Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O'Brien & O'Brien, Chicago, Ill DO Info Requested (Read 1487 times)
Lee Bowen
Forum Visitor

WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast
Iron Cookware Collecting

Livingston, Tx
Re: O'Brien & O'Brien, Chicago, Ill DO Info Requested
Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 11:22pm

I appreciate the info, and the effort it has taken to glean as much as you have.  Regardless of the history of the O&O hollow ware, or the lack of knowledge of the foundry, the DO performed quite well, not only on the stove top, but in the oven as well.  Well crafted, with smooth interior, and a nifty external heat ring, it ranks right up there with my Martin, or Birmingham, or even my older Lodge for performance.

IP Logged

Randy Eckstein
WAGS member

WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast
Iron Cookware Collecting

Highland, IL
Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:51am

I did some digging in the old Forum, available only to WAGS members.  Corinne Wetzel had found some historical info and a couple others, Cheryl Watson and Jim Fuchs had found a bankruptcy sale for Crescent in 1931 which was earlier than I had recalled.  There may have been some connections (not completely flushed out) between some foundries using the name Crescent that turned up in Springfield, MO and O'Brien that was in Peoria, IL and Chicago.  Could be that like CHF bought Favorite patterns that Mi-Pet and O and O did the same with Crescent??

The good chefs never burn anything--we call it "culinary brown"!!

IP Logged

Randy Eckstein
WAGS member

WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast
Iron Cookware Collecting

Highland, IL
Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 3:50am

Terry Wharton wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 1:45pm:
I've long wondered what, if any, association existed between Obrien & Obrien and Crescent Ozark. They're virtually identical from the bee hive covers to the manner in which they are marked underneath and there's the  proximity of Chicago and St. Louis.

Terry, I'm of the same opinion and will include Mi-Pet in the discussion as well.  They all used similar font, had the tight circular logo on the bottoms.  Some of the Crescent pieces are also marked Union Made. The few pieces of O'Brien I've seen are heavier than other makers of the same size.

Someone maybe 2 years ago had dug up some info on Crescent that no one had posted before and IIRC, they were operating as early as the late 19 teens and 1920's in St. Louis.  We know that CHF bought patterns from Favorite after they went BK in 1933 or so.  Could Mi-Pet and O and O have contracted with Crescent to be a presence in the Chicago market as competition to CHF?? 

The good chefs never burn anything--we call it "culinary brown"!!

IP Logged

Lee Bowen
Forum Visitor

Iron Cookware Collecting

Livingston, Tx
Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 2:40am

Broke out my O &O dutch oven and a #9 unmarked skillet that fits a Wagner lid and whipped up a pot roast and a pone of corn bread that was fit for royalty.  Hurt myself, almost, and cleanup took less than five minutes (for the CI). The O&O is an excellent choice for not only the stovetop but the oven as well.

IP Logged

Terry Wharton
WAGS member

Toledo #6 OBI Punch Press

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 1:45pm

I've long wondered what, if any, association existed between Obrien & Obrien and Crescent Ozark. They're virtually identical from the bee hive covers to the manner in which they are marked underneath and there's the  proximity of Chicago and St. Louis.

Castironitis is a many-headed hydra!

IP Logged

Lee Bowen
Forum Visitor

Iron Cookware Collecting

Livingston, Tx
Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 12:42pm

Thanks ya'll, I ran into a similar lack of information when I Googled the name, and noticed that the Dark Side has a list of CI Manufacturers, and O&O is listed, but when I clicked on the link, I got redirected, so that will be a research project for my limited slack time.  Again, thank you.

IP Logged

Duke Gilleland
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
cast iron collecting!

Belton Texas
Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 10:32am

Came across some O & O years ago. Not much info available Undecided

Nowhere But TEXAS!

IP Logged

Valerie Johnson
WAGS member

Iron Cookware Collecting

Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 8:47am

I had a small skillet marked O'Brien & O'Brien Chicago Ill a while ago, I was never able to find out much about them

IP Logged

Lee Bowen
Forum Visitor

Iron Cookware Collecting

Livingston, Tx
O'Brien & O'Brien, Chicago, Ill DO Info Requested
Nov 29th, 2017 at 4:56am

I recently acquired an O'Brien & O'Brien Dutch Oven, Chicago, Ill.  Does anyone have any information regarding the foundry that produced this line of cookware?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print