Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelpSearch WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Martin cast iron skillet (Read 5225 times)
Ethan Pearson
Ex Member

Martin cast iron skillet
Jan 15th, 2010 at 5:16am

Can someone tell me a bit about Martin cast iron skillets or other pieces?  One of the cast iron pieces I inherited from my grandmother is a Martin skillet. I know it was forged in Florance Alabama, and that makes sense because my grandmother lived in that area.  Basically, I want to know if this is  (or can be, it needs to be really cleaned and reseasoned after years of storage) a good working cast iron skillet?  I believe it's a size 8, at least it's lid is a size 8.

Thanks,

Ethan

IP Logged

Sam Roberts
WAGS member

Lodge what? !!!

Meridian
Re: Martin cast iron skillet
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 5:36am

That series of skillets the Martin Stove & Range (MSR) made it in a 3-5-7-8-9-10-12 and 14. A good user being heavier than a Griswold and lighter than a modern Lodge. They manufactured a complete line of cast iron until around the early 50's. There is still a Martin Industries with most of their attention being toward stoves and electric heaters.

By the way, welcome to WAGS and feel free to ask any question you have about CI, for there will be someone here to help you out.

Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

IP Logged

Duke Gilleland
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
cast iron collecting!

Belton Texas
Re: Martin cast iron skillet
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 10:21am

That Martin is better than any new you can get on the market today. Add the lid and it is more valuble.
Coming from your Grandmother, I sure it is priceless in your hands.
Best sure and go to our restoration section and ask any questions you might have about getting it back in using shape. We will be glad to help you do it up the RIGHT WAY.
GREAT to have you here with us Ethan! Smiley

Nowhere But TEXAS!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print