Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
WAGS forum down for one month (Read 11691 times)
Greg Stahl
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

Ole Scratch

Clinton, MA
WAGS forum down for one month
Jul 30th, 2014 at 2:52am

It is late, but I will write up what happened to the FORUM and why it was down for so long.  good night

"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!"  Alice Cooper.  Cast iron cookware for sale, selling entire collection, updates ASAP HERE
WWW MBLMASP greg.stahl1  
IP Logged

Jim Glatthaar
WAGS member

WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast
Iron Cookware Collecting

White Plains, NY
Re: WAGS forum down for one month
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 4:19am

Greg, thanks to you and all the others who worked  tirelessly so the rest of us could enjoy the forum, or, should I say, get our daily fix.  I really missed not having the forum to peruse at the end of a long day.  And I'm sure I speak for all of us.   Wink

IP Logged

Sue Brady
Forum Visitor

La Grande, OR
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 5:29am

I agree.  Thank you all so much for all your hard work in restoring the forum!

IP Logged

Stuart Lowery
WAGS member

WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast
Iron Cookware Collecting

Redford, Mi.
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 6:21am

Before the list of thanks get too long Wink Thank you, to all that helped with the fix.

IP Logged

Duke Gilleland
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
cast iron collecting!

Belton Texas
Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 10:20am

THANKS to all who helped get the site back on the road! Appreciate it more than y'all will ever know! Smiley

Nowhere But TEXAS!

IP Logged

Bill Corum
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
cast iron collecting!

Sarcoxie
Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 10:56am

Thanks to all who got the form back up.

Bill

Cast Iron College of Knowledge

IP Logged

Paul Okarma
WAGS member

Iron Cookware Collecting

Marlborough, MA
Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 12:20pm

Thanks, Greg!

Took a second to remember my log in information.  Smiley

IP Logged

Greg Stahl
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

Ole Scratch

Clinton, MA
Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 1:04pm

On June 27, 2014, our Host had a hardware problem and this was announced on their boards.  Several members contacted me that the FORUM was not working and according to our Host, it was a result of their hardware problem and that we should be fine in a few hours.  Several hours went by and I called the Host and they said, “we can access your site fine, but we’ll reboot your server and give it a few hours. “  On June 28th, I still could not FTP to our site and called again.  They said they will investigate and that evening I got a call from our Host stating that our hard drive had crashed and you’ll have to send us your last backup and we will restore the site.
During the week of  June 16th, Harvard forced me to get rid of my XP windows machine in my office, as it was vulnerable to ‘hacking’ and they got me a Windows 7 machine.  I saved all the WAGS backup files onto my work server and then took my perfectly good XP machine home to replace my old home XP machine that also had backup files for WAGS.  However, I had issues with my office computer at home and took it back to our IT guys and they wiped the drives (and all my backup WAGS files) so that it would work at home.  I took it home installed it and got rid of my home computer (mistake #1, as now I have no files for WAGS at home).  Meanwhile at my office, I deleted the WAGS files from our Department server, as they were taking up space (mistake #2, as now, I have no backup files or so I thought).  The following week was when the HD crashed at the host and I had backup files on that server, but never downloaded them from Feb 14th.  Now we are in the first week of July and my family vacation start on July 5th.  I informed the Host that I wanted the hard drive that crashed and that we would pay for forensic recovery of the files, as I wanted that Feb 14 backup file.  Since I was on vacation, Cheryl Watson agreed to handle the logistics.  The CBL company restored almost 100% of the files and also tested the backup file and it was perfect.  So all we had to do was get the files to the new HD and server at the host.  That took another week, but they still have not uploaded the files, so yesterday I manually put them all back up and had the host unpack the backup before I uploaded the files. All in all, it took about 10 hours to get what we have today.  I did find backups for the storage site and also the home URL, but they are dated, so if someone finds missing items, let the ADMINS know and we’ll get up uploaded, as we have backups for all the items on the storage website (foundries, pups, old catalogs, PDFs, etc.).  The home page is also several years old and I will need to upload replacement files there too. 

