Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
SOUPS, STEWS, and CHILI (Read 35817 times)
C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
SOUPS, STEWS, and CHILI
Oct 13th, 2004 at 2:21pm

QUICK FRENCH ONION SOUP BY: C. B. WILLIAMS

One can Campbell's French Onion soup, 3/4 can water ( not 1 can as per directions) - One pkg. grated Mozzarella (or Gruyere or Swiss) cheese- One pkg. seasoned croutons. Heat French onion soup pour into oven proof soup bowls, add croutons to cover the top of the soup then cover with the cheese. (the croutons will support the cheese) Broil until cheese melts and is beginning to brown, just a spot or two. This will make one serving. So easy, it's like cheating. ( An update-- try a 50/50 mixture of water and dry red wine rather than the 3/4 can of water only. nice) (note:a lightly toasted French bread slice can be used in lieu the croutons)

Note: This is very quick and easy but, the real French onion soup recipe is also in this section.

Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: SOUPS, STEWS, ETC.
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 2:26pm

CLAM CHOWDER
BY: GREG STAHL      

Made this one today.  Need at least a #9 DO.  

1/2 pound bacon (slab bacon if possible, remove rind), medium dice  
1 C chopped leeks (about 1 pound)  
1 C chopped yellow onions  
1 C chopped celery  
1 C chopped carrots, peeled  
Salt  
Freshly ground white pepper  
3 bay leaves  
1 T chopped fresh thyme (use 1 teaspoon of dry ground if fresh is not available)  
1/2 cup flour  
1 pound white potatoes, peeled and medium diced  
4 C clam juice  
2 C heavy cream  
2 pounds littleneck clams, shucked, chopped (you can substitute 4-5 12 oz cans of clams.  reserve the fluid for clam juice and if you use 5 cans you'll only need one bottle of clam juice to make the 4 cups OR just add water to bring up the volume).  
2 T finely chopped parsley  

In a #9 Dutch Oven, over medium-high heat, render the bacon until crispy, about 8 minutes. Stir in the leeks, onions, celery, and carrots. Saute' for about 2 minutes or until the vegetables start to wilt. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Add the bay leaves and thyme. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes. Stir in the clam juice. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer the mixture until the potatoes are fork tender, about 12 minutes. Add the cream and bring up to simmer. Add the clams and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper if needed.  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: SOUPS, STEWS,  ETC.
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 3:57pm

GREEN CHILI STEW BY JON SWALBY      

* One 3-4 lb. pork roast.. a pork roast is traditional, but you can use round steak. It's leaner and it tastes OK.   

* Green Chile..we roast our own and pack it into Ziplock bags. I usually use one bagfull per batch. 
This is comparable to about 3 small cans of prepared chile.   

* Cornstarch..enough to dredge the meat.   
* Chicken Broth..this is a hint from our old friend Gene Gene the Dancing Machine. Use about 1 can, or one tablespoon of chicken base   
* Onion..one small to medium onion, diced.   
* Garlic..two cloves, smashed   
* Cumin..about 1/2 teaspoon, or to taste   
* Cilantro..about 1/4 cup, or to taste   
* Oregano..to taste   
* Potato..this is optional, and frankly I rarely use them. If I do, I only use one small potato cut into 1/2 inch cubes.   
* Water to cover. 

Here's how to make it....   

1. Cut the meat into 1/2 inch cubes.   
2. Dredge the meat in the cornstarch.   
3. Salt the meat to taste, and place in a preheated dutch oven to brown.   
4. While the meat is browning, clean your chile and cut into a large dice. If you're using canned chile, open the cans.   
5. Dice the onion.   
6. When the meat has browned, add the chile, onion, garlic, cumin, cilantro, oregano, potato, chicken broth or base and water to cover.   
7. Simmer covered at least until the meat is tender. The longer you simmer it, the thicker and tastier your stew will be! Add more water if necessary.   

8. Serve with flour tortillas and wait for the compliments to roll in!   

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 4:01pm

BOSTON BAKED BEANS BY RICHARD DAVIS

I'll set the record straight right away...  I'm NOT a great cook by any stretch.   However,  when there's a family outing and I bring the beans,  the women in the family have TEARS in their eyes and burn with jealousy...   

