Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BREADS, MUFFINS, ETC. (Read 24295 times)
C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: BREADS, MUFFINS, ETC.
Reply #23 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 10:42pm

Snickerdoodle Bread by: Amanda and Morgan Stahl

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: one loaf

Ingredients:
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon + ½ tablespoon cinnamon, keep separate
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup Greek yogurt
¾ cup add-ins (nuts, raisins, dried berries, butterscotch or cinnamon chips)
1 teaspoon brown sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour one 9×5″ loaf pan
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and one teaspoon of cinnamon together in a medium bowl.
3. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy in a large bowl by hand or using an electric mixer. This should take about 5 minutes.
4. Thoroughly mix one egg in at a time.
5. Mix in vanilla and Greek yogurt.
6. Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
7. Fold in desired additions.
8. Pour the batter into the greased pan until it’s two-thirds of the way full. Feel free to bake extra batter into muffins.
9. Combine brown sugar and 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon in a small dish. Top bread evenly with mixture.
10. Bake 40-45 minutes, until the bread has lightly browned and a toothpick can be cleanly inserted. Cool and enjoy at room temperature.

Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #22 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 2:57pm

HERBED SKILLET BREAD by: Janis Bergins

Herbed skillet Flat Bread

1 tablespoon sugar
1 ½ cup warm water
1 package dry yeast
3 ¼ to 3 ¾ cups bread flour
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary plus fresh rosemary sprigs
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
½ cup olive oil
4 cloves of garlic (I use about twice that many)
In a bowl dissolve the sugar in ½ cup warm water and sprinkle yeast on top, set it aside and wait for it to foam.
I use a Kitchen Aid mixer. Place 3 ¼ cups flour, the chopped rosemary and 2 teaspoons of the salt plus ½ teaspoon of pepper. Mix to combine dry ingredients.
Stir ¼ cup olive oil into yeast and add remaining water together.
Turn mixer on and slowly add liquid ingredients. When thoroughly mixed switch to bread hook and continue mixing.
Place in covered bowl (oil the inside) for 1 hour in warm place, push down and leave for another hour.
Take a cast iron skillet, I use one that is about 12” in diameter, preheat in 400 degree oven.
Place dough into skillet and score top of bread with a sharp knife in a crisscross pattern.
Scatter garlic and rosemary sprigs over top, and the rest of the coarse salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
Drizzle with remaining olive oil.
Bake for 30 minutes or until it has a hollow tone when tapped.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #21 - Nov 13th, 2015 at 2:58pm

No Knead Bread by: Mark Smith

No knead Crusty Bread with raisins and cinnamon
Yesterday at 1:06pm Mark & Quote Quote Modify Remove
I have been playing with my new Lodge Porcelain Dutch. I came across a recipe for no knead bread. Of course I couldn't leave it alone. So here what I did

Crusty Bread with raisins and cinnamon
3 cups bread flour or 2 cups bread flour and 1 cup whole wheat.
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup hemp fruit
1 1/2 cups water

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast.  Add water and mix until a shaggy mixture forms.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 - 18 hours.  Overnight works great.  Heat oven to 450 degrees.  When the oven has reached 450 degrees place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball.  Cover with plastic wrap and tea towel let set while the pot is heating.  Remove hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough.  Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes.  Remove bread from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.

I also cut a piece of parchment paper and place it under the dough ball lets me form with less flour and I use the paper to lift the dough into the dutch oven. you can leave the parchment paper in the dutch oven while baking and it takes it easy to lift the bread out when done and with clean up.

IMG_1092.jpg (126 KB | 0 )

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #20 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 3:51pm

IRISH SODA BREAD by: Chuck Fredrickson

Traditional Irish Soda Bread

A true Irish Soda bread has four ingredients. This loaf was made up of: 4c cake flour, 1t baking soda, 1t salt and 14oz butter milk

Mix all the ingredients well, do not over mix. It will be a sticky dough that you do not knead. Form into a cabbage sized ball and gently flour the exterior. Place into a greased and floured dutch oven and cross score the top. Place lid on dutch oven and bake at 425F for about 30min, then uncover and continue about another 15 0r 20min.

There are many recipes that call for all sorts of things to be added. The tradition is none of this, sort of like a true southern cornbread... keep it simply true.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #19 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 3:38pm

IRISH SCONES by: Ken Davis
male

Ingredients:

• 3 cups all purpose flour
• ½ cup sugar
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 1¼ cups raisin (substitute blueberries, dried currents or dried cranberries)
• 2 tbsp caraway seeds (optional but not recommended with berries)
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1½ cups buttermilk
• 2 tbsp Crisco shortening (melted but not too hot)

Directions:

• Preheat oven to 325°
• Generously grease a 10” skillet or Dutch oven
• Sift all dry ingredients together
• Add eggs, milk and shortening and mix/fold together then add raisins/berries
• Bake at 325° for one hour

Note:

You can also fill the wedges of an 8” cornbread pan ½ full and put the rest of the batter in an 8” DO for the one hour time. The cornbread pan bakes in 45 minutes.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #18 - May 2nd, 2011 at 3:32pm

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS by: Jodi Nielson

1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (or more) fresh blueberries

Combine sugar, butter, eggs, milk and vanilla.  Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.  Stir wet mixture into the flour mixture until batter is smooth.  Fold in blueberries. 

Topping:  1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 2-3 teaspoons butter--cut butter into dry mixture and sprinkle on top before baking. 

Bake at 375 degrees (I used 350 degrees for the cast iron) 20-25 minutes.

NOTE:  You can add mashed banana, other berries, any fruit really.  I also sometimes toss in mini chocolate chips, add a bit of cinnamon.  Don't forget to heat the iron before adding the batter and grease well or spray with PAM.  Yum!

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #17 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 2:57pm

CINNAMON SWIRL BREAD by: Greg Stahl

Sourdough Cinnamon Swirl Bread    

Well, I've experimented, failed, succeeded and then tweaked this recipe until I'm so happy to share it with you.  It turns out so good, that you might as well just make another loaf after you have the first one done, as you will need it about 30 minutes after the first one is out of the oven.

Dough Ingredients
2 cups of active, bubbly sourdough starter  
1 tsp diastatic malt powder (KAF)
1 tsp whole grain improver (KAF)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract (I use my homemade, so I use half this amount as mine is so strong)
1/8 cup of KAF Baker's special dry milk + 1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup softened Omega-3 Smart Balance buttery sticks (1/2 stick)
1/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes
2 tsp SAF red instant yeast (KAF)

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour (KAF)
1 3/4 cups KAF bread flour

Filling Ingredients
3/4 cup of KAF Baker's cinnamon filling + 3 TBSP water
1/4 cup softened Omega-3 Smart Balance buttery sticks (1/2 stick)

KAF products can be purchased online at this SITE.  

Directions:
DOUGH
Mix all (but the two last ingredients, the flour) the ingredients together in a bread mixer bowl until well blended.  Start to add the flour with your mixing flat beater in 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup amounts in the mixer bowl until you have about 1 cup of flour remaining.  Remove the flat beater and replace it with the dough hook.  Add the rest of the flour and let the dough hook knead the mixture for about 6 minutes.

Take another bowl and oil it well with olive oil.  Place the dough into the bowl and flip the dough around until it is well coated with oil.  Place Saran wrap on the top and place in a proofing oven at about 100 F until the dough almost doubles in volume.  If you don't have a proofing oven, just let it sit covered at room temperature for about 2 hours or until it about doubles in volume.

Assembly and filling
After the volume has increased, you are going to roll the dough to a9x18 inch rectangle.  Oil the area (NOT FLOUR!!) and roll out the dough.  Using your hands smear the butter onto the dough, except 1/2 inch of the 9 inch side of the rolled out dough (so you can seal the loaf).  Using your buttery hands, add the filling in the same manner and get an even filling amount on the entire loaf.  Starting at the small end that has the filling to the edge, roll up the loaf as tight as possible until you get to the unfilled end and seal the loaf.  Spray your loaf pan with PAM, add the rolled up loaf and spray the top with PAM or oil, place the SARAN that you used before on the top and let the loaf rise until about 1 inch above the top of your loaf pan.

Preheat the oven to 350F and bake for 30 - 40 min (until internal temp is 190F).  Tent with aluminum foil if the top starts to get too brown.  I usually tent the loaf after 30-35 min into the bake cycle.  Remove from oven and loaf pan and place on a wire rack for at least 30 min and then enjoy.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #16 - May 19th, 2009 at 7:16pm

BEER BREAD by: Greg Lappe

Ingredients

·      3-1/3 cups bread flour  
·      1 teaspoon salt  
·      1 tablespoon of  sugar  
·      1 (12 ounce) can of dark beer at room temperature  
·      1 tablespoon of active dry yeast  
·      1 tablespoon of olive oil

If you want to make a fake sourdough add 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar to the mix.