"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!"  Alice Cooper.  Cast iron cookware for sale, selling entire collection, updates ASAP HERE
WWW MBLMASP greg.stahl1  
IP Logged

Paul Okarma
WAGS member

Iron Cookware Collecting

Marlborough, MA
Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 1:29pm

Life was so much simpler growing up without computers.  Smiley

Greg, have you seen that there's a display of glass sea creatures at the Museum of Natural History.  Article says that many haven't been on display for over a century and some maybe never placed on display before.  Going to go in to work with nan some day to check it out.

http://www.hmnh.harvard.edu/exhibits/index.php

IP Logged

Steve Butler
Forum Visitor

Iron Cookware Collecting

Jackson, TN
Reply #9 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 1:51pm

Greg, I don't understand any of that but thank you for all the hard work. Also Cheryl and others that put in the time. I guess WAGS just had so much knowledge that it blew  up. Well done

IP Logged

Mike Goulet
Forum Visitor

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 2:56pm

Great to see the forum back up again,   hope you manage to get it all

Smiley

IP Logged

Greg Stahl
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

Ole Scratch

Clinton, MA
Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 3:09pm

if you see anything missing, let me know.  I believe we got 100% of the FORUM and 99.9% of all the additional information that WAGS members have access to on the Members' side.

Mike Goulet wrote on Jul 30th, 2014 at 2:56pm:
Great to see the forum back up again,   hope you manage to get it all

Smiley

WWW MBLMASP greg.stahl1  
IP Logged

Jim Fuchs
WAGS member

Phoenix Works

N.W. Pennsylvania
Reply #12 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 3:39pm

Thank you Greg, Cheryl, and everyone who works so very hard to gives us the very best cast iron forum second to none. You guys are simply the best !  Smiley

IP Logged

Claudia Killebrew
WAGS member

Iron Cookware Collecting

White Marsh, MD
Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 5:19pm

Thanks to all involved for all your hard work.

IP Logged

Greg Stahl
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

Ole Scratch

Clinton, MA
Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 7:28pm

WAGS members!!!

NOTE:  We have a server side error that is not allowing us to give you access the foundry list, pup list, PDFs, etc.  This is also affecting the other domains that we use, not just the FORUM domain, as well as my online store.  I have several emails into the HOST, as this is obviously a server side problem.  Hopefully, we can get this corrected before too long.

WWW MBLMASP greg.stahl1  
IP Logged

Ken Davis
WAGS member

Everything tastes better
on iron.

Caldwell, ID
Reply #15 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 6:04pm

All the hard work is very much appreciated .. all of you that worked to get things back online.

THANK YOU!

IP Logged

Chuck Fredrickson
Forum Visitor

LADY LIBERTY not cast
iron but well seasoned

Albany Capital District
Reply #16 - Aug 1st, 2014 at 5:10am

Hat's off to all.!..!!!

~chuck

IP Logged

Frank Burkhead
Forum Visitor

I Bleed Rust

Reply #17 - Aug 1st, 2014 at 5:52am

If I may add my voice to the chorus - THANK YOU for all your hard work!!

Wow, forensic recovery of the server hard drive... YIKES!!! I just went through the same thing with one of my backup hard drives, used for archiving old files. Happily it was just the power supply that had failed.

Thank you for your dedication to getting the job done so well and with such little loss in the face of these rather major failures.  Smiley

IP Logged

Greg Stahl
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

Ole Scratch

Clinton, MA
Reply #18 - Aug 1st, 2014 at 11:43am

as far as I can tell, all errors are now fixed.  if you seen anything that is not working, let me know via PM/IM/email.

WWW MBLMASP greg.stahl1  
IP Logged

Mark Zizzi
WAGS member

Doesn't like warped bottoms

Upstate NY
Reply #19 - Aug 2nd, 2014 at 2:05pm

The forum is back....yayyyyyyyy!!!!

Thank you Greg and Cheryl for all you do...I really missed this place!
Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print