The critical part of cooking these beans is in the soaking.  Most recipes tell you to soak the beans overnight.   Soak 'em overnight but make sure they soak a MINIMUM of 12 hours. 

Sort and clean a 1 pound bag of beans per instructions.  I use Great Northerns but any bean will work.  Put them in a large kettle to soak and put a couple of inches of water over the top of the beans. 

After the required soaking time, par boil them in the same water on the stove top.   Boil them 'til the skins peel back when blown on.  This doesn't take more than a few minutes of boiling... 

At this point, remove the water from the beans (saving the water) and pour the beans into a preheated dutch oven.  I warm my #7 up on the stovetop with just a little water in the bottom.   

Now mix 1 ts. salt, 1/2 ts. pepper, 1/2 cup molasses, 1/2 ts. dry mustard, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup of water.  Bring to a boil stirring.  Add this mixture to the D.O. along with 1 medium onion.   Just peel the onion and set it on top of the beans. 

Cover a 1/4 lb. salt pork with boiling water and let sit for 2 minutes.   Add drained salt pork to D.O..  I make diagonal cuts every 1/2 inch or so through the salt pork down to, but not through the rind... 

Now retrieve the water left from boiling the beans and add enough to the D.O. to cover the beans.  Save the remaining water to add to the D.O. as the beans cook... 

Cover and bake in a pre-heated oven @ 300 degrees   
for 6/8 hours.  Check frequently and add water as needed to keep the beans covered.   

Towards the end of this process, I remove the cover and let the beans cook down to the consistancy I'm looking for.... 

This little recipe produces the best baked beans I've ever had...   

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 4:06pm

PAWCLAWS OWN PERFECT BEEF STEW BY: PHIL FOREMAN

4 pounds good beef cut into 1/2 inch cubes (Fat removed and reserved)  
6 to eight carrots pared and cut into 1 inch cubes  
28 ounces of canned diced, or fresh peeled, seeded , and diced tomatoes with liquid/juices  
3 medium onions quartered (Vidalia preferred)  
3 large celery ribs  (large dice)  
1 T sugar or Sweetener  
1 T course sea salt  
8  to 10 cranks on the pepper mill  
1 t each of thyme, rosemary, and marjoram (crushed together)  
1 C red or white wine (white is sweeter)  
water as required
Preheat your dutch oven and add the beef fat pieces to the bottom. .  Cook over low heat just enough to render some of the lard and spread over the bottom of the dutch oven. Remove the fat pieces and all but about 2 tablespoons of the rendered fat from the dutch oven  Add the beef cubes, vegetables, tomatoes, then the spices, and the wine.  Cover and place in a 250 degree oven or use coals to sustain 250 degrees for five hours. Stir occasionally (about once an hour). At the end of the fourth hour adjust seasonings to taste and skim the grease/fat from the top.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 11:58pm

EASY LOADED POTATO SOUP BY: C. B. WILLIAMS                                             

1 can cheddar cheese soup , 1 can milk, about 1/2 C. chopped red potatoes, sauteed until beginning to brown and salt and pepper to taste,( I use a 50/50 mix of olive oil and butter to saute')  3 slices crisp bacon, green onion tops chopped. Heat the cheese soup with the milk, add the prepared potatoes, garnish with crumbled bacon and the chopped green onions. (2 servings)

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 5:21am

EASY SKILLET DINNER BY: MARTY ZIELKE:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a #9 cast iron skillet:

1 1b. of ground beef
1 14-15 oz. can of cut green beans
1 14-15 oz. can of sliced white potatoes
1 4 oz. can of sliced mushrooms
1 can of mushroom soup
1 5-6 oz. can of French fried onions

Fry ground beef.  Transfer beef to colander; drain and rinse off grease.  Return beef to skillet.  Add green beans, potatoes, mushrooms and soup.  Mix thoroughly.  Top with French fried onions.   Bake for 15 minutes. 

