Author Topic: W E L C O M E !!!! Guests, regular and WAGS members  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
W E L C O M E !!!! Guests, regular and WAGS members
« on: February 13, 2021, 11:25:47 AM »
A HUGE thank you to our developer, Charles for getting our YaBB forum converted to SMF.  Charles had to rewrite code for the converter to work, as many others have tried to convert YaBB 2.6.11 and have failed, but Charles worked his magic and coding knowledge to move/convert us onto new software.  I must say that there is a lot to learn about this software, but this FORUM now flies as we are not PERL and HTML bound, but are PHP and MySQL based now. 

I will start a BOARD and thread on the FORUM for you to make note of problems with URLs, pictures, links, coding, etc. so that the ADMINS and MODS can address them and then delete those posts as they are fixed.  We know that any links to the old YABB will need to be fixed, if you find any of those (NOTE: there are over 900+ according to our database and we have a list of them), we most likely have them on our list of issues.  If you see coding errors in posts, like [color =] or other [codes] inside [], let us know and we can fix those too.  It will take awhile to get this all fixed, but it is fixed enough, so that we can post and enjoy our hobby there again.

Member groups:
There are three member groups now (besides the STAFF of ADMINS, MODS).
1. GUESTS  - Guests can access some Boards and also post for now. We will be re-evaluating this aspect, as I'm afraid of bots/spiders and partly hackers being able to post here. If this becomes an issue, then all GUESTS will need to register to post and also read. You can thank the hackers for these rules and their rudeness.

2. Regular members. Regulars are those that register for the FORUM. You will have a first and last name displayed so that when we search for WAGS members, we can easily ID them from all of the Regular members.  Regulars have access to more of the FORUM.

3. WAGS members. WAGS is a non-profit society of cast iron and aluminum cookware enthusiasts.  It is our hobby, and our FORUM which we pay A LOT of money to maintain, as we are on our own dedicated server. WAGS members have access to WAAAAAAAY more content than the other groups. It is a very small price to pay each year to have unlimited access to the content, which grows each and every day.
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline Jim Fuchs

• WAGS member
  • Phoenix Works
Re: W E L C O M E !!!! Guests, regular and WAGS members
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 04:11:18 PM »
A big THANK YOU to Charles, for your expertise, and to Greg S., and all of those who help keep our FORUM running, so that we may continue to enjoy the access to our data files, and keep in touch with one another. I agree...no other site even come close to what we here at WAGS offer.

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 11:13:38 AM »
Thank you Charles and Greg for making this happen.  It went very smoothly and that is due to you both.    Awesome job!
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 11:43:38 AM »
Charles is da man!! He was and is awesome!!

Offline Scott Sanders

• Administrator
  • I'll look for iron just about anywhere
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 02:46:32 PM »
Thank you all for the work you put into this.  So, on my Welcome letters to "new members", I should change "Visitor" to "Regular Member" and "Member" to "WAGS Member".  Just my 2cents....I would vote to do away with "Guests", as described, and leave it the way it is.....just read and NO posts.  Why wait for the headaches!!

Scott
Register as a Bone Marrow Donor and give Blood when you can....The life you save is someone's Loved One.  https://bethematch.org/support-the-cause/donate-bone-marrow/

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 04:14:24 PM »
So, on my Welcome letters to "new members", I should change "Visitor" to "Regular Member" and "Member" to "WAGS Member".
Scott
Anyone that registers on the forum is a “regular” member. When you write your letter just tell them to register and when they do; you come in and change the member group to WAGS member.

A Guest is a “looker” and they only see some board, can read some but cannot post to any board

Offline Scott Sanders

• Administrator
  • I'll look for iron just about anywhere
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 04:32:43 PM »
1. GUESTS  - Guests can access some Boards and also post for now. We will be re-evaluating this aspect, as I'm afraid of bots/spiders and partly hackers being able to post here. If this becomes an issue, then all GUESTS will need to register to post and also read. You can thank the hackers for these rules and their rudeness.

So, you already decided to just leave "Guests" as lookers only....Good

Scott
Register as a Bone Marrow Donor and give Blood when you can....The life you save is someone's Loved One.  https://bethematch.org/support-the-cause/donate-bone-marrow/

Offline Debbie Sanders

• WAGS member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 05:13:03 PM »
I am techy challenged first off so I don't know if this is comment is relevant or not.  I notice when I log in, this is not a secure site.  My computer has fits trying to stop me from entering the unsecure world....while I appreciate my laptop caring about me, it is a pain in the patootie.  :crazy: Does being "Not secure" allow hackers, bots and spammers an easier access to this awesome place?   

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 05:33:23 PM »
Debbie,

Hopefully this post will explain it... :)

http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/forum/index.php?topic=10203.msg90006#msg90006

I believe the answer is still valid... :)

Offline Lee Bowen

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 06:22:28 PM »
May be a glitch, but when I signed on a few minutes ago, I did not have the Members' section come up. Is this just a one-time thing or am I missing something?  I have really come to appreciate all the info on the Darkside. 

Offline Lee Bowen

• WAGS member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 06:26:59 PM »
Never mind, I hit a different button, and I am back on track.   :rolleyes:

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 07:30:25 PM »
I am techy challenged first off so I don't know if this is comment is relevant or not.  I notice when I log in, this is not a secure site.  My computer has fits trying to stop me from entering the unsecure world....while I appreciate my laptop caring about me, it is a pain in the patootie.  :crazy: Does being "Not secure" allow hackers, bots and spammers an easier access to this awesome place?   
This is just a Google scare. We don’t use https: since we are NOT a commerce site. We are a nonprofit organization and the costs associated with maintaining a commerce site makes zero sense. This site is secure for our simple posts.

Offline Debbie Sanders

• WAGS member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 11:46:30 PM »
Greg and Cheryl......  My computer knows its ok to venture here now....it only took a few bad words and threats of throwing it against the wall for it to start cooperating(until I clear the history and everything is new again)......I was mainly questioning if it was easier for the bad guys, bots, etc to come in and cause chaos and major headaches for you because it wasn't an https.  Just thinking out loud about something I have no clue about :grin: :grin: :grin:  I'll go back to absorbing information now :laugh:

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 12:06:24 AM »
Debbie, I just couldn't resist taking it to Google.... :grin: :grin:

https://www.guru99.com/difference-http-vs-https.html

We believe we have finally vanquished 'da BOTS'....  :cool: :cool:

Offline Debbie Sanders

• WAGS member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 02:43:32 AM »
Debbie, I just couldn't resist taking it to Google.... :grin: :grin:

https://www.guru99.com/difference-http-vs-https.html

We believe we have finally vanquished 'da BOTS'....  :cool: :cool:

A big chunk of that was almost like a foreign language....I had found a different link....it was even more foreign! :grin: :grin: :grin:  Bye bye bots   :woohoonaner2gy:

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2021, 10:11:29 AM »
A BIG THANK YOU to Greg and ALL others who made this new "rig" happen! :vrolijk_26: Although the urge occasionally crosses our mind, we don't do Facebook, Twitter or any other "battle ground" sites. So this forum is really valuable to me! THANK Y'ALL AGAIN! :thumbsup: 

Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline Lee Bowen

• WAGS member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2021, 06:39:47 PM »
 Like Duke, this is just about all the social media that I do.  My one time to visit my wife's Facebook page almost ended in divorce, so I don't do that stuff at all. Thanks to all of you that keep the wheels from falling off this well-oiled machine.  :dankk2: :adminpower: