Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelpSearch WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PDFs of Cast Iron Cookware News (Read 30679 times)
Greg Stahl
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

Ole Scratch

Clinton, MA
PDFs of Cast Iron Cookware News
Oct 12th, 2005 at 11:35am

Years ago Steve Stephens published a newsletter called Cast Iron Cookware News (CICN).  I bought his last complete copy of all the volumes published, when I first started to collect.  Now with Steve's permission and the help of Marty, we are going to start to put these old copies up as PDFs for WAGS members.  

It takes a lot of work to make each of these PDFs and they are large in size (MBs).  Marty has taken time to use Photoshop to touch the copies up.  Please do not print them out for resale or distribution, as Steve retains the copyright.  

All Volumes of CICN
in one PDF file (48 MB) (Thanks to Yair for doing this!)

Volume 1.1 (size=4.4 MB)

Volume 1.2 (size= 5.6 MB)

Volume 1.3 (size= 5.6 MB)

Volume 1.4 (size= 3.8 MB)

Volume 1.5 (size= 4.4 MB)

Volume 1.6 (size= 5.3 MB)

Volume 2.1 (size = 7.41 MB)

Volume 2.2 (size = 5.14 MB)

Volume 2.3 (size = 2.31 MB)

Volume 2.4 (size = 3.24 MB)

Volume 2.5 (size = 2.44 MB)

Volume 3.1 (size=2.6 MB)

Volume 3.2 (size=2.7 MB)

Volume 3.3 (size=9.7 MB)

"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!"  Alice Cooper.  Cast iron cookware for sale, selling entire collection, updates ASAP HERE
WWW MBLMASP greg.stahl1  
IP Logged

Paul Beer
WAGS member

Wickenburg
Re: PDFs for CICN
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 4:22pm

Great stuff, thanks Steve, Marty and Greg. How many volumes are there? Wonder what ever happened to all those old collectors who were writing in? Recognize Joel and Wafford. This is a great treasure and education for us late commers as to how this hobby evolved. Dave Smiths letters are another treasure....you can just see the hobby expand when ebay comes on line etc. Today we are spoiled with all the books and internet available. Again thanks you guys. Paul

redriveraz  
IP Logged

Harry Riva
Forum Administrator

Retired and trying to
keep Molly happy

Asheville, North Carolina
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 5:04pm

Thanks to Steve, Greg, and Marty for making these available. Years ago I subscribed to these newsletters and they held a wealth of knowledge for a newbie like me. Reading some of the for sale ads may make us yearn for the good old days.
Harry

IP Logged

Marty Zielke
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 9:49pm

There are 14 newsletters total.   Please be patient.  It takes me a while to scan these and do touchups in Photoshop.  I eventually want to redo Vol. 1.1 in a higher resolution.  It took me a while to get the scanning resolution down pat, so you will see a difference between the first volume and the second volume.  Thanks to Steve for his willingness to share these with WAGS members.  He put a lot of work into his newsletter and it will be nice to have these preserved for future generations of cast iron collectors.  Thanks also to Greg for uploading these for me.

IP Logged

Jesse Whitlock
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 5:00am

What a great resourse!!!

Thanks to all involved,

Jesse

IP Logged

Steve Stephens
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 7:04am

Well, I'll be...a friend arising from the past.  Thanks Greg and Marty.  My newsletter was meant to inform and now it will be doing so again. 

My offer still stands to those who were original subscribers and who did not get the final three issues from Vol. 3 promised and paid for.  You let me know you want a refund of $10, your current address, and it will be sent.  Don't be bashful- you paid and I didn't deliver.  My apologies for not getting out all the issues I had planned to do.
Steve

IP Logged

Duke Gilleland
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
cast iron collecting!

Belton Texas
Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 12:49am

Great piece of work Steve! Smiley

Nowhere But TEXAS!