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2005 at 1:38pm

Shaker Tomato Soup by: Marty Zielke

1 small chopped onion
2 T of melted butter or oil
1 10 1/2 oz. can of tomato soup
1 t minced parsley (I use dried)
1/8 t of freshly ground pepper  
1/2 C of very finely chopped celery
1 T of lemon juice
1 t of sugar
1/4 t of salt
1 can of water

Saute onion and celery in butter/oil, but do not brown.  Celery will be crisp. Add tomato soup, water, parsley, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper.  Simmer 5 minutes.  Top with unsweetened whipped cream and parsley.  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2005 at 5:25am

HEARTY BARLEY SOUP by: MARTY ZIELKE

This is a very quick and  easy recipe.  It will easily feed a family of four.  A good cornbread goes well with this meal.  

-1 1/4 lb. of ground beef or beef stew meat cut into small pieces  
-1/2 C of chopped onion  
-5 C of water  
-1 14 1/2 oz. can of chopped tomatoes-do not drain  
-3/4 C of barley  
-1 9 0z. package of frozen vegetables or half a 16 oz. bag of the same.  
-1 15 oz. can of dark red kidney beans, drained  
-4 beef bouillon cubes  

In a large dutch oven, fry the onion and beef. When done, drain and rinse off fat.  Return beef & onions to dutch oven.  Add 5 cups of water, 4 beef boullion cubes, the undrained can of tomatoes, frozen vegetables, and barley.  Cook for 20 minutes then add the drained can of kidney beans.  Cook for another 10 minutes and serve.  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 3:54am

CAJUN GUMBO
by Joseph Doucet:

The first step to make a gumbo, etouffee, or crawfish bisque, is a roux which is equal parts of flour and oil. In a heavy skillet put oil and flour and cook over low heat until dark brown, the trick to this is not to burn the flour. After you have the roux made I usually let it sit for ten to fifteen minutes and all the excess oil will come to the top and you can remove some of it. then in a large pot reheat the roux and add chopped onions, celery stir until soft then add hot water ( cold water will make the roux turn a lighter color where hot water will keep it dark) turn the heat up on the pot and bring it to a boil but keep and eye on it because it will start to firm up, when it comes to a boil turn heat down to a simmer and add smoked sausage, diced tomatoes, green onions, bellpepper, garlic, okra, salt, pepper, red pepper to taste. If you are making seafood gumbo you need to let the above cook for about 2 1/2 to 3 hour's before you add the seafood ( shrimp, crab, crawfish, and oysters) and once you add seafood cook for 15 to 20 minutes more. If you want to make it with chicken and sausage you should add these right after you bring to a boil and turn heat down and then cook for 2 1/2  to 3 hours. Here are some amounts for the above 1 cup oil, 1 cup flour, 1-16 ounce can of diced tomatoes, 4 onions, 2 bellpeppers, 5 or 6 cloves of garlic, 1 bunch green onion, 1 lb okra, 6 quarts of water or chicken stock, 6 pounds of shrimp, 2 pounds of crab meat or 6 pounds of whole crab, 1 pint of oysters, 2 pounds of good smoke sausage, 3 pounds of crawfish. If you are doing chicken and sausage you would use 2 whole chickens cut up and 3 pounds of sausage. This will make enough to feed about 20 people.  (Note: the chicken and sausage is a separate gumbo, not mixed with the seafood)       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: Re: SOUPS, STEWS,  ETC.
Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 12:54pm

Mushroom and onion soup by: C. B. Williams

Here is another of my "semi-home made" soups. Campbell's soup now has a mushroom and roasted garlic soup. In a heated pot put in a little olive oil and sautee half C. of chopped Vidalia onion, and a half C. of coarse chopped portabella mushrooms, with a t. of chopped roasted garlic. Add the can of Campbell's soup, and 2 cans of milk and allow to heat. A little salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste and you got something a lot better than straight from the can. This will make a good soup course for your next evening meal (about 4 servings) or soup for 2 if you just want something light. I like it with a grilled cheese sandwich and a good pickle.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 1:42pm

Chicken corn chowder by: Charlee Turner

1 pound of bacon
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 1/2 C diced potatoes
stick of butter
1 1/2 C diced onion
2/3 C each of chopped carrots and celery
1/2 C flour  
3 cans chicken stock
2 cans creamed corn
1 can whole kernel corn
3 bay leaves
4 C of milk
1 chopped bell pepper

Salt, black pepper and white pepper to taste (we used about a tablespoon of salt, 1/4 tsp blk pepper, and 1/8 tsp white pepper)

dashes of Worcheshire sauce and Tabasco sauce.

