Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelpSearch WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
National Skillet (Read 4154 times)
Mike Bohannon
WAGS member

National Skillet
Dec 4th, 2005 at 9:06pm

I have a 'National' skillet, I see National listed with Wagner in the Red Book.  Was National a line made by Wagner?  It's a nice skillet, just didn't know that it might be associated with Wagner.

Mike

IP Logged

Will Person
Forum Administrator

Heavy iron at work

Burlington, Wisconsin
Re: National Skillet
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2005 at 10:23pm

National was made by Wagner.  I think the walls are shorter like the Griswold Victor skillets.  National was made in #7,8 and 9 sizes.

Will Cool

113117581 johndeereplowman deereman43  
IP Logged

Steve Stephens
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 4:39am

National, Victor (Griswold), Miami (Favorite), and Oneta (Wapak) were all cheaper lines of skillets and some waffle irons (Wagner and Griswold) that were made to compete with cheaper, lesser quality pans.  These slightly smaller skillets were made from c.1890's into the 1930's by some of the companies.  From what I can tell the quality was every bit as good as the companies major line although the waffle irons were simpler and without certain patented features.  Skillets were made in only 7-9 by these companies except that Griswold added a 5 and 6 in the 30's.  I saw a Victor 9 and a really nice National 8 today in shops.  The National had the WW logo in the center of the pan.
Steve

IP Logged

Al Andrews
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
cast iron collecting!

Riverside, CA
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 4:49pm

I have a National Wagner Ware #8 skillet that has a very good finish inside and out.  It was listed under "Things for Sale" some time back -- yes I still have it.

Al

IP Logged

Mike Bohannon
WAGS member

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 1:58am

Thanks for the info.  Still got lots to learn.  When I told my Wife I found this site with lots of collecters that was willing to anwser questions she told me " your'e an accumulator not a collecter".  I told her the only difference was ya'll knew what you were doing!

Mike

IP Logged

Marty Zielke
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 8:14am

Mike Bohannon wrote on Dec 6th, 2005 at 1:58am:
Thanks for the info.  Still got lots to learn.  When I told my Wife I found this site with lots of collecters that was willing to anwser questions she told me " your'e an accumulator not a collecter".  I told her the only difference was ya'll knew what you were doing!

Mike

Grin Grin Grin  I like your wife, Mike. 

IP Logged

Greg Stahl
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

Ole Scratch

Clinton, MA
Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 6:58pm

she told me " your'e an accumulator not a collecter".  

Smiley Smiley Smiley SmileyI'm still laughing.

"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!"  Alice Cooper.  Cast iron cookware for sale, selling entire collection, updates ASAP HERE
WWW MBLMASP greg.stahl1  
IP Logged

Troy Hockensmith
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 7:13pm

" your'e an accumulator not a collecter

Mike

Me too!!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1