Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MISCELLANEOUS and DRINKS (Read 15243 times)
C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
MISCELLANEOUS and DRINKS
Oct 13th, 2004 at 1:42pm

VENISON JERKY BY GREG STAHL     

1 t liquid smoke  
1 t garlic powder  
1 t salt  
1 t Accent  
3 t freshly ground black pepper (white if you like hotter)  
2 t onion powder  
1 C water  
3/4 C soy sauce  
1/2 C worchestershire sauce  
5 lbs of venison (I de-bone a rear thigh)  

Cut the venison in 1/4 inch thick strips and lengths/widths that you like.  Mix all the above ingredients together and marinate the meat, turning twice daily for 3-5 days (better if longer) or until all the marinade is gone.  The meat will change a deep dark color.  

Remove and dehydrate in a dehydrator (or turn the oven on to 150F, arrange meat on oven racks and dry for 5-6 hours or until dried completely)  
(note from C. B., leaving the oven door ajar will help.)  
This can be done with other meats as well, like beef or elk.

Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: MISCELLANEOUS
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 10:41pm

DUXELLES

Duxelles is a mixture of finely chopped mushrooms, shallots and herbs cooked in butter. It is used to flavor soups and sauces, as a garnish, and a stuffing. Take a thinly pounded pork chop, veal or chicken cutlet, or even a flank steak. Spoon the precooked duxelles down the center. Roll the meat and then sauté or roast it.

8 oz. finely chopped mushrooms
1 shallot, finely chopped
Butter as needed
Parsley, chopped to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Sauté the mushrooms and shallot in butter until the mushrooms are browned.

Season with the parsley, salt and pepper.

Please note: This is a basic recipe, there are many variations.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 2:14pm

MIREPOIX (MIREPOIS)

2 parts chopped onion, 1 part chopped celery, 1 part chopped carrots. (A classic French mixture for stuffing and included in stews, etc.)

TRINITY (Cajun twist of the above)

2 parts chopped onions, 1 part chopped celery, 1 part chopped bell pepper.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 2:29pm

Cornbread Dressing
by: C. B. Williams
To make this dressing you need to cook two recipes I already have in the cookbook, my turkey (or a chicken cooked similar) and my cornbread.  I think one of the main ingredients is the drippings from the turkey, which was basted with chicken broth and apple juice, and had 2 sticks of seasoned butter rubbed in and on it.  

Dressing:
One pone of cornbread cooked in a #8 cast iron skillet about 1 1/4"-1 1/2" thick and well browned. Take up the cornbread and allow to cool, and break it up into fairly fine pieces in a large bowl. Next, add 1 C. chopped celery, 1 C. chopped sweet onion, and 1- 1 1/2 C of the drippings from the turkey (if you don't have enough, use chicken broth), salt and fresh ground pepper to taste, (I like a lot of pepper with this). Mix all ingredients and enough turkey drippings to make a thick paste consistency. Return this mixture into the #8 skillet and maybe a #6 (or one #10 skillet) and bake at 400 F. until the top begins to brown, usually about 35- 45 min.  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 1:25pm

Bread & Butter Pickles by: C. B. Williams

note: for 2 pints

1 1/4 C water
1  3/4 C vinegar
3/4 C sugar
1 T salt (non-iodized)
1/4 t turmeric
1/4 t pickle crisp
note: if you want it spicier, add a t. cracked red pepper
Directions, heat above to a boil.

about 5 or 6 (4 to 5 inch.) cucumbers sliced to 1/4"
2 slices onion quartered
6 buttons of garlic
6 dried red peppers (small)
2 T pickling spice
4 cloves
Fill the two sterilized pint jars with the cucumbers, onions, garlic,  peppers, spice, and cloves. Then pour the hot liquid to fill the jar to within 1/4" of the top. Seal jars (hot lids) finger tight, and process in boiling water 15 minutes.

pickles_2_001.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 12:49am

Chicago Pizza by: Jeff Friend
Well, really Chcago-style

I know of no pizza parlors anywhere in the southeast that serve this.  But, if you have a No. 12 skillet griddle or a 14-inch deep dish pizza pan, you can make this real Chicago pizza at home.  It is easier  than you may think, but it takes some time.

