Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
APPETIZERS and HORS D'OEUVRES (Read 16609 times)
C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
APPETIZERS and HORS D'OEUVRES
Oct 13th, 2004 at 1:36pm

COMITA'S MEXICAN DIP

This is a layered dip to use with your favorite chip ( I like scoops). This is not mixed, but layered and refrigerated until ready to use, can be made the day before.
Use a large casserole dish.
(1) 2 cans refried beans with chilies and onions
(2) 8 oz.sour cream and 8 oz. taco seasoning mixed
(3) 8 oz. avocado or guacamole dip
(4) 1 small can pace salsa
(5) 1 small can sliced ripe olives
(6) 2 tomatoes chopped
(7) 1 pkg. grated sharp cheddar  
(8) top with finely chopped green onion tops.  

note: layer this in the above order, it is very nice to look at and good to boot.

Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: APPITIZERS AND HORS D'OEUVRES
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 10:14pm

SPICY CHEESE DIP BY: ROGER BARFIELD

A big hit at football watching parties.

In a large cast iron skillet or dutch oven bottom, brown one of the package of the Jimmy Dean or Owen breakfast sausage.  You can use spicy sausage for more of a kick.  I take a wooden spoon and break up so that it looks like browned hamburger meat.  Then add two small cans of rotel. I use the diced one.  You can add the juice or drain depending how hot you want it.  Then I add about a hand full of shedded cheddar and a hand full of shedded colbyjack cheese.  Then add a large block of velveta that has been cut into chunks.  Heat this on low and stir occasionally to blend and prevent burning.  Once melted, add enough Pace picante sauce (or something equivalent)  to turn the color a little reddish.  You can add some Louisiana hot sauce depending on how hot you want it.   If it gets too hot , you can always add some milk to tone it down.   I try to serve with chips that are not too salty.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 4:04pm

VENISON BOMBS BY: C. B. WILLIAMS

--Cut up venison into thin pieces that will be about 2" X 4" after being tenderized with a mallet. Maranate in Italian dressing for about 15 to 30 min.  Roll up a slice of jalapeno pepper with each piece of venison, then roll that up with a half piece of bacon and secure with a tooth pick and place back in maranate for 15 to 30 min. Sprinkle a little Tony's or Zatarain's creole seasoning then grill these up before your favorite grilled main course. ( We usually use a tenderloin for the thin slices, and put on skewers will make for easier turning.) This was shown to me by a buddy, Tom Mathews, a good cook.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 3:56am

PATTIES BY AUNT ELLEN   (rosettes)

The original recipe from Griswold, (Aunt Ellen). *2 eggs * 1/4 tsp. salt * 1 tsp. sugar * 1 C. milk * 1 C. flour---- Beat the eggs slightly, add sugar, salt and milk. Stir in flour gradually, and beat until smooth. Screw handle into mold. Dip iron into hot lard or oil, then into batter, not allowing batter to come over the top of the iron. Fry for at least 20 seconds but not more than 35 seconds. Remove from iron with a clean piece of cheesecloth, and allow to cool before serving.       Aunt Ellen's name was Etta Moses, she was a secretary for one of the Griswold's.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 3:39pm

CHEESE STRAWS
BY C B WILLIAMS

2 C self rising flour
1/2 t salt
1 t cayanne pepper
8 OZ. sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
5 OZ. butter or margarine (melted) (1 1/4 sticks)
1/4 C flour for rolling the dough
oil (to cover baking sheet)       

Preheat oven to 375 F. **In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, cayanne pepper, and cheese thoroughly. Add melted butter and mix. **Chill dough in refg. for 20 min.**Place dough on a large, floured board and roll with a floured rolling pin to about 1/4 " thick. **Using a fork draw the tines along dough making ridges.**Cut dough into approx. 1" X 3" shapes. **Oil cookie sheet and place cheese straws on it.** Bake for about 12 to 15 min. until straws look dry but not brown. Let cool.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 1:37pm

Deviled Eggs by: Jim Maloney

(serves 10-15 people)

18 boiled, peeled eggs
¾ C mayonnaise
¼ C Dijon style mustard
1 T dry mustard (hot Chinese if you can get it)
1 t ground coriander  
1/2 t ground cumin
Smoked paprika for garnish

Slice the eggs into halves and separate the yolks into a bowl, place the whites in a shallow fireproof dish or a cookie sheet and cover so they don’t dry out.  Put the yolks into a food processor and pulse about 6 one second pulses so they are uniform. Add the dry ingredients and pulse a few times again to mix. Add the mustard & mayonnaise and run the processor until the mixture is smooth (15 seconds or so).  If the mix looks too dry, add some more mayo.  

