Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Marietta, PA; M H & E CO # 16 (Read 128 times)
Tom Sperduto
Forum Visitor

WAGS: The heartbeat of
cast iron collecting.

Palm Springs, CA
Marietta, PA; M H & E CO # 16
Nov 30th, 2017 at 4:36am

I recently purchase at auction a lot of cast iron skillets and cauldrons etc.  This is my first post of a cooking pot.  I don't know if it is a cauldron, gypsy pot, bean pot, ? I could find nothing on it anywhere. Lots om M H & E Co but nothing this size. It has a 16 on the lip of the pot and also on the bottom. it has the Marietta, PA and M H & E co on the bottom but is hard to see.  Did my best with the pics.  Please let me know if I can take better pictures. I will do 2 sets of 4 pics, if I sized them right.  LOL.

IP Logged

Tom Sperduto
Forum Visitor

WAGS: The heartbeat of
cast iron collecting.

Palm Springs, CA
Re: Marietta, PA; M H & E CO # 16
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 4:38am

This is the 2nd set of 4 pictures

IP Logged

Cheryl Watson
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

The HersheyPark Kitty

South Central Pennsylvania
Re: Marietta, PA; M H & E CO # 16
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 1:44am

Tom, the piece you posted appears to be a Maislin kettle. The 16 would indicate "16 quarts", and most likely is Marietta Hollow-ware and Enameling.
(Circa 1880 or so).

Just a few weeks ago, we started a new Early Iron Board on the Members side of our Forum, and one of the donated items archived is a Marietta Hollow-Ware and Enameling Catalog. 

This link also gives some interesting information:  http://panman.com/marietta-foundries/

Just a footnote, the article linked to above, was written quite some time ago, and has some inaccuracies:  e.g. the reference to SM & Co... This is now known to be a foundry from out in the Pittsburgh area... Smiley Smiley

cheryl.watson.1291  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print