Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My Wife called me... (Read 1485 times)
Susan Salsburg
WAGS member

WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast
Iron Cookware Collecting

South Jersey
Re: My Wife called me...
Reply #20 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:23pm

That is so ugly. A good braze would just be a thin brassy colored line.

IP Logged

C. Perry Rapier
WAGS member

Greenville
Reply #21 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 4:54pm

Hello Terry, what does 'somebody was blocking them off ,mean? I've no clue what that means.  Undecided

<div style=

IP Logged

Terry Wharton
WAGS member

Toledo #6 OBI Punch Press

Reply #22 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:57pm

Hello Perry, in the old days an alternative to buying pricey  aftermarket cast iron exhaust headers for a six-cylinder inline engine was to take a cutting torch and burn a hole in one end of the stock exhaust manifold, weld on a new outlet utilizing a flange cabbaged from something else, then a blocking plate would be welded in somewhere within the manifold to redirect half of the exhaust gas to that new outlet (sorry, but I don't know that much about it). The resulting racket was something different than that produced by headers and from what I heard growing up, Chevys for some reason had their unique sound. As much as anything, it was a way for kids with little $$$ to get around pricey speed shop equipment.

Castironitis is a many-headed hydra!

IP Logged

Farold Hoover
Global Moderator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
cast iron collecting.

Oxford, KS
Reply #23 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 11:45pm

C. Perry Rapier wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:55am:
Dwayne Henson wrote on Sep 5th, 2017 at 11:58pm:
Do you know a good welder that owes you a favor? 

As many years as I have been involved in cast iron cookware I have always HEARD about cast iron cookware welders BUT, I have never seen a welded piece nor have I EVER met a cast iron cookware welder. They are like elves. Everybody talks about them, everybody knows there are there, but you just never see them. OR you hear about a man that knew a man that knew a man that knew a cast iron welder's brother. But that's as close as I ever got.

Hey Perry this is what you get when a NASCAR trackside welder stops in to visit and you have a proken paddle laying on the bench Cheesy.  Wyatt Swaim is a good friend and customer at the shop for machine work.  Owns http://www.tigdepot.net/

weld1.jpg (221 KB | 5 )
weld1.jpg
weld_2.jpg (157 KB | 5 )
weld_2.jpg
weld_3.jpg (191 KB | 4 )
weld_3.jpg

No man ever stood so tall as a man who stoops to help a child
farold hoover  
IP Logged

Chuck Rogers
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS:  She Finds The Iron
For Me

South Eastern
Reply #24 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 3:02am

Now that is one fine repair. We all need to have a welder like that as a friend.

"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

IP Logged

C. Perry Rapier
WAGS member

Greenville
Reply #25 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 3:52am

The repair looks like it has been brazed. And it has been brazed with iron that is of another color so you can see that repair a mile away. And the repair sticks up and away.

If this piece was being brazed so it could be put back in service then I will say this welder did a great job and I applaud his work. However this piece was not welded so it could be put back in service, was it?

As for fixing a piece that is a showpiece I don't think the work is all that good at all. I don't mean to be mean and throw off on this guys work, but I sure don't see anything to brag about.

<div style=

IP Logged

Farold Hoover
Global Moderator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
cast iron collecting.

Oxford, KS
Reply #26 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 8:42pm

C. Perry Rapier wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 3:52am:
The repair looks like it has been brazed. And it has been brazed with iron that is of another color so you can see that repair a mile away. And the repair sticks up and away.

If this piece was being brazed so it could be put back in service then I will say this welder did a great job and I applaud his work. However this piece was not welded so it could be put back in service, was it?

As for fixing a piece that is a showpiece I don't think the work is all that good at all. I don't mean to be mean and throw off on this guys work, but I sure don't see anything to brag about. 

It was tig welded with nickle rod. He welded to get enough penetration to hand finish to match the piece. He used very minimal heat as not to cause a major issue with the iron weakening or cracking. I did the bottom side but never did the top left it as welded

No man ever stood so tall as a man who stoops to help a child
farold hoover  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print