Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
POULTRY DISHES (Read 14096 times)
C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
POULTRY DISHES
Dec 2nd, 2004 at 4:54pm

BEST TURKEY
by: C. B. Williams

This is a recipe for a browned and juicy turkey in the oven. I have tried a lot of ways and this is the best, I think. Use a broiler pan with a wire rack in the bottom and a trivet on top of the wire rack, enough to keep the turkey raised about an inch. With a rubber glove on, work your hand between the breast and the skin creating a pocket, taking care not to tear the skin, this is easier than you might think. Next rub two 1/4 sticks of softened butter that have been seasoned with salt and pepper (about a 1/2 t each) in each pocket. Use the remaining 1/2 stick of butter to rub the outside of your bird. Stuff the bird with: 2 apple slices, 2 orange slices, 1 stalk celery, 2 carrots chopped, 1 onion chopped. Tie the legs together. Set oven to broil for the browning. Place the bird breast down and brown the back, then back side down and brown the breast. (peanut brittle color) (this is done with the top off the roaster) Wrap the wing tips and leg tips with small pieces of alum. foil if they look too brown. (Browning is done in a 400 deg. oven) Put 1 can of chicken broth and 1 can of apple juice on the turkey and baste about every 20 min. while cooking with the cover on in a 300 deg. oven,  cooking until internal temp. of the bird is 165 F.. (taken on the inside of the thigh) Check with a thermometer or use the oven temp. probe if you are equipped.  Remove the roaster and let rest for 30 min. with the cover on. Total cooking time is 2 to 3 hrs. in a standard oven, convection is quicker. Ovens vary greatly, so adjust as necessary.
  NOTE #1: I wrote this assuming most people don't have a convection oven. If you do, just place the bird on a wire rack, breast up, and bake convection at 425 F. This method should brown your bird in about 35-45 min. then turn the temp. down to about 300 to finish, still checking with a thermometer in the thigh. With convection your total cooking time will be greatly reduced. A small turkey should take about 1 hr. 30 min. With a larger turkey the browning time will be the same, the finishing time will be a bit longer. LAST-- I do not cover the turkey using the convection oven.
  NOTE #2: Always check your birds temperature in the thickest part of the thigh as this is the last part to get done.  It is essential to use a probe thermometer and take the bird up when 165 F. is reached. It is done and any more cooking time is only drying it.
  NOTE #3: I prefer rubbing the outside of the bird with bacon drippings as it has a higher burn point than butter and gives the bird a more uniform color. I like the flavor too.
  NOTE #4: When you take the bird out of the oven, loosely tent it with alum. foil and let rest for about 30 min.        

Cornbread Dressing:
To make this dressing you need to cook two recipes I already have in the cookbook, my turkey (or a chicken cooked similar) and my cornbread.  I think one of the main ingredients is the drippings from the turkey, which was basted with chicken broth and apple juice, and had 2 sticks of seasoned butter rubbed in and on it.  

Dressing:
One pone of cornbread cooked in a #8 cast iron skillet about 1 1/4"-1 1/2" thick and well browned. Take up the cornbread and allow to cool, and break it up into fairly fine pieces in a large bowl. Next, add 1 C. chopped celery, 1 C. chopped sweet onion, and 1- 1 1/2 C of the drippings from the turkey, salt and fresh ground pepper to taste, (I like a lot of pepper with this). Mix all ingredients and enough turkey drippings to make a thick paste consistency. Return this mixture into two skillets (or a larger one)because the amount has increased and bake at 400 F. until the top begins to brown, usually about 35- 45 min.  (note: If you don't have enough drippings from the turkey, use some chicken broth.)

I had a question about giblet gravy. Here is as close as I can explain it.

Giblet Gravy:

3 C. chicken broth
2 t salt
1 t pepper
giblets (neck, heart, gizzard, liver)
3 hard boiled eggs, cooled and chopped

Boil the giblets in the broth with the salt and pepper about 30 min., covered, remove giblets and let cool and chop fine except the neck which is discarded, and save the broth.

Make a roux with about 2 T oil and 2 T flour. Brown it to your liking, I like a honey color. Now, pour the water (now a broth) that was used to cook the giblets in and stir, add finely chopped giblets. Take a look, you might need to add some broth. After you get the thickness you want add the chopped eggs and it's ready, except to taste for salt and pepper.

In this picture, note the juices running into the cup of the carving platter and it has not been carved yet.

Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: POULTRY DISHES
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 4:25pm

DRUNK CHICKEN by: C B Williams

This can be done in the oven or covered BAR-B-Q. I have a S/S rack that will hold 2 cans of beer. Pour out or better yet, drink about 1/4 of the beer then add worchestershire, hot sauce, or you favorite in the can.  Sprinkle some of the "dry rub" or "Emeril's essence" (see recipes under RUBS, SAUCES, ETC.)  on the chicken and place the bird rear end first over the beer can that is sitting in the rack. Cook till nice and brown. This method will insure that the chicken is moist. (you can find these racks at most any cooking store or go on line and do a search) (when cooking in the oven, I place the rack on a cookie sheet to catch the drippings)

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 4:43pm

BAKED CHICKEN by: Carol Fox

Skin chicken thighs.  (We're going low fat.)
Preheat oven to 375.  
Sprinkle thighs liberally with Kelloggs Corn Flake Crumbs (that come in a box, NOT crushed cereal).  Both sides.
Arrange in iron skillet with a little olive oil in the bottom, then sprinkle on...
-- lemon pepper
-- Italian seasoning (a/k/a "herbs de provence"
-- garlic salt
-- minced dried onion.

That's it !!!  Bake about 40 minutes, turning once.  (In glass, now that I've seen the difference, it comes out what I'd now describe as "a tad soggy" but was still good, but the leftovers were dry.  HOWEVER!!!!  In a good ole cast iron skillet, it comes out "fried" texture, crispy, very moist inside and leftovers are just fine.  

This is a case where cast iron matters!!!  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2005 at 2:39pm

Teriyaki CHICKEN THIGHS by: Scott Jenkins

Start with a #9 or # 10 Griswold Dutch Oven, square handle or tube handle, your choice.

10 skinless chicken thighs
1 C of soy sauce
1 C of sugar
3/4 C of Mirin or Japanese rice wine. (I just go to the liquor store and get the cheapest rice wine)
2 cloves of minced garlic
1-2 t of fresh shredded ginger root. (Its in the veggy department)
Combine all ingredients in a large Griswold or Wagner pot, cover and bring the mixture to a boil. Uncover, reduce heat, and allow mixture to simmer until the liquid concentrates, about 30 minutes. Take the chicken out of the pot while still hot and serve with rice. The remaining liquid can be used as a sauce. The cooking time is not critical but, try not to over cook or you will have chicken stew.
PS, This is also good with wingettes C B

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 1:58pm

TURKEY HASH BY: C. B. Williams

This is done on the stove top in a cast iron skillet. I used a #12. Dice 2 cups of red skin potatoes, chop about 1 cup onion, 1/2 C celery, and about 1/2 bell pepper. Put the above in a skillet with about 1/2 stick butter and cook till the potatoes begin to soften. Add a can of chicken broth, and 2 cups of chopped turkey (mixed dark and light meat). About a Tbsp. of chopped roasted garlic, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook until all is hot and the potatoes are done. I add some hot sauce, and if you want it thicker, just stir in some flour. There are many ways to make hash. This is what I like.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 1:46pm

QUICK CHICKEN CORDON BLEU
by: Greg Stahl                                                    

2 chicken breasts (boned and skinless)
slices of Swiss cheese
slices of ham

Mix the following dry ingredients:
1/2 C of flour
1 T paprika
1 t salt
1 t black pepper

6 T butter
1 t of chicken bouillon
1 can of fat free condensed milk
1 C of white wine

Flatten the chicken breasts enough so that you can make them into a ‘pocket’ by folding them over.  On the inside of the pocket Swiss cheese and ham then fold them over and close up the pocket using wooden toothpicks.  Pat the chicken dry and rub the outside with mixture of dry ingredients.

In a hot #8 or 9 cast iron skillet, melt the butter and brown all sides of the chicken wrap. Reduce the heat and add the wine, bouillon and cover, then simmer until the chicken is done (about 30 min).  Remove the chicken and set aside and remove the toothpicks.  Add the can of condensed milk to the hot skillet, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and reduce (or you can do what I do and add some water and corn starch, as I can’t wait to eat) to thicken.  Be sure to stir frequently and remove the fond stuck to the sides and bottom.  Then place the chicken in the gravy to warm and serve.

This recipe will feed 2-4 people, depending on the size of the breasts. You can easily increase the number of breasts to increase the serving size as well.  The gravy in this is really really good and almost fat free (i.e., butter).