Directions

Mix flour and salt in a mixing bowl.  

Pour about 1/3 of the beer in a separate small bowl with the yeast and sugar.  Mix until the sugar and yeast is dissolved and let stand about ten minutes until the mixture foams.

Pour the small bowl of the yeast mixture, the remaining beer, and the olive oil in the mixing bowl with the flower and mix with a dough hook until combined into a soft smooth sticky dough.  
(You will need to flour your hands or it will stick to you.)

Place the dough in a well-oiled bowl and cover with saran wrap. Place the bowl in a warm place to rise until doubled. Once the dough is doubled in size punch it down and lightly knead.

Place the dough in whatever baking pan that you prefer and place it in a warm oven to rise.

Once the dough has risen again bake at 375 for about 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.

If you want a crusty outside to the loaf just place a sheet pan on the lower rack and toss a few ice cubes on it a couple of times during the baking process.

This recipe is perfect for a 3qt Dutch oven.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #15 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 7:21pm

Annadama Bread by: Jim McCleary

Anna Damn Her or Annadama bread

1/2 C water
1/4 C of cornmeal
2 T butter
1/2 C molasses
1 pkg. active dry yeast or 1Tbl. spoon
1/2 C warm water 110 deg f
3 C AP flour divided
1 t salt

Place half cup of water and cornmeal in a saucepan bring to the boil over medium heat, stir occasionally.  
Cook until it thickens remove from heat stir in butter and molasses let cool to luke warm.
In a small bowl dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water until creamy
In a large bowl combine the cornmeal mixture and the yeast mixture stir until incorporated.
Add 2 cups of the flour and salt mix well.  
Gradually add remaining flour until the dough comes together.  
Turn out to a lightly floured board or counter and kneed until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Lightly oil the mixing bowl {I use leaf lard} place the kneaded dough shaped into a ball in the bowl, turn to coat.
Cover and let rise in a warm spot until double in bulk.
Punch down turn out to the floured surface, a light kneed and final shape
Place in a 9x5 loaf pan lightly greased with the lard or oil.
Final rise until doubled in volume.
Place in a pre-heated  375deg oven about 30 t0 40min until top is golden brown
and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.  
Let cool before slicing if you can.

This bread goes great with soups, chowders, chili, beans and so on.
Also makes for some great toast.  
Enjoy, Jim

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #14 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 7:10pm

Dinner Rolls by: Tom Penkava

This is for a 12in DO/CO and makes about 24 to 36 dinner rolls.  ( double everything for a 14in CO )  
NOTE:  dough rise time depends on ambient temp; cool weather takes twice as long to rise.  

1 T yeast ( I used a package of Fleichmann’s, whatever )  
1 1/4 C warm milk (mix yeast in )  
1/4 C sugar  
2 large eggs  
3 1/2 C stone ground whole wheat flour ( can also use bread flour for white rolls )  
1 t salt  
1/2 stick melted butter ( mix with eggs )  
1/4 C light veg oil (mix with eggs )  

Procedure = mix dry ingredients ( start with 2 cups of the flour ), add egg mixture.  When well blended, add milk mix, add remaining flour till you just reach non sticky bread dough. ( usually takes 1/2 cup more flour than recipe )  
Cover mixing bowl with terry cloth & let rise to double size. ( in oven with light on or CO with 2-3 coals under )  
When done rising, melt 1/2 stick butter in CO, spread well up sides, then pinch off enough dough to make 1 1/2 - 2 in round ball, roll all around melted butter & arrange around sides, ( you can squeeze the dough balls to completely fill DO/CO )  
Should have 24 -36 dough balls.  
Cover and let rise to double size, then bake about 25-45 minutes @ 350 degrees. ( 12in oven = 24-26 briquettes, 1/3 on bottom only around outer edge ( none in center ) 2/3 on lid.  
Do not lift lid until 20 minutes have gone buy or you loose 5 min cooking time.  Check with tooth pick/sliver and adjust remaining time.
Note:  Can also use this for bread, makes a cake-like bread.
enjoy, Tom P.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #13 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 12:42pm