Put the yolk mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large fluted tip and pipe it into the whites.  The ridges are key to the next step, so if you don’t have a pastry bag and fluted tip try making the ridges with a fork.  Now comes the best part – devils live in Hell and Hell has fire, so get a propane torch and put the Hell-fire to the yolks until the ridges brown a little,  The mix will puff a little bit too.  Once you have the ridges uniformly singed, sprinkle paprika (smoked Hungarian Paprika adds a nice extra dimension) and maybe some chopped parsley over the eggs.

Notice, the heat comes from the mustard, not from chili pepper.  If you must add chili powder or pepper sauce, it’s not my recipe.  If you’re using the hot Chinese mustard, try a little with ordinary yellow powdered mustard until you know how much heat you like.  If you don’t have a piping bag, you really need to get one – they are so useful and really dress your dishes up with very little effort.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 1:42pm

Shrimp Skewers with bacon by: Jim Maloney

2 Lbs large shrimp (24-30 count) peeled & deveined,
1 lb bacon (slices cut in half)
¼ C Dijon mustard.  
2 T prepared horseradish
2 T Mayonnaise
½ t dried dill
½ t ground black pepper
6” long bamboo skewers, soaked in water

Place the bacon on a rack & bake at 375 F until it gets translucent, but before it starts to stiffen.  Let it cool
Peel & devein the shrimp, (Freeze the shells for a great stock for another dish)
Mix the mustard, horseradish, mayo, dill, and pepper (you don’t need salt, because the mustard and bacon have plenty) in a large bowl.  Add the shrimp & coat with the mix.  

Prepare the skewers by first threading the skewer through one end of a ½ strip of bacon, then a shrimp skewered head & tail, fold the bacon over one side of the shrimp and pass the skewer through the center of the bacon, add a second shrimp and then the other end of the bacon strip. The bacon should make an ‘s’ shape over then under the two shrimp when viewed from the side.

Place the shrimp on a rack with a cookie sheet underneath and broil on high until the shrimp is pink and the bacon is just about ready to burn.  Flip them over and broil the second side. If the long ends of the skewers stick out, cover them with a strip of foil so they don’t burn.  Serve ‘em hot and watch them disappear.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #7 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 7:17pm

Sausage Balls by: C. B. Williams

This recipe makes about 30 or so.  

1 lb. good uncooked fresh pork sausage, I prefer hot.
1 C shredded sharp cheddar
1/4 C yellow corn flour
1 T olive oil

Mix all above and roll into evenly sized bite sized balls (about 1" dia.)
Place in a pan that has more of the corn flour in it, and roll around to coat on the outside.  
Bake on wire racks in a 350 F. oven until outside is a little brown. about 20 min.  

Corn flour can be a little difficult to find, but in some cases is much better than wheat flour. If you can't find corn flour, use a mixture of corn meal and flour (about 50/50).

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #8 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 7:20pm

Deviled Eggs by: C. B. Williams

Deviled eggs are a very good addition to a party. There are about as many recipes on these as there are cooks. Here is my favorite.
Half the eggs and remove the yolks. Finely chop some "bread and butter" pickles. Mix the yolks, pickles, a little mustard and mayonnaise, and some fresh ground black pepper. Mash to a smooth mixture. To make this mixture a little creamier, add a little of the pickle juice, and fill the white halves. Now my "kink", top with a little caviar. Notice I didn't use any salt in the original mixture because the caviar will be salty enough. If you use paprika or any other topping, a little salt will be necessary in the mixture. (Most people use a relish instead of the "bread and butters", but I think the pickles add a better taste and a little crunchiness to the mix.)
Note: A good substitute for the mayonnaise is sour cream. Thanks to Charlee Turner

Note #2: I have used using thinly sliced smoked salmon as a topping. If you are going to make a lot of these, try using different toppings.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2009 at 3:05pm

ESCARGOT by: C. B. Williams

One the all time great appetizers is escargot. There are several species of edible snails with the Helix probably the most popular.  

With canned escargot, you need to rinse them a couple of times because they seem to develop an "off" taste in the can. This is done with warm water and sometimes with a little vinegar added.   

There are several ways to serve them. An escargot dish works well, which has little cups about like those of an abelskiver pan except a bit smaller. The more traditional way is in the shell, which I re-use but give them a good boil before each use. To hold the shells upright, a bed of rock salt is often used in the pan they are cooked in which keeps the butter mixture in the shell.  I put these in a 375 deg. oven until the butter mixture is bubbling, about 20 min. Serve hot.

The common method is to make a butter mixture.  

1 stick of soft butter
2 T fine chopped shallot or green onions or grated sweet onion
1 1/2 T minced garlic
1/4 C fresh parsley  (or 1/8 C if dried)
salt and pepper to taste
(This will do 18 to 24 snails)

(note: I personally go a bit heavier on the onion and parsley)

Mix above butter and put about a teaspoon (or maybe a little more)  on each escargot, either in the shell or in the cups. Bake at 425 F. for 10 minutes.  
A lot of different mixtures for the butter can be done.  