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 12:50am

SMOTHERED CHICKEN by: Cindy Overton
Cin's Easy Smothered Chicken

2 lbs boneless/skinless chicken thighs
1 stick butter
1 (26oz) can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 (26oz) can Cream of Chicken Soup
2 lbs Stir fry Mix frozen Vegetables
Homemade Biscuits

Cut chicken into small bite size pieces.  Melt butter in bottom of 12” oven, and brown cut up chicken in melted butter.  When browned, add soups and vegetables, cover and let cook till hot and bubbly.  15 coals on top and 9 coals on bottom.
Place a layer of biscuits over the top of the chicken and vegetables for the last 20 minutes of cooking.  Cover with lid and biscuits will cook and brown nicely.
  To serve, place the biscuits in the bowl first, and cover with chicken and vegetable mixture.

Baking Powder Biscuits

4 C All Purpose Flour                        
2 T Baking Powder                              
2 t salt
1/2 C real butter
2 C cold milk

To a mixing bowl add flour, baking powder and salt.  Stir together using a fork.  Cut in the Crisco in until the mixture is like coarse meal with no lumps larger than a green pea.  Add milk to the mixture and stir with a fork until there are no areas of dry flour, and the dough is sticky and moist.

Knead the dough on a generously floured surface about 10 turns, and pat out to about ½ inch thickness.  Using a clean can or biscuit cutter, cut biscuits straight down without turning the cutter.  If you twist the cutter this will release the air in the dough and your biscuits will be flat!

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 12:39pm

7 SKILLET CHICKEN by: Mitzi Jefferson

This is a simplified version of the classic chicken under a brick.  I used to use a large cobblestone wrapped in foil, not even a brick, but I found that 6 cast iron skillets work even better.  I worked this recipe into their seasoning schedule.

1 3-4 pound broiler/fryer chicken
1 T vegetable oil, clarified butter, chicken butter, or rendered salt pork fat
Salt and pepper
2 T flour
Water
Chicken broth or chicken base
1 T butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Remove giblets and excess fat from cavity of chicken.  Remove backbone with kitchen shears or a knife, being careful to properly disjoint leg bones and keeping the “oysters” intact.  Pull the drumsticks towards each other and down.  Press down on the breastbone with your hand to flatten the chicken somewhat.  Wipe it dry with paper towels, then salt the inside and outside.  Meanwhile heat a #9 skillet over medium heat until wisps of smoke rise from the pan.  Add the fat and then place chicken, skin side down, in the pan.  Season the inside of the chicken with pepper.  Stack the #8, #7, #6, #5, #4, and #3 skillets on top of the chicken and let cook until the underside is lightly browned.

Place the whole heavy stack, chicken and all, in the oven and roast for 15 minutes.  Remove the six skillets from the top of the chicken.  Use a spatula to scrape the chicken off the bottom of the pan and flip it over, leaving it skin side up.  Continue to roast until the temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reads 155 degrees. Remove chicken from skillet to a warmed serving platter.  The chicken will be quite flat.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 2:32pm

CHICKEN MEAT LOAF by: Ty Williams

3 T unsalted butter
    3/4 C finely chopped yellow onion
    3/4 C finely chopped scallions (up to 3 inches of green can be included)
    1/2 C finely chopped carrots
    1/4 C finely chopped celery
    1/4 C finely chopped red bell pepper
    1/4 C finely chopped green bell pepper
    2 good sized cloves of garlic, minced  
    1 t salt
    1 t fresh ground black pepper
    1/2 t ground white pepper
    1/4 t cayenne pepper (or to taste)
    1 t ground cumin
    1/2 t ground nutmeg
    3 eggs, well beaten
    1/2 C ketchup
    1/2 C half and half
    2 pounds lean ground chicken (or beef)
    12 ounces sausage meat (no fennel flavored sausage)
    3/4 C Pankko bread crumbs

1. Melt the butter on medium heat in a heavy skillet. Add the carrots and bell pepper, cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes.  Add the celery, onion, and scallions, cook, stirring often, until the moisture has evaporated (about 10 minutes). Try not to brown them. Set aside to cool briefly, then refrigerate vegetables for 1 hour.

2. Combine all of the spices with the eggs in a large mixing bowl and beat well. Add the ketchup and half and half and blend well.

3. Preheat the oven to 375°. Let the meat "warm up" a bit before taking this next step. Add the meat and bread crumbs to the egg/spice mixture. Add the chilled vegetables and knead everything with your hands for about 5 minutes.