HOMEMADE BISCUITS by: Comita Williams

First a stainless steel bowl, (it is cool) then about 2 cups of self rising flour, then about 2 or 3 T Crisco, (this is kept in a pantry and at least as cool as the inside air, ie. not over the oven) then mix with a tablespoon only until lumpy (no hands because they are warm and you want the Crisco to remain cool) ---Now mix in buttermilk (not the 0% fat) until you have a stiff mix. Dump out onto a floured board and roll over with the hands (do not kneed). Pinch off portions and make into biscuit shapes (note: the edges are not cut as if a cutter did this) and put into a pan and into oven at 450. Locate these in your oven so that the top gets done about the same time as the bottom. Ovens vary greatly in temp. and evenness of temp. As a rule convection and self cleaning ovens because of their better insulation have more even temp. however all ovens have a personality so adjust to your oven. One last note, we see advertising on biscuits saying "light and fluffy" , these are NOT light and fluffy, they are cat heads. This is not an exact recipe,  practice and you will have something special. I wish I could be more exacting, but this is close as I can do it. C B

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #12 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 11:28am

TOMATO WAFFLES, as found by Brian Vick:                                      
(from an old Wagner recipe)

Pare 6 med. ripe tomatoes, chop very fine, add 1 t. salt, 1/4 t. white pepper, and 1 T butter, melted. Add enough flour to make a thin griddle cake batter; then beat 3 eggs until foamy, and add. Sift 1/2 t baking soda into a little of the flour before adding. Bake at least 1 min. on each side. Serve as an entree.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 1:07pm

Southwest cornbread by: Brik Poole (courtesy Martha White Foods)
INGREDIENTS
½ lb Andouille or Smoked Sausage; Use 1 lb with big appetites
1-(15 oz) can Black Beans; rinsed and drained
1-(11oz) can Whole kernel Sweet Corn
1-(16 oz) jar thick and chunky salsa

TOPPING
1-6.5 oz pkg. Martha White Cornbread Creations Extra Rich Buttermilk Premium Mix
2/3 C milk
2 oz. shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
2 T chopped Cilantro

METHOD
1) Heat oven to 450 degrees F.  Cut up and brown sausage.
2) Combine sausage, salsa, black beans and corn in a 10 inch oven proof skillet (cast iron**).
3) Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally for 3 to 5 minutes or until bubbly and thoroughly heated.  Cook off most of the moisture.
4) Combine all topping ingredients and stir until well blended.
5) Spoon cornbread topping over sausage mixture; spread evenly to cover.
6) Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
7) Let stand 5 minutes.

Serves 6  

B.P. Notes:
** I prefer cast iron.  Use a large skillet, a 10 or 10 1/2 inches.  Don’t try this with a plastic handled, Teflon coated skillet.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #10 - May 16th, 2005 at 2:04pm

AEBLESKIVERS
BY: MARTY ZIELKE

2 C flour
2 T of melted butter or oil
2 C buttermilk
4 eggs, separated
1/4 C sugar
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda

Vegetable or Canola Oil
Powdered Sugar

Separate the eggs.  Whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.  In  
another bowl, beat the egg yolks, then add the buttermilk and melted  
butter or oil.  Beat in the flour, sugar, baking soda and baking  
powder.  When this is blended together, fold in the egg whites.

Heat the aebleskiver pan on the stove over low/medium heat.  Pour a 1/2 C.  
of oil into a small bowl.  With a teaspoon, but 1 tsp. of oil in each of  
the cups.  After the oil heats, fill the cups almost to the top with  
batter.  With two pointed sticks or skewers, roll the aeblesksiver over  
when the bottom gets light brown.  This will take a couple of minutes, but  
check one after a minute.  You don't want these to turn dark  
brown.....bake slowly, or aebleskivers will get dark on the outside and  
will not be cooked on the inside.  After the first couple of batches, you  
can almost roll these over with one stick/skewer.  When they are done,  
roll in powdered sugar before going on to next batch.  I'd say it takes  
about 5 minutes per batch to cook.  After I remove these from the pan, I  
put the oil in the pan for the next batch so it can heat up while I'm rolling the  
previous batch in powdered sugar.

Enjoy!