Cut one pound of bacon into small pieces and put in the bottom of your stockpot to brown.  While it's cooking, peel and dice 2 and a half cups of raw potatoes.  Cook them separately, in salted water, just until tender, drain and set aside.  When the bacon is brown and crispy, add  one stick of butter and 1 1/2 cups of chopped onion to the same pot, without draining the bacon.  Cook, stirring until the onions are transparent.  Add 2/3 cup each of chopped carrots and celery, and the raw meat of two boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.  Stir in a chopped bell pepper, and then add about 1/2 cup of flour and stir...cooking for about 5 minutes.  Add 3 cans of Swansons chicken broth, and when that's stirred in, add 2 cans of creamed corn, and 1 can of whole kernel corn.   Add 3 bay leaves.

Heat 4 cups of milk, and add the warm milk, the potatoes, Worcheshire and Tabasco to your stock pot.  Bring to a SIMMER and cook for 10 to 15 minutes to let the flavors blend...serve with your favorite bread.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 2:42pm

French onion soup
by: C. B. Williams

This is another of those dishes that has about as many ways to do it as there are cooks. I like it done the following way. This recipe is not very exacting as far as amounts go, but it is very forgiving. The only thing that is a must is 4 French onion soup bowls that will hold about 14 oz. , or other similar bowls having some depth and steep sides, and oven proof. It makes 4 servings, and can easily be cut in half or doubled. If you are wondering about how much soup this recipe will make, it is very little more than the amount of beef broth, as the other ingredients have cooked down.  

One note about the onions. When onions are caramelized, the sugar will be concentrated and a sweet onion will become very sweet, making you a sweet soup. If this is what you like, then use sweet onions, it is not my preference.  

ingredients:  

3 large onions (I prefer the white for this)
1/3 stick butter
2 bay leaves
1/2 t. dried thyme (or fresh sprigs tied together for removal)
1/2-3/4 C. dry red wine
2 cans beef broth (14 oz. each) (or equal amount of your own)
French bread sliced about the normal sliced bread thickness, (about 1/3 inch) (enough pieces required to cover the soup when in the bowl)  
2 C. shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese (this is not a place for cheddar)

(1) Cut the top and bottom of the onions and peel off the outer layer. Next, cut the onions in half, top to bottom, and cut thin slices top to bottom. (note: you are not making onion rings but crescent shaped pieces) Melt the butter in a boiler, medium heat, and then put the onions and bay leaves in. Cook covered with an occasional stir until onions are clear and tender, about 15 min.  
  (2) Remove the cover and continue to cook until caramelized to a medium brown color. Stirring often. This may take another half hour, but time is not important, it's the color you are looking for.
  (3) After the onions reach the medium brown color, add enough dry red wine for the onions to absorb plus a little more, and add the thyme. Cook until the wine has reduced to just a little liquid.
  (4) Add the 2 cans of beef broth to heat. and you are done.
  (5) Lightly brush a little olive oil on one side of the bread, and place, oiled side down, in a medium hot cast iron skillet to lightly toast, (not to the browned stage) turn and heat the other side to the dry stage (still white). Bowl the hot soup, and place the toast, oiled side down on the soup to cover, and sprinkle on the cheese. Place bowls in a pan and then under low broil until the cheese is melted. (note: The bowls should not be filled closer than about 3/4 inch of the top, or you will have cheese running out)

This is a little time consuming but you will be rewarded.  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #13 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 10:07am

JAMBALAYA by: Jim Weiss

This recipe for a 12 inch Dutch oven.