Serve with some good French bread and use the bread to get all the butter mixture.

I had this served at a restaurant in the #3 cast iron skillet it was cooked in with plenty of the snail butter. Choose a skillet big enough for one layer of the snails and still leave room for the butter. Nice unique way of serving the dish.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #10 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 1:14pm

BOUDIN BALLS by: Daniel McDowel

2 lbs. of pork
1 pork liver (I use chicken livers about 1/4lb)
1 pork heart ( I use chicken heart and gizzards 1/2 lbs)
1 onion (quartered)
1 stalk of celery
1 pod of garlic

Cover with water and boil till tender, ( I pressure cook about 10 to 15 min)
remove onion, celery and garlic save the broth.
Course grind the meats.

Chop the following:  
2 onions  
2 bunches of green onions
1 bunch of parsley
5 cloves garlic

mix all the above ingredients with 6 cups of cooked rice, use the broth to get the right consistency. You don't want it to dry.
Here's the fun part!!! SEASON TO TASTE, I use red and black pepper.  You can get really creative here, I know they do in south Louisiana, and that's why boudin runs from mild, to hot, to really hot!!!

Option 1. (Links) The mixture can be stuffed into sausage casing and steamed or boiled 20 to 25 min before serving.

Option 2. (Balls) This is the way we like it, take mixture, shape in to balls (I use a ice cream scoop) roll in Seasoned (again do what you like here) flour or fish fry type meal, deep fry, serve with hot mustard or Louisiana hot sauce.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #11 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 7:44pm

Stuffed cremini mushrooms  

These are stuffed with some bulk breakfast sausage that has been browned and broken up. Topped with your favorite cheese and a few chopped green onions and a sprinkle of good balsamic vinegar. I heat the pan first which starts the mushrooms cooking then stuff them and put in the oven to finish.
 I found a new use for an abelskiver pan.  
 Any mushroom about this size will do, I like the creminis, which are baby portabellas.

ablerooms_004_002.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: APPETIZERS and HORS D'OEUVRES
Reply #12 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 5:11pm

SARDINE DIP by: C. B. Williams

I make this sardine dip on a regular basis and it's quite a hit at the lake on weekends.  

2 cans skinless and boneless sardines in olive oil (drain about 1/2 the oil)
1/4 C grated onions
1/4 C chopped celery  
a few chopped green onion tops for color
1/4 C mayo. or sour cream
hot sauce to taste
1 t chopped garlic

Mix all above until smooth and serve with your favorite crackers.

Your guests will have no idea they are eating sardines.

Note: Any good sardine can be used, but I keep the skinless and boneless in the pantry at all times.        

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #13 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 5:13pm

GREEN ONION DIP by: C. B. Williams

I like this just to have around for a lot of things including twice baked potatoes and just dipping.   

1/2 C mayonnaise 
1 C sour cream 
1/2 C finely chopped green onion tops 
1/4 C finely chopped parsley 
1 T French style mustard 
1 T finely chopped garlic (or more) 
1 or 2 pinches red pepper 

Mix all above and refrigerate for a few hours to let all the flavors marry. If you would rather not see the onion and parsley pieces, put it in a blender, but I don't. If you like it thinner, mix in a little butter milk.   

I really like this with some chopped bacon in a twice baked potato.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #14 - Dec 13th, 2011 at 2:29pm

CHICKEN WING DIP by: Ty Williams

8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened  
1/2 cup blue cheese or ranch salad dressing  
1/2 cup FRANK'S® REDHOT® Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce or FRANK'S® REDHOT® Buffalo Wing Sauce  
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese  
2 cans (12.5 oz. each) White Premium Chunk Chicken Breast in Water, drained or boiled chicken breast

•      HEAT oven to 350°F. Place cream cheese into deep baking dish. Stir until smooth.  
•      MIX in salad dressing, Frank's RedHot Sauce and cheese. Stir in chicken.  
•      BAKE 20 min. or until mixture is heated through; stir. Garnish as desired. Serve with crackers, chips or vegetables.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #15 - May 1st, 2012 at 3:15pm

MARINATED CRACKERS by: C. B. Williams

This will surprise you. After reading the recipe, you might think, yuck the crackers will be soggy. Not so. There are several recipes on this, but this is my twist.  

2 sleeves saltine crackers
1 pkg. Hidden Valley dry ranch dressing mix
1/2 C EV olive oil
1 t red pepper flakes (or to taste) I use more but I like spicy
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t dried oregano

I use a 1 gal. zip lock bag, or you can use a large lidded plastic bowl. Mix all ingredients and turn several times for an hour.  
The first time I tried this, it didn't have the oregano or garlic powder in it, but it sounded Italian to me and I added these two ingredients.  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print