IP Logged

Marty Zielke
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 5:12am

I agree......Steve is a piece of work.   Smiley

IP Logged

Harry Riva
Forum Administrator

Retired and trying to
keep Molly happy

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 5:57pm

Steve, Will I get interest since 19XX if I ask for a refund? LOL. Whatever I received was worth more than what I paid.
Harry

IP Logged

Steve Stephens
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 7:31am

Harry, I have two choices for you regarding interest.  I can pay you the same amount my bank pays me for interest on my checking account or put the interest into the stamp to mail the refund.  Do either sound like good deals to you?  Any other suggestions?  I'm glad you enjoyed CICN.  Too bad it AND Dave's newsletter are gone.
Steve

IP Logged

Harry Riva
Forum Administrator

Retired and trying to
keep Molly happy

Reply #10 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 6:16pm

Steve, I was kidding about interest. 
Harry

IP Logged

Harry Riva
Forum Administrator

Retired and trying to
keep Molly happy

Reply #11 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 6:20pm

Steve, Plus I think I received an unsolicited refund check from you years ago. They were a great series of newsletters back when yours and Dave's newsletters were the only games in town. I got a lot out of both of them.
Harry

IP Logged

Steve Stephens
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 7:48pm

Harry Riva wrote on Oct 16th, 2005 at 6:16pm:
Steve, I was kidding about interest.  
Harry

I know that Harry and I was kidding about paying interest.

Steve

IP Logged

Dwayne Henson
WAGS member

When the people fear their
government, there is

Amarillo, TX
Reply #13 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 4:21am

The newsletters are great. I'm looking forward to the others.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. &&Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

Greg Stahl
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

Ole Scratch

Clinton, MA
Reply #14 - May 26th, 2006 at 2:38pm

Marty just did all of Volume 2 and I just uploaded them.  Let me know if I made a coding error, as I'm swamped and just copied and pasted.

"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!"  Alice Cooper.  Cast iron cookware for sale, selling entire collection, updates ASAP HERE
WWW MBLMASP greg.stahl1  
IP Logged

Greg Stahl
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

Ole Scratch

Clinton, MA
Reply #15 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 8:15pm

All CICN PDF files are not into one large (48 MB) file, if you like.  Thanks to Yair for doing this.

WWW MBLMASP greg.stahl1  
IP Logged

Greg Stahl
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

Ole Scratch

Clinton, MA
Reply #16 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 12:36pm

OK,

Volume 3 (3 issues) have been added to the list of PDFs. Yair, you'll need to add those to the Binder to make it complete.  I believe that is the last of the CICNs.

WWW MBLMASP greg.stahl1  
IP Logged

Becky Leach
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 7:30pm

Wow.  HOW did I miss these?  I've been a member for at least a month, and here's all this delicious reading, just sitting here.

I think I need to click on my links and open more threads than I've been doing...

IP Logged

Greg Stahl
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

Ole Scratch

Clinton, MA
Reply #18 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 10:07am

I placed digital signatures on these files (Sept 2009) that were originally made in 2005/2006 by Marty after 9 months of hard work(scanning into Photoshop, adjusting brightness/contrast and making PDFs of each page and then assembly).  Another organization on the Internet received a pirated copy of the original files from the member's side of the FORUM and had them posted on their website.  One of our present or past WAGS members gave another organization the files unlawfully, as Marty's name was on them.  

We had the information on this thread private since October 2005(note date in the first post), but the owner of the paper copies, Steve Stephens has now decided that the other organization can have these files in the public domain.  They have been in the pubic domain since August 18/19, 2009 and were found in the GOOGLE database.  Legally Steve  can do whatever he wants, as he owns the newsletter, but the electronic files are an improvement on the originals, made with Steve's permission and belong to WAGS, the organization that did all the original work and had the original idea.  If the other organization wants to publish the files, then they must make them, not post pirated copies from our organization.  The same organization refuses to state who gave them the files in the first place.

The officers of WAGS decided yesterday that these should also be made publicly available, since the files have been in the public domain and downloaded by countless people at this time.

WWW MBLMASP greg.stahl1  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print