Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help with identifying broiler (Read 515 times)
Bobby Rodriguez
Forum Visitor

WAGS: The heartbeat of
cast iron collecting.

Santa Paula, CA
Re: Help with identifying broiler
Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 11:50pm

Man, that thing's COOL!!!

IP Logged

John Laing
WAGS member

Using iron daily for 36
years and counting!

NC
Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 6:53am

I also think new...I didnít want to! Iíve now seen 3 or 4, they all have crisp sharp castings, with that dang bolt. If it walks like a duck and quacks.......

IP Logged

Valerie Johnson
WAGS member

WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast
Iron Cookware Collecting

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 11:00am

Here is the eBay listing, This one looks new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/cast-iron-3-legged-Rotating-Hearth-broiler/183330720632...

The chamfered edge on the bolt/nut would indicate a more modern manufacture, that does not mean the piece is not old and that the bolt was not replaced with a more modern one. These pieces appear to have a carriage bolt that comes thru from the top with a nut on the bottom
Just my opinion

IP Logged

John Laing
WAGS member

Using iron daily for 36
years and counting!

NC
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:28am

Hereís an update...there is one on eBay now, and I talked to a guy that saw several on there last year. Iím thinking of checking into re-enactment suppliers or historical gift shop suppliers. I donít think there is a sudden supply of fragile 160 year cast iron broilers.

IP Logged

Jim Fuchs
WAGS member

Phoenix Works

N.W. Pennsylvania
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2018 at 4:54pm

† †What a neat old piece John. I would say not a repo, but the real deal.† Google antique rotating hearth broiler, and there is plenty to see. Here is a bit/backround on some of the hearth cooking tools ..
Edit to add: The age would be difficult. These and similar hearth revolving broilers were made up through the 1860's. Based on the Hex nut used on the bottom....that  would be my guess. Most early ones were blacksmith made (wrought iron), but casted like this, and the style to me indicates mid 1800's ( prox. 1850-60's)  The hex nut was invented earlier than most realize...1830's. That's my feel on this. There are many sites re: hearth ware(s), and books available as well.

https://yvesforge.wordpress.com/2015/03/03/les-grils-du-plus-humble-au-gril-au-c
ygne/

IP Logged

John Laing
WAGS member

Using iron daily for 36
years and counting!

NC
Help with identifying broiler
May 22nd, 2018 at 4:37am

I came across this piece, itís been for sale for quite some time. Repro? Please correct me if this should go in another topic...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print