Author Topic: Griswold Logo Help  (Read 3182 times)

Wulfdog

Griswold Logo Help
« on: July 01, 2004, 10:15:27 AM »
Which is older or more valuable, the large logo on the bottom of a pan, or the small logo?

John

Troy_Hockensmith

Re: Griswold Logo Help
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 10:25:45 AM »
http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/faq.html

John,
Here is the link to the left on FAQ that answers some of your questions on Logo's.

A rule of thumb goes ERIE, Then slant then large block then the smalls. The smalls make a difference with whether it actually has the ERIE PA marking with it or  notas to when it was made. IMO the small logo's do not draw the interest of the large logo's on most pieces. There are some exceptions as some pices were only made with the small logo. But the rule of thumb is the small Logo's are not as desired as the large logo's.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 12:09:19 PM »
To expand further on what Troy says, any trademark can be worth more than another one.  It depends on which piece and what size it is on.  A block TM on a No.4 or 5 or 2  skillet is worth way more than the same pan with a slant TM because those three skillets are much harder to find to complete the sets that most collectors like to put together.  In other cases it may be what TM a collector favors for its look.  I'm  not sure you can say a block TM is worth more than a slant TM in general or visa versa.  It would be rare for a small TM pan to be worth more than its counterpard with a large style TM.  Then there are the diamond ERIE TM's and the GRISWOLD'S ERIE marked pans but only a few types of pieces were made with these.  An ERIE No.5 skillet is also worth a premium.  If you are going to collect and value value itself, then get the slant and block TM's.  Sm. TM pans make good users at a good price and do look to me to have the same quality as the earlier Griswold pans on most of them- unlike what some sources say.
Steve

Offline C. B. Williams

• Administrator
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of collecting cookware!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 09:23:58 PM »
One little add here. As a "user" , some electric cooktops and ranges work much better with surface contact. This means the smooth bottomed pans are the ones to use, and all the small logo's have smooth bottoms. I really like the large block smooth bottom for users, just like a real fine tool in the workshop. Available in #2 thru #10 and not toooo bad on the wallet, except the #2. Good to have you here John. ps. If you are going to start this crazy hobby, you need a book, see Griswold and Cast Iron Collectibles to the left, the blue book might be the one to start with. Have fun, C. B.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 09:27:12 PM by cbwilliams »
Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

Wulfdog

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 05:58:51 PM »
Thanks for the great information.  I have two griswolds and the both have the small TM and do work very well on my electric stove.  I have seen several of the Big TM and wondered if it was newer or older.

Again Thanks.

John

Wulfdog

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 06:04:06 PM »
THe bottoms of my pans are like the lower right hand pan.  Smooth bottom small TM.  

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 10:37:50 PM »
 I have seen several of the Big TM and wondered if it was newer or older.

Again Thanks.

John

Oldest to newest:
Slant, Block, Small.  
But there is what I call a "late, large TM" that came out in the mid 1950's on several pieces; No.3 regular skillet, No.2103,6,8 square skillets, many of the casserold dishes, and others.  None are marked EPU (Erie, PA, USA) but only Erie, PA or without the Erie, PA.  These have no added or lessor value and the late large TM is slightly different in size and detail as the 1920's-40 large block TM.
The TM on the No.0 skillets is the large TM by the way but it is smaller than the small TM.  It's just a very small version of the large TM and has the same detail as the larger ones while the sm TM  is shallower and has different print and proportions.  Small TM pans will never be marked EPU but only Erie, PA.  (There might be an exception as Griswold never always did things in a logical way.)
Steve