4. Pour the mixture in a large baking dish and form a loaf. The loaf should resemble a large loaf of Italian bread and measure approximately 17"L x 5"W x 1.5"H.

5. Place this baking dish in a larger pan that can hold water half way up the sides of the baking dish. Pour boiling water into the larger dish. Place the layered pans in the oven and cook the meatloaf uncovered for 35-40 minutes. Let the meatloaf rest for 15 minutes after removing it from the oven. Invariably, the fat comes out of this dish while baking. I usually take the meatloaf out of the baking dish and blot with several paper towels before putting it on a serving dish. The meatloaf makes great cold left over sandwiches and also freezes well.

Makes 8-10 servings

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 11:32am

DUTCH OVEN CHICKEN by: Lee Sumner

1- whole fryer ( I use a 4 to 5 pound for a 8DO)
1-onion chopped
3-medium potatoes (diced)
baby carrots (optional)
2-T minced garlic
1/2 stick butter
salt
pepper
Italian seasoning
paprika
cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, heat DO to medium high, melt butter add onion and garlic stir together, sear chicken on both sides and sprinkle with spices ( It's up to you how much to add)  place chicken breast side up in DO  cook in oven for 45 minutes, then add potatoes ( place on bottom or around chicken)  cook an additional 45 minutes for a total of 1 1/2 hours or until all is tender.

DOChicken032909002.jpg (147 KB | 205 )
DOChicken032909002.jpg

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #10 - May 8th, 2009 at 9:47am

Roast Chicken with Potatoes by: Jim Maloney

INGREDIENTS:  

A 4-5lb Roasting chicken - butterflied *
2 dozen Ramps (white and red parts)
4 medium russet potatoes cut into fairly large chunks.
1 t fresh Greek Oregano - chopped fine (use dried if you don't have fresh)
3 T olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

PROCEDURE:

* Butterfly the chicken by removing  the wishbone, then the back with kitchen shears, then the ribs and the keel bone, being careful not to rip the skin.  Remove the outer tip of the wing to the first joint. You should be left with the wing, leg and thigh bones.

Wash the potatoes well and cut into fairly large chunks - about 1".  Toss with salt, pepper and olive oil to coat.

Rinse and drain the ramps. (Mine didn't have the greens, but you could use the julienned greens instead of the oregano on the chicken.

Preheat your oven to 425 and place a #12 Slant Griswold skillet inside 'til it gets hot.  

Place the chicken skin side up on a cutting board and season with salt, pepper and the oregano, rub the seasoning in with 1 Tbsp of olive oil.  

Remove the skillet from the oven and add 1 Tbsp olive oil, swirl to coat and quickly place the chicken skin side down into the skillet.  Place the skillet on the range burner at medium high heat and press the chicken down to get as much surface as possible browned.  This is the "brick" method, but I used several skillets to weight the bird down.   Elsewhere in this section there's a recipe by Mitzi Jefferson for a "Seven Skillet Chicken" and I got the idea from there.  Brown the chicken until it is nice and golden - about 5 to 8 minutes.  Season the up (inside) of the chicken with salt, pepper, and oregano, and the remaining Tbsp of olive oil, then remove the chicken from the skillet to a plate Toss the ramps into the hot pan and stir around until the start to soften.  Add the potatoes to the skillet and place the chicken on top of the potatoes, skin side up.  Place the skillet in the upper third of the oven and roast the chicken for around twenty to twenty five minutes (until thigh temp reaches 175 and he breast meat reaches at least 165 - always use a thermometer - it's the only way to be safe with poultry!).  Remove the chicken to a platter and cover loosely with foil.  Check the potatoes and if they need more time, put them back in the oven (mine needed about ten more minutes.)

Bring the whole chicken to the table on a platter and let your guests carve off what they want, Serve the potatoes and ramps drizzled with some of the pan juices.  Asparagus, since they are in season and strong enough to go with the ramps are a good choice for a veg.

NOTES:

If you don't have ramps, you can use green onions and three to five cloves of garlic, cut in half.  

If you're not comfortable with de-boning the chicken, simply remove the backbone and neck and flatten the bird with the bones, it's not as pretty, but it will work.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #11 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 8:19pm

CHICKEN LASAGNA by: Charlee Turner

We cooked it in a small glass baking dish in the oven, but I wouldn't hesitate to put it in a camp oven! 

