Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HEALTHY STUFF (Read 13673 times)
C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
HEALTHY STUFF
Jun 6th, 2008 at 9:37pm

Pork roast by: Greg Stahl

low salt and low fat recipe

You can use a pork roast or a tenderloin for this one (I like both)

Marinade:
1/2 C olive oil
1/4 C balsamic vinegar
2 T rosemary (chop up finely to release the aroma)
2 T garlic puree ( I have used garlic powder, but decrease the amount to 1 tsp or to your taste, but I love garlic and tend to add more)

Pork loin roast (3-4 pounds)

Cut shallow slits in the roast to allow marinade to penetrate.  Mix marinade together and pour on top of roast in a zip lock bag.  Marinate  overnight, turning as frequently as possible to get the flavor over  the entire roast.  Place on rotisserie at 400F until internal temperature is 155-160.  Let rest for 15 min before carving.

Enjoy

Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: HEALTHY STUFF
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 5:46pm

Waffles by: Greg Stahl.

Orange flavored Waffles
Ingredients:
2 eggs (I use only the whites and cook the yolks up for the puppy.  He loves them.)
1 3/4 C orange juice
1/2 C canola oil (olive oil would be good too)
2 C flour
4 t baking powder
1 T sugar  
2 - 3 T of fresh orange zest
1/2 t salt (I leave this out, it is not needed.)

Warm your waffle iron, while mixing all the above together.  If using a #6 waffle iron, as the pictures below show, using 1/4 cup of the batter for each waffle and it will make exactly 12 waffles.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 4:36pm

Raisin filled cookies by: Greg Stahl

Low fat raisin filled cookies

Cookie part
1 c sugar
1/3 c Smart Balance oil
1 T vanilla ( I use homemade and if you don't know how to make it, let me know, as it is easy)
2 egg whites
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 c skim milk
Whisk first four ingredients together, then stir in the remaining ingredients.  Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.

Filling part
1T cornstarch
3 T flour
1 c packed light brown sugar
2 c boiling water
1 1/2 c seedless dark raisins (light are ok, but too sweet IMO)

In a saucepan, combine cornstarch, flour and brown sugar.  Stir in water until smooth.  Add raisins, bring to boil over medium heat; cook and stir for at least 3 minutes until thickened.  Cool.  The filling will congeal and then be easy to spoon in as a filling.  If still in the fluid phase, it can be done, but makes an awful mess. Wink

Preheat the oven to 350F

Ok, now take a portion of the chilled dough out of the refrigerator (work in batches).  Flour your work surface and roll out the dough into 1/8 inch thickness and cut 3 inch circles with a cookie cutter.  Place these cut circles onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet.  Place filling on top and then use another piece of dough as the top and just pinch the top to the bottom.  Place the cookies into the oven and back for 10 min.

These are very good and low in sodium as well.  Enjoy, I think I'll have one now.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 10:08pm

Shrimp Soup by: Greg Stahl

If you like shrimp and soup, here is a low salt soup that is just great that I've worked out.

2 TB olive oil
1 lb of raw shrimp (devein, and remove the shell, but leave the tail on for additional flavor)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped/minced
4-5 tomatoes, chopped (remove the skins by placing in boiling water for a few minutes until skin cracks, remove seeds too)
3 cups of chicken broth (I make my own, so that I know it is no salt)
1 tsp tarragon
1 tsp dill weed
1 tsp ground cumin
3 cups of cooked rice

Heat the olive oil in a #8, 9 or 10 dutch oven.  Brown/saute the garlic and onion (about 5 minutes).
Add the chopped tomatoes and cook an additional 5 min on medium heat.
Add chicken stock, tarragon, dill weed and cumin and let simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the shrimp and cook 5-10 minutes or until the shrimp are done (depends on size).

Serve in a bowl over a small scoop of rice.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 3:55pm

GREG'S BAKED HADDOCK by: Greg Stahl

Italian style baked haddock

3-4 cloves of garlic
1/2 onion
1 tomato
1/2 red bell pepper
3 tsp basil
1/2 c white wine
0.75 lb haddock fillets

Pre-heat oven to 350F.  Saute minced garlic in a #8 cast iron skillet.  Dice up the onion and red pepper and add to the garlic and saute until onions are translucent.  Dice up the tomato (remove skin by blanching and de-seed), add to the skillet.  Add wine and reduce until the liquid is almost gone (about 5 min).

Wash the fillets and add to the skillet, cover with the cooked sauted veggies and place the skillet in the oven for about 15 min or until the fish is flaky.  

This is good with fresh corn on the cob and homemade bread.  

NOTE: low fat and no salt added to this recipe at all!!  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 2:47pm

BAKED SALMON by: Greg Stahl

Salmon fillets
6-8 low salt Ritz crackers (crumbled, like bread crumbs)
2-4 tsp Dijon mustard
2-3 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
Juice from one lemon
1/2 c sliced Vidalia onion 
1/2 c of sliced mushrooms

Preheat oven to 425F.  Wash and dry the salmon fillets.  Place them in a #8 cast iron skillet.  Place lemon juice on the fillets and let sit for 15 min. Spread the Dijon mustard over the fillets.  Add Italian seasoning, sprinkled over the top. Add cracker crumbs to the Dijon coating.  Place onion and mushrooms on the fillets.

Bake at 425 for 18-20 min or until fish is flaky.  I served this with fresh peas and homemade bread.  The crackers give it a buttery taste without the butter.  Watch the salt content of the Dijon mustard.  The one I have is low salt (below 140 mg/serving).

