Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The horror. (Read 222 times)
Cheryl Watson
WAGS member

The HersheyPark Kitty

South Central Pennsylvania
Re: The horror.
Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 3:30am

PS... when I say 100% white vinegar.... that is not a 50/50 mix... btw... Smiley Smiley

https://www.facebook.com/cheryl.watson.1291  
IP Logged

Cheryl Watson
WAGS member

The HersheyPark Kitty

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 3:25am

Well now...

My OCD would be telling me that NOW is the time to plop that puppy into the Electro for about 12 hours.....

Grin Grin Grin
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I'd tell ya to keep it a 'secret' between us...

But... danged I went and posted all this on a PUBLIC , free to everyone,

BOARD!! 

LOL

IP Logged

Spurgeon Hendrick
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
cast iron collecting.

Marietta, GA
Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 2:01am

Cheryl ... I humbly bow in you general direction. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for the vinegar tip!!

It took lots and lots of vinegar baths. (I was at it for several hours ... eventually increasing the time of each soak to 20 and then 30 minutes). My arm is sore. My shoulder is sore. Even my back is sore. But Iím happy, happy, happy.

It still has some stains, but the water is clear when I scrub them, so I guess this is as good as it gets. (I decided not to worry about the insides of the pock marks on the cooking surface.)

Itís in the oven warming up now. I hope I can get it seasoned without too much bleed out from this pock marks!

IP Logged

Duke Gilleland
WAGS member

cast iron collecting!

Belton Texas
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 12:25am

If it holds water it's a great user. Them spot/places give it character! Wink Smiley

Nowhere But TEXAS!

IP Logged

Spurgeon Hendrick
WAGS member

cast iron collecting.

Marietta, GA
Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 8:37pm

Thanks. Iíll give that a try!

IP Logged

Cheryl Watson
WAGS member

The HersheyPark Kitty

Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 6:24am

Imbedded bad rust, most likely....

Spray with 100% White Vinegar, wait 2-3 minutes, scrub with SS scrubby under cold running water.... watch the color of the rinse water...

Spray, repeat...

Spray, repeat...

You may see red starting to rinse off about round 3 or so...

Or it may just be converted black rust that isn't letting go... either way, the 100% Vinegar scrubs should show you more....

Just restored two of these for the next door Neighbor... an 8 and 10 Stylized w/Size...
they were so nasty, that I could not Identify them until after the Lye Bath...

Both of those came out 100% perfect!  He was stunned when I handed him his 4 skillets...

His jaw dropped and he said, "BUT... they look Brand New!"

I smiled, and said, "Told you so!... What have I been saying for the past 8 years or so.... LOL.  Told ya I was really, really Good At This!" 

IP Logged

Spurgeon Hendrick
WAGS member

cast iron collecting.

Marietta, GA
The horror.
Oct 25th, 2018 at 2:33am

Well, for the first time in my life, I feel a little like Marlon Brando. When I took this Wagner out of the e-tank, all I could think was, ďThe horror. ... The horror.Ē

When I bought this sucker, I thought it was gonna be dang near perfect. I could see the deep, circular pits on the cooking surface, but Never thought I would find a replica of the surface of the moon in a whole section!

It also has a weird splotchiness to it. Iím hoping a few rounds of seasoning will even it out some.

So far: Several days, maybe even a week?, in the lye bucket, a few days in the e-tank, 0000 steel wool, several toothpicks, 20 minutes soaking in a thick layer of Dawn Power Dissolver, and then more steel wool.

Any idea what caused the splotchiness? The picture of the bottom, taken at an angle, is the best of these, in terms of showing the true color.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print