Crust

To 1 cup of warm water in the bowl of a standing mixer (or any large bowl you may have on hand) add 2 t sugar and 1 t salt.  Swirl the water to dissolve.  Add 1 ½ t yeast and allow the yeast to hydrate for a few minutes.  This is what bakers call proofing the yeast.  Add 1 to 2 T of olive oil.

Add one cup of coarse yellow cornmeal and one cup of bread or all-purpose flour.  Beat the mixture well.  Mix in enough additional flour to make a soft dough.  Total amount of flour should be around 2 ¼ cups.  Knead until smooth.  This dough does not become elastic like bread dough.  Place the dough in an oiled bowl and allow to rise until doubled in bulk.

Topping

2 c shredded mozzarella
1 28 oz can of Italian tomatoes (or fresh Roma tomatoes, if you have’em)
2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
10 to 20 basil leaves, depending on your fondness of basil, chopped

Crush the tomatoes, place them in a colander, and allow the excess juice to drain.  To the drained tomatoes, add the garlic and basil.  Let this mixture sit while the dough is rising.

After about an  hour, when the dough has risen, punch it down and let it rest for 15 minutes or so.  Preheat the oven to 425F.  Put about 2 T olive oil in a No. 12 skillet griddle and spread it around to coat the iron.  Using your fingers, press the dough out to the edges of the skillet (Picture 1).  If the dough become elastic, cover it with a piece of plastic or a tea towel and let it rest for 5 minutes.  Once the dough is pressed out, form a rim around the edge of the dough (Picture 2).  Cover the dough with a piece of plastic or a damp tea towel and let it rise until its thickness doubles.  Then, using a fork, poke holes all over the dough.  Put the crust into the oven (lower rack) for 4 or 5 minutes.  Take the crust out of the oven, and brush it with some olive oil.  Spread the cheese over the crust and return to the oven for a few minutes to let the cheese melt.  Take the pan back out of the oven, and add the toppings:  tomatoes first, then sausage (the traditional meat for this style of pizza) or pepperoni, then peppers, onions, mushrooms, or whatever your heart desires.  My heart (and stomach) desire anchovies, and I believe that I am the only person within a 10-mile radius with such a desire.

Back into the oven, on the bottom rack, for 15 minutes, then the top rack for 5 minutes or so until done.  

Now your tongue is gonna be trying to knock your teeth out to get at this pizza, but take it slow ‘cause it’s real hot.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 4:18am

Turkey Stock by: Tom Neitzel
I know Tom does this a lot, so he knows what he is talking about. C. B.

CB, I almost added a recipe under the simple topic you started a couple weeks back then changed my mind.  To me it was simple, but it took a little work and time.  What is was is that I like to make turkey stock anytime I cook a turkey.  To me it is simple, you just put a big pot on, throw the stuff you don't want (except fat and most skin, but including the giblets), coarsely chop a couple onions, two or three carrots, and 3 or 4 bay leaves and enough water to cover.  Bring to a boil and let it simmer for many hours.  When the turkey is done and carved, I put the carcass and bones in the pot.  I've finally got to the point where I put the pan drippings in too.  Then let it continue to cook for a few hours, maybe overnight.  I will strain out the bones and vegetables, use a de-fatting cup to remove the fat, and end up with about 6 quarts of wonderful stock from a 20 to 22 pound bird.  You can take a quart, throw in some onions, carrots, and bow tie pasta, ending up with the most wonderful soup.  Or use it instead of water to cook rice.  Tastes great.  I end up using pretty much everything except the gobble from a turkey.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 8:38pm

Shrimp Dip by: H. Jesse Dunfee

Heat..not to boil.  Just so gelatin and soup blend in well
1 can tomato soup no water added..just right out of the can
1 pk. unflavored gelatin
1 t salt

Add to above
3/4 C mayo
8 oz. Philly Cream Cheese
1/2 C Diced Celery
1/4 C diced onion

8 oz. cooked shrimp minced  OR  2 cans med shrimp crumbled

Beat with a mixer till well blended and chill overnight.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 8:55pm