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 11:09am

MELTING POT CHICKEN by: Greg Stahl

2 boneless chicken breasts
1/2 onion minced
1 bag of broccoli florets cooked
1 cup of frozen corn kernels
3 T cornstarch
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 cup of Riesling or other white wine
3 c of fat free half and half
Memphis rub (leave out the salt in the recipe, it is not needed)
(recipe under sauces, rubs, etc.)
Italian seasoning

Cut the chicken breasts into chunks.  Heat a #11 cast iron skillet over medium heat.  Add 3 T of Smart Balance oil and lightly brown the garlic and onion.  Then brown the chicken while seasoning with Memphis rub and Italian seasoning.  When chicken is cooked (about 5-10 min), add the wine, corn and broccoli and reduce to about 1/4 cup of fluid.  Mix a small amount of half and half with the corn starch.  Add the rest of the half and half to the chicken mixture and warm, then add the thickening mixture.  Cook until thickened.

This recipe is very low sodium and fat and heart healthy.  I have served this over Jasmine rice, as well as heart healthy rolls.  I prefer the Jasmine rice, as the aromatic rice adds to the aroma of this meal.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 3:30pm

GOOD OIL PIE DOUGH by: Becky Stahl

2 cups all purpose flour
2 TBL sugar
Mix together.

In a liquid measuring cup pour in 1/2 cup Smart Balance oil.  Add 1/4 cup skim milk.

Pour all liquid mixture into flour mixture and stir together.

Roll out between 2 pieces of Saran wrap.  Add flour to both sides of crust while rolling out.  It is not the nicest pie crust to roll out, but because it's low fat and Greg can eat it, it's worth the effort.  Plus, it tastes pretty good.  It makes one double crust pie.  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 1:26pm

Fat Free Vinilla Ice Cream by: Greg Stahl

No kidding this is so good and don't tell anyone it's no fat, as no one will know unless you tell them.  We have one of those table top, self-freezing ice makers, but this should be ok in any freezer.

1 qt of FAT FREE half and half
1 TBS of homemade vanilla extract
1 cup of sugar

Take half of the half and half and warm on the stove top and then add the sugar to dissolve.  Remove from heat, add the vanilla and the rest of the half and half.  Chill in the refrigerator or if you are in a hurry, I make up a bowl of ice water, place the pan inside the ice water to get a quick chill.

Place in the freezer and churn.  This is great ice cream and no fat.  I have also made this with Splenda for our diabetic friends at church.  

Strawberry variation

If you want to make a great Strawberry flavor variation to the following:

1qt of fat free half and half
3/4 c sugar
1-2 c of fresh ripe strawberries
1 tsp vanilla (notice the decrease)

Clean and de-stem the strawberries and place in a food processor (reserve 3-4 berries and slice them).  Add 1-2 cups of the half and half and pulverize the strawberries into a fine slurry.  While still running the processor, add the sugar and continue to make your slurry, and slowly add the rest of the half and half.

Remove from the processor and strain the mixture to remove the seeds.  Place mixture in the ice cream freezer, add the sliced strawberries and freeze.

You can add or subtract berries depending on how much strawberry flavor you want.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 3:02pm

CINNAMON ROLLS by: Greg Stahl

OMG:  the BEST Cinnamon rolls!!
May 22nd, 2011, 2:32pm     Cinnamon Rolls

If you like Cinnamon rolls in your local mall or other commercial sites, then you will never buy them again after making these.  I have modified the recipe to make it as heart healthy as possible and still have the same great taste.  These are delicious and go fast.  Total time to make these is about 3 hours.

DOUGH
1 cup (8 oz) luke warm water
¼ cup King Arthur special dry milk
2 large eggs at room temperature
1/3 cup Smart Balance Omega 3 butter sticks (room temp)
4 ½ cups (19 ½ oz) King Arthur all purpose flour
1 ¾ tsp salt
½ cup sugar
2 ½ tsp instant yeast
1 tsp diastatic malt

FILLING
1/3 cup Smart Balance Omega 3 butter sticks (room temp)
1 cup King Arthur  Baker’s cinnamon filling + ¼ cup water

ICING
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cup (6 oz) confectioner’s sugar
3 oz fat free cream cheese
¼ cup Smart Balance Omega 3 butter sticks (room temp)

Directions:
Dough:  Mix all the dough ingredients together in a bread mixer bowl until well blended and kneaded.  It is a sticky dough.  Oil a bowl and place dough in the bowl, cover with Saran wrap and place in a proofing oven to rise for about 1 hour.  The dough will rise about 50%.

Assembly:
Oil (I use PAM) the working surface and roll out the dough to 16x22 (or there about). Using your hands butter the entire surface of the dough except the last ½ inch (so you can seal it).  Pour the KAF cinnamon filling on the buttery surface and spread it out evenly.  Roll up the dough from the short end towards the other short end and seal.  Using a serrated bread knife or cinnamon flavored dental floss, cut the dough into 12 rolls.  Place the rolls into a greased baking pan (9x12 in).  Cover the pan with Saran wrap and proof until the rolls have risen about double.  Rising time takes 30-60 minutes, be patient.

Bake the buns in a preheated 400 F oven about 15 min until they have an internal temperature of at least 190F (if lower, they will fall).

ICING: combine the ingredient and beat together well, spread the icing on the rolls about 20 min after they come out of the oven and serve warm.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print