2 C chicken broth
1 C Uncle Ben's Rice
3/4 lbs smoked sausage
1 med onion chopped
1/2 red yellow & green pepper chopped (. Save the remains for  decorating the top.)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 stick butter
1/4 tsp garlic salt not powder
1/4 t oregano
1/4 t parsley
1/4 t old bay seasoning
1 andouille sausage
1 can crab meat
1 pound shrimp (peeled and veined)
1/2 pound crawfish ( peeled)
1/ C broth
1 chipotle pepper chopped
8 oz shredded cheese.

Bring rice and broth to boil  
While  rice is cooking take a large 12" or larger C/I skillet and melt the butter, add the onions peppers,garlic seasonings. After sauteing veggies add  sausage crab,meat, shrimp, crawfish, chipoltie pepper & 1/2 cup broth. Bring to a good simmer. The rice should be done by this time so add the contents of the skillet to the rice. Stir. Let cook for a few minutes and remove the lid and place the shredded cheese on top of the rice mixture DO NOT STIR. When cheese has melted remove the lid and place the pepper strips ( for garnish) on top of the cheese. Open a cool bud lite and enjoy!!If using charcoal place one ring around the bottom with 5 0r 6 briquettes under the pot. When rice starts to boil remove the coals under the pot use only the ring. Place a ring of coals around the top to heat the dish to melt the cheese. Total cooking time is about 45 to 50 minutes.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #14 - Nov 17th, 2009 at 7:21am

DUTCH FARMERS SOUP by: Ellen Brown

2 tablespoon butter (or marg)
2 large russet potatoes (1 1/2 lb. peeled and diced)
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
3/4 lb. cauliflower florets, cut into bite sized pieces
6 c. veg stock
raw salt to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste
Gouda cheese crouton for topping (makes the dish complete).

In large Dutch oven, melt butter.  Add vegetables and saute until tender.  Add stock, salt, and pepper.  Boil.  Reduce heat to mediun-low and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender.

Gouda cheese croutons:  Under broiler, place pieces of French bread large enough to span soup bowl.  Toast until hard then place slice of Gouda cheese on top of bread pieces to melt.  Place on top of soup and serve.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: SOUPS and STEWS
Reply #15 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 1:47pm

CHILI BY:  C. B. Williams                                                                                                                      
3  to 3 1/2 lbs. coarse ground beef
1 large chopped bell pepper
2 large chopped onions
**saute' above in a little olive oil***
3 T chili powder
1 T sweet paprika
2 T cumin
2 T brown sugar
1 t oregano
1 t Tabasco
1 T salt
1 can beef broth
1- 14.5 oz. can tomato puree
1- 14.5 oz. can chopped tomatoes
2- 14.5 oz. cans red or black beans (optional) I like
3 ozs. tequila
1 t+ minced garlic
1 (small) can chopped chili peppers
2 whole hot jalapinas (remove after amount of heat is to your liking)  
Note: The last few years, I have added a half stick of butter to this and I think it is better.
Have another can of beef broth available if needed during cooking. This only needs to cook about an hour. Remember the first 3 ingredients were already cooked. Try my "real cornbread" in your favorite muffin pan with this.   

(note on coarse ground beef) Griswold grinders come with 3 grinding plates, fine, medium, and coarse. Use the coarse plate. Or, your butcher should be able to coarse grind it. This usually means running it through his grinder once, regular hamburger is usually run through twice. Regular grind will work, I just prefer the coarse grind for chili.

This is a "toned down" version of a competition chili by Frank Wesh that I learned in 1984, that won the Mississippi chili cook off 2 years in a row, and 8 th place in the national in Terlingua, TX. Competition chili is too spicy for a bowl full, it is just for a taste for the judges.  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #16 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 1:49pm

CHILI VERDE BY: ALAN DYE      

Prepare this in a 5 quart cast iron oven (#8 or #9), seasoned well.   

pre-heat oven to 350   

place 5 quart cast iron oven on burner, medium heat.  When heated add:   

2 t vegetable oil   
1 t whole cumin seed (not ground)   

cumin seeds will sizzle, when toasty, add:   

5 pounds of boneless pork shoulder (marbled but not too fatty) cut into 1 inch cubes   

Brown meat lightly, meat will start to fill the pot with juices.   

