Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Attack of the "B" Pattern - Why the different locations? (Read 160 times)
Logan Ames
Forum Visitor

WAGS: The heartbeat of
cast iron collecting.

San Diego, CA
The Attack of the "B" Pattern - Why the different locations?
Nov 18th, 2017 at 5:46pm

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and pretty darn new to cast iron as of this year, but have been completing a small collection of cast iron skillets for kitchen use (and trying to use that as my arguement that I'm not "collecting" or going to have "too many"  Grin).

I have three Wagner Ware Sidney O skillets of the 1935 - 1959 variety, having started with a #8 and then adding a #5 and #10 more recently. I was pleasantly surprised to find I had somehow ended up with three pans of the B pattern: 1055 B, 1058 B, & 1060 B.

The interesting thing is the placement of the pattern's letter. My #5 has the B imprinted below the 1055. My #10 has the B imprinted directly after the 1060. My #8 was the surprise! I hadn't realized it had a pattern letter at all since the 1058 is all by itself. During seasoning, I discovered a B imprinted on the back of the handle - was that a common location?

My question is... does the location of the text 'B' have any significance?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Edited: Replaced a word with a better word for clearer understanding.

IP Logged

Cheryl Watson

The HersheyPark Kitty

South Central Pennsylvania
Re: The Attack of the "B" Pattern - Why the differences?
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2017 at 5:53pm

Hi Logan!  and Welcome to WAGS!

The 'B' would be considered a Pattern Mark that may have been used as an identifier of the actual pattern, or to identify the position of an item on the pattern.  Only the manufacturer knows/knew what it meant to them.  We have not found the pattern marks to be of any 'significance' to us, as collectors.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print