Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do I need to start over on this Griswold slant logo Scotch Bowl? (Read 379 times)
Spurgeon Hendrick
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
cast iron collecting.

Marietta, GA
Re: Do I need to start over on this Griswold slant logo Scotch Bowl?
Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2018 at 1:31am

Thanks guys. Oh well, I’ll season it a couple of more times see if it gets any better.

(And to add insult to injry ... I stopped at an antique store during lunch today and they had a pristine “Wagner” Sidney scotch bowl #2 ... mocking me with its smooth and shiny surface. Of course, it was three times more than I wanted to pay.

IP Logged

Herman Gagne
WAGS member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Montreal
Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2018 at 9:14pm

You're correct about the seasoning having soaked in, in the pitted areas; that's why it's not as shiny as the areas without pitting. Every seasoning application gives a bit darker color, but in this case, the pitting areas are just going to keep absorbing the oil until the "craters are filled; may be a thicker coating of oil on the pitted areas?

Good luck

IP Logged

Russell Ware
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast
Iron Cookware Collecting

USA
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2018 at 8:28pm

I would say there is a good chance you still have some rust in the pitted areas. I would re-clean.

IP Logged

Janis Berzins
WAGS member

WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast
Iron Cookware Collecting

Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2018 at 6:50pm

Looks to me like there is some damage in those areas. You can certainly try stripping it again, but it looks like the dmage may be permanent to me.

IP Logged

Spurgeon Hendrick
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
cast iron collecting.

Marietta, GA
Do I need to start over on this Griswold slant logo Scotch Bowl?
May 2nd, 2018 at 2:28pm

Hey guys, is this Scotch Bowl salvageable? I knew if was going to have some pitting, but it’s got a weird splotchiness to it. (Is that a word?) I wish I had taken a picture before I seasoned it. The pitted areas still had some black specs in them that I couldn’t get out. I figured I would just season over them. But the result is odd. It’s like the seasoning soaked in, in some areas, and not in others. I’m not sure you can see it in the pictures. The splotchiness (there’s that word again) comes from the rougher areas having a lighter color.

Should I strip it again and leave it longer in the e-tank? (It was in there for several days on a 2 amp setting). Or, is this the best I can hope for? I wonder if a few more rounds of seasoning would even out the color?

I can handle the pitting, but the splotchiness drives me nuts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print