Beef Jerky by: Greg Lappe

Greg’s Beef Jerky Recipe (Chinese Style)

Ingredients:

·      2 pounds flank steak sliced thin  
·      1/2 cup soy sauce  
·      1/4 cup honey  
·      6 Cloves garlic minced  
·      1 tablespoon ginger grated -- heaping  
·      1 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes  
·      3 to 4 grinds black pepper freshly ground  
·      1 teaspoon sesame oil  
·      1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce  
·      1 teaspoon onion powder  
·      1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
·      1 teaspoons of Sriracha hot chili/garlic sauce (you can get this at Wal-Mart, see pic.

Directions:

Partially freeze steak to assist in slicing if needed. Remove all extraneous fat; slice thinly (1/4 inch or less). Combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Place the meat in a large Ziploc bag and add the marinade. Mix well by hand to make sure the meat is thoroughly covered. Remove excess air from the bag and seal. Place the bag in the refrigerator for 24 hours to marinate. Dry with dehydrator.

Note from C. B.:  When making jerky, cut the meat with the grain to make it chewy or across the grain to make it tender, whatever you like. If you don't have a dehydrator, you can do it in the oven set very low (150 F) and leaving the door open a bit.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 1:03am

Brandy Alexander by: C. B. Williams

8 oz. vanilla ice cream
4 oz. brandy
1 T original Ovaltine
2  Life savers winter green mints
dash of nutmeg

Put the 2 mints in a blender and run. Add the ice cream, brandy, and Ovaltine. Blend until smooth. Pour into two glasses and top with a dash of nutmeg.  

This is an awesome after dinner drink.

I know this is cheating, but try it. If you ain't cheatin you ain't trying.

C B

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: MISCELLANEOUS and DRINKS
Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 5:57pm

FRESH PEACH DAIQUIRI by: C. B. Williams

There are a lot of peach orchards here in southern Mississippi, and very few things are better than a fresh peach daiquiri. 

3 (or maybe 4 depending on size) very ripe peaches
1 small can frozen lime juice concentrate
2 or 3 T sugar (to taste)
5 oz. rum

put all in blender and blend with ice. 
this hits the spot on a hot day

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 6:23pm

ROASTED GARLIC by: C. B. Williams

Roasted Garlic: 

3 to 4 heads garlic, upper quarter cut off
4 teaspoons olive oil 
salt 
Freshly ground black pepper 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 

Place the garlic on a foil-lined baking sheet and rub 1 teaspoon of oil into the top of each head. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and place, cut side up, on the baking sheet. Bake until the cloves are soft and golden, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Carefully remove each clove of garlic from the head. Squeeze each head of garlic to expel any cloves that you cannot remove individually. Set aside until needed.

Roasted garlic takes on a nutty flavor, and can be used in a lot of ways.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #12 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 3:32pm

CORN DOGS by: C. B. Williams

For home cooking in a small utinsil, I like to cut the weiners in half and use a small skewer about 4" long leaving about 2" to hold on to. These are fried in about 2" of oil. I also prefer the small diameter weiners for better cooking.  

For about 8 corn dogs: (16 halves)

1 C self rising meal
1 C self rising flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t soda
pinch of salt
pinch of red pepper
enough butter milk to make a thick batter

Prepare your weiners by giving them a good dusting of flour to allow the batter to stick better. Roll the dusted weiners in the batter to give them an even coat. Fry in hot oil until the color is to your liking. I like mine crispy, which is a dark brown.  
This is easy and fun for the kids, (or adults). Makes you feel like you have been to a fair.  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 12:07pm

CREOLE CHAURICE by: Steve Butler

2 lbs. ground pork for sausage
2 tbs. chili powder
1 tbs. Old Bay
2 tbs. smoked paprika
1 tbs. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tbs. garlic powder
1/2 bunch of green onions
1/2 bunch of parsley leaves
1 onion
1 bell pepper
2 stalk of celery
1 tsp. sea salt

Grind the onions, peppers, celery, and parsley and then hand mix all ingredients together.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print