add 3 chicken bullion cubes, 1 tbsp dried oregano, 1 tsp garlic powder, stir well (bullion is salty and salts the dish, no additional salt required except at the table)   

add 4 stalks celery cut up fine, and 1 medium onion cut up fine (1/4-1/2 inch dice)   

add 1  27oz can of chopped green chilies (yes that is 3 cups or thereabouts of chopped green mild chilies)   

Stir well, cover with lid, and place in 350 degree oven for 2 hours, stirring  at 1 hour and again when you remove from the oven.  Verde is done when meat is very tender and pieces start to break apart when stirring.   

Serve with mexican rice and hot tortillas.  Garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream, or both.   

I made this today for supper, it was beautiful.  See the attached picture.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #17 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 1:51pm

Chili Con Carne by: Greg Lappe

Ingredients

2 lbs. ground beef   
1 lb. hot Italian sausage
1 medium onion chopped
2 medium green bell peppers chopped
4 cloves garlic minced   
4 T chili powder
1 T Emeril's essence
1/2 t salt
2 t ground cumin
1/4 t cayenne
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 t sugar
1 beer ( I used Budweiser Select)
1 T dried oregano
4 grinds of black pepper
1 T smoked paprika
1 can dark kidney beans with juice
1 can black beans with juice   
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
2 T Olive oil
1 C shredded cheese, for topping

Directions

Brown the ground beef stirring to break up the pieces, drain and set aside. Same for the sausage if not in a casing. If in a casing remove the sausage from the casing by slicing the link long ways and peel off the casing. Once browned drain grease and set aside. Add the olive oil, onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt, black pepper and cook, stirring, until soft. Now add the beer, tomato paste, sugar, cumin, chili powder, essence, smoked paprika, cayenne, dried oregano, ground beef, kidney beans, black beans, and sausage to the pot. Stir well and bring to bubbling. Lower the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: SOUPS, STEWS, and CHILI
Reply #18 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 3:37pm

Taco Soup by: C. B. Williams
    This is good and easy.

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 large onion fine chopped
1 16 oz. can pinto beans
1 16 oz. can chili beans
1 16 oz. can whole kernel corn
1 16. oz can Mexican style chopped tomatoes (tomatoes with chilis)
1 pkg. (1 oz.) Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix (dry)
1 pkg. taco seasoning mix
1 small can chopped green chilis
This is a bit mild, so season as you like

Cook ground beef & onions until onions are clear and soft.
Add other ingredients including their juices and simmer 1 hour.
I serve this with warmed tortilla chips.

This is something that a number of things could be adjusted such as the type of beans. 2 cans of black beans to replace the pintos and chilis are good.    

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: SOUPS, STEWS, and CHILI
Reply #19 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 4:50pm

ETAUFEE by: C. B. Williams

An etaufee is basically a thicker version of gumbo, and is served over a bed of white rice. There are as many recipes as there are cooks who make it. Some start with a roux, some don't. Some use chopped tomatoes or tomato paste and some don't. I have eaten this when it was very spicy and sometimes rather mild. Here is one version that I like.  

1 stick of butter
2 C chopped onions
1 C chopped celery
1/2 C chopped bell pepper
1 lb. peeled crawfish tails or peeled  
1 T flour
1/4 C chopped parsley
1/4 C chopped green onion tops

seasonings: salt, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, basil.  

In a skillet, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Add the chopped onions, celery, and bell pepper and cook until the veggies are tender and onions are clear. Add the crawfish tail or shrimp, chopped parcely, and the spices. Cook about 5 minutes more and add the green onion tops. Some water will need to be added both while the veggies are cooking and probably near the end to get the thickness right.  
Notice this recipe doesn't really have a roux, as the amount of flour is less than would be required to make it a roux. Other ingredients to consider would be chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped mushrooms, or many other possibilities, depending on what you like. I usually put in some chopped mushrooms if they are in the refg., if not, no problem.  
This is always served over a bed of white cooked rice. I have seen this served as a meal, and a small protion as an appitiser.
I half this recipe for my wife and me. Enjoy.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print