2 cups cooked, diced chicken breast 
minced garlic to taste (we used 3 cloves) 
1/2 c finely chopped onion 
1 or 2 jars of Alfredo sauce (depends on how much you're cooking or how "soupy" you want it) 
3/4 c grated parmesan cheese 
2 c grated mozzarella cheese 
1 c ricotta cheese or cottage cheese 
small amount of grated cheddar (for color) 
9 cooked lasagna noodles 

Mix and heat the chicken, garlic, onion, and Alfredo. Layer as you would any lasagna with noodles and bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. 
Could add sliced olives, diced bell pepper, or anything, really, that tickles your fancy...this stuff is GOOD!

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 1:48pm

BRAISED CHICKEN by: Jeff Johnson

Braised Chicken with Olives & Sweet Peppers

Serving Size  : 8

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
     1/8           cup  Olive oil
  8               each  bone-in chicken thigh -- skin & excess fat removed
  2               each  carrot -- cut into 1/2 inch dice
  2             stalks  celery -- cut into 1/2 inch dice
  2          teaspoons  minced garlic
  2          teaspoons  thyme leaves -- dried
  1               each  large yellow onion -- diced
  1                cup  dry white wine
  2               cups  chicken stock
  1/2         pound  mixed black & green olives -- slice into 1/8" thick rings
  1                jar  roasted red pepper (12 oz) -- drained & coarsely chopped
                      Salt
                      Pepper -- coarse ground

Preheat large covered cast iron skillet (#9 size) on burner over medium heat.  Add 1/8" olive oil to bottom of skillet.  Heat till oil shimmers.

Season chicken liberally with salt & coarse black pepper (both sides).  Place 4 pieces at a time into hot oiled skillet.  Cover with lid, cook each side approx 4 minutes.  Flip after cooking each side.  To cook each batch will take ~12-15 minutes.

Transfer browned chicken pieces to plate for holding.

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Add carrots, celery, thyme, garlic, and onions to skillet.  Cook over medium heat approx. 5 minutes, until onion is translucent.  While cooking, scrape bottom of pan to remove browned bits & mix into veggies.

Remove cooked veggies from skillet.  Add a splash or two of wine if needed to deglaze the pan.

Place chicken and cooked veggies back into skillet.  Add 1 cup white wine, 2 cups chicken stock to skillet.

Cover skillet & place in oven for 90 minutes.

Remove chicken & cooked veggies from skillet and place in 9"x13"x2" casserole dish.  Cover casserole dish with foil, place in 250 F oven to keep hot.

Leave sauce (remaining from cooked chicken/onion/celery/carrots) in skillet.

Place skillet (containing liquid) over medium heat, reduce by half.

To skillet, add chopped olives & roast red peppers.  Heat ~1 minute over medium heat.

Remove casserole dish from oven.  Pour sauce/olives/roast red pepper mixture over chicken & roasted veggies.

Can sprinkle with 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley for added color.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Chicken pot pie, Mark Smith
Reply #13 - Nov 12th, 2015 at 11:21pm

Dutch Oven Chicken Pot Pie with biscuit crust.
Today at 1:38pm Mark & Quote Quote Modify Remove
Using my new smaller Lodge Porcelain Dutch Oven I cooked this recipe all in the dutch oven. Starting poaching the chicken with some of the chicken broth the recipe called for. When chicken is done removed the chicken and reserved the broth and cook the veggies.

Dutch Oven Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Crust

Ingredients
     1/4 cup butter
     1 small onion, chopped
     3 celery ribs, chopped
     3 carrots, chopped
     2/3 cup frozen peas
     1 - 4 oz. can of mushrooms pieces and stems
     3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or fresh sweet basil
     1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
     1/4 cup all-purpose flour
     2 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
     2/3 cup half-and-half cream
     salt and ground black pepper to taste
     3 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
     1 (16.3 ounce) can refrigerated flaky-style biscuits (such as Pillsbury Grands(R))
     1 egg yolk, beaten
     1 tablespoon water

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat, and cook the onion, celery, and carrots until the celery and carrots are tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in peas, parsley, thyme and flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour coats the vegetables and begins to fry, about 5 minutes. Whisk in chicken broth and half-and-half, and cook until the sauce is thick and bubbling. Season to taste with salt and black pepper, and mix in the chicken meat.

Transfer the chicken, vegetables, and sauce into a 2-quart baking dish. Arrange biscuits on top of the filling. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk with water; brush egg yolk on the biscuits.

Bake in the preheated oven until the biscuits are golden brown and the pie filling is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.

IMG_1094.jpg (106 KB | 0 )

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print