Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What started you on CI, sorry if this a repost (Read 12032 times)
C. Perry Rapier
WAGS member

Greenville
Re: What started you on CI, sorry if this a repost
Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 11:43pm

Wow Keith. You sure got some cast iron goin on there. Thanks for sharing.  Smiley

<div style=

IP Logged

Keith Rumgay
WAGS member

WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast
Iron Cookware Collecting

Milwaukie ,Oregon
Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 10:43pm

4 years ago I kept seeing CI at Sales, I found this site and that was it for me a year later I joined and now. Grin Undecided where do I put all of it BUT what FUN Smiley  the cars live in there too

DSCN5425.JPG (84 KB | 149 )
DSCN5425.JPG
DSCN5426.JPG (85 KB | 142 )
DSCN5426.JPG
DSCN5427.JPG (89 KB | 135 )
DSCN5427.JPG

IP Logged

Ken Davis
WAGS member

Everything tastes better
on iron.

Caldwell, ID
Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 5:12pm

I remember back in the '50s ... my mom and grandma cooking in cast iron ... mostly skillets. I did my first cooking in one at age 6.

Somewhere over the years, I acquired a 12" skillet but had no knowledge of makers or values, other than cooking. I used that skillet for years but cannot tell you what, if anything, was on the bottom of it. One day about two years ago, someone poured too-cold water into the too-hot sweet thing and she cracked in the prettiest spiral you ever did see. I was heartbroken.

When my mother-in-law heard, she bought me a replacement at a yard sale. She almost never pays more than $2 for anything, so I know she got it cheap. It was a crusty old thing but quite smooth inside. The only detail visible was 10 on the top of the handle and the outside heat ring. Out of curiosity, I cleaned it in a trash bag with oven cleaner, something I learned right here. Not a speck of rust on it. It seasoned up to perfection.

Turned out to be a WWSO 1060 c with a ghost of 10 c at 6 o'clock and one flow mark across the bottom (looks more like sand slippage, actually). That ghost and the flow mark, along with the treasure trove of info here, piqued my curiosity even more and I here I am.

After restoring the skillet from my mother-in-law, I retrieved my favorite camping skillet from the grub box. Turns out it's a Griswold No. 6 SB with grooved handle. It also cleaned up to perfection. Don't recall just where I got that one, but suspect it was grandad's.

I began "collecting" in about Sept of last year and am already up to more than 3 dozen pieces, including the 8", 10" and 12" Lodge COs I've had for a while but used relatively little. Everything I now have is used pretty regularly, except for the Griswold No. 10 muffin pan and three or four small skillets, all of which I'm still working on.

Everything CI now catches my eye and I've had to put myself on a strict CI budget.
    Cry

IP Logged

Janis Berzins
WAGS member

Iron Cookware Collecting

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 2:47pm

Dwayne Henson wrote on Apr 3rd, 2014 at 3:17am:
We have an older neighbor that found out my one daughter like hinting, and that we cooked outdoors. One day he showed up with his pickup. He gave us a few Coleman stoves, a few COs, a Griswold Chicken Fryer with lid. One of the COs was obviously older, so I started to look for more information, and found this site, and never left. Here's a pic of that COs lid.

What a great start. I love those old Coleman stoves as well. I have sort of started to collect some of the lanterns as well.

IP Logged

Dwayne Henson
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

When the people fear their
government, there is

Amarillo, TX
Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 3:17am

We have an older neighbor that found out my one daughter like hinting, and that we cooked outdoors. One day he showed up with his pickup. He gave us a few Coleman stoves, a few COs, a Griswold Chicken Fryer with lid. One of the COs was obviously older, so I started to look for more information, and found this site, and never left. Here's a pic of that COs lid.

image_195.jpg (55 KB | 133 )
image_195.jpg

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. &&Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

C. Perry Rapier
WAGS member

Greenville
Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 2:36am

This question has been asked a few times actually. But folk have come and gone so to bring it up again is good. As for me, my interest began when my mom gave me a couple three of her old skillets. I grew up seeing her use them. When she gave them to me I liked them and wanted to learn more about them. It was then I realized the pieces she gave me were just junk and so that set me in search of some good cast iron. There was one good piece, a National by Wagner, rest, junk.

<div style=

IP Logged

Nick Niacaris
Forum Visitor

Iron Cookware Collecting

Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 1:04am

I found this site and the rest is history.

IP Logged

Janis Berzins
WAGS member

Iron Cookware Collecting

What started you on CI, sorry if this a repost
Apr 3rd, 2014 at 12:39am

My first CI pan was one I found while walking by a student rental that was being cleaned out. I found a #9 Griswold pan in the pile by the street and for some reason my 20 year old self picked it up and thought "this is cool". At the time I was working at a pawn shop and told one of the other guys of my find. He told me, "Griswold is worth some money". That was 25 years ago and it has been a passion ever since. Although it has not been until the last 10 years or so that I have really started to collect. What about the rest of you folks? Huh

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print