harry
I know that Harry and I was kidding about paying interest.

Steve

Offline Dwayne Henson

• Administrator
  • When the people fear their government, there is
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 11:21:21 PM »
The newsletters are great. I'm looking forward to the others.
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 09:38:46 AM »
Marty just did all of Volume 2 and I just uploaded them.  Let me know if I made a coding error, as I'm swamped and just copied and pasted.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 09:45:51 AM by admin »

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 03:15:21 PM »
All CICN PDF files are not into one large (48 MB) file, if you like.  Thanks to Yair for doing this.

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 07:36:56 AM »
OK,

Volume 3 (3 issues) have been added to the list of PDFs. Yair, you'll need to add those to the Binder to make it complete.  I believe that is the last of the CICNs.

Prairie_Gal

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 02:30:40 PM »
Wow.  HOW did I miss these?  I've been a member for at least a month, and here's all this delicious reading, just sitting here.

I think I need to click on my links and open more threads than I've been doing...

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 05:07:50 AM »
I placed digital signatures on these files (Sept 2009) that were originally made in 2005/2006 by Marty after 9 months of hard work(scanning into Photoshop, adjusting brightness/contrast and making PDFs of each page and then assembly).  Another organization on the Internet received a pirated copy of the original files from the member's side of the FORUM and had them posted on their website.  One of our present or past WAGS members gave another organization the files unlawfully, as Marty's name was on them.  

We had the information on this thread private since October 2005(note date in the first post), but the owner of the paper copies, Steve Stephens has now decided that the other organization can have these files in the public domain.  They have been in the pubic domain since August 18/19, 2009 and were found in the GOOGLE database.  Legally Steve  can do whatever he wants, as he owns the newsletter, but the electronic files are an improvement on the originals, made with Steve's permission and belong to WAGS, the organization that did all the original work and had the original idea.  If the other organization wants to publish the files, then they must make them, not post pirated copies from our organization.  The same organization refuses to state who gave them the files in the first place.

The officers of WAGS decided yesterday that these should also be made publicly available, since the files have been in the public domain and downloaded by countless people at this time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:10:17 AM by admin »