Aebleskiver Annie AKA Marty Zielke

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2005 at 1:54pm

PUMPKIN OAT STREUSEL MUFFINS BY: MARTY ZIELKE

STREUSEL TOPPING
¼ C  old fashioned oats
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp melted butter
1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice

MUFFIN
1½ C flour
1 C old fashioned oats
¾ C brown sugar
½ C chopped nuts 
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
½ tsp baking soda
1 C pumpkin
¾ C milk
1/3 C vegetable oil
1 egg lightly beaten

Heat oven to 400°F.   
For streusel, combine all ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
For muffins, combine flour, oats, sugar, nuts, if desired, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in large bowl; mix well. In medium bowl, combine pumpkin, milk, oil and egg; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)

Heat a cast iron muffin pan until it is very warm.  Remove from oven and using a pastry brush, coat each cup with Crisco.  You will probably need two pans.   
Fill muffin cups almost full. Sprinkle with reserved streusel, patting gently.
Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Serve warm.
Makes 12

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 2:22pm

PLETTS
BY: PAUL BEER

Here is the recipe for making those Swedish pancakes on those funny pans you see trading on ebay...they are not for eggs or some of the other weird things people say they may be for...but they do make the best little dollar pancakes...and they are addictive....and they ain't for low stuff diets...

3 eggs  
2 C milk  
3/4 C flour  
3 T sugar  
3 T melted butter  

Beat eggs, add all other ingredients except butter. Add melted butter after all ingredients are well blended.  
Spoon small amount in each cup on the pan and cook like a pancake turning over when they bubble on top...Use medium heat on the pan just like you would on any pancake griddle...I use a small cheese knife like you put out with your dips and things and just bend it  a little and it works great...just run it around the edge and then under and turn.. Put all of your favorite stuff on it like honey, syrup or preserves...Enjoy  Paul    

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 4:42pm

Popovers
by Tom Neitzel

(from Joy of Cooking) 

Brush the popover pan with butter. 

Have all ingredients at room temperature. 

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. 

Beat until just smooth: 

1 cup milk 
1 tablespoon melted butter 
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour 
¼ teaspoon salt   
Add, one at a time, but do not over beat:   
2 beaten eggs 

The batter should be no heavier than whipping cream.  Fill the buttered baking cups two thirds to three fourths full.  Don't overload - too much batter will give a muffin like texture. 

Bake at once.  After 15 minutes, lower the heat without peeping, to 350 degrees and bake about 20 minutes longer.  To test for doneness, remove a popover to be sure the side walls are firm.  If not cooked long enough, the popovers will collapse.  You may want to insert a sharp paring knife gently into the other popovers to allow the steam to escape, after baking. 

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 12:51am

Basic muffin recipe by: Holly Rust      

Basic Muffin Batter

1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/3 C sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/2 C (1 stick) butter
1 C sour cream
1 large egg
1 t vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees (375 for convection)
Grease cast iron muffin cups  

Into a bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Melt butter and in a small bowl whisk together with sour cream, egg, and vanilla. Stir butter mixture (and additional ingredients, see note below) into flour mixture just until combined. Try not to overmix or muffins may become tough and not rise well. Divide the batter among 11-12 muffin cups (this batter is thick and will not run easily like other muffin batters) and bake in the middle of oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes on convection. Once removed from the oven use a knife to loosen and tip to one side then remove and place on cooling rack.  

The recipe (from the Food Network) goes on to say.
Becoming a muffin master is easy. You can flavor this basic muffin batter by adding such ingredients as: 1 chopped banana and 3/4 C semisweet chocolate chips; or 1 C toasted almonds, 3/4 C dried cranberries, and 1/4 t almond extract; or 1 C chopped drained canned pineapple and 1 C sweetened flaked coconut; or 1 C chopped dried apricots and 1 T poppy seeds.  

Marty has suggested heating the pan prior to adding the batter.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 4:04pm

GERMAN PANCAKES (DUTCH BABIES) BY: ALAN DYE
(use 2 #5 skillets, or 1 #8)  

Put a thin layer of oil in the bottom of the skillets (about  2 t per skillet)  

Put skillets in cold oven, and turn oven on to 450 degrees.  Skillets will heat with oven.  While oven heats:  

Sift 1/2 C flour and 1/2 t salt onto a small plate.  

In a bowl, whisk together:  

3 eggs, (at room temperature)  
1/2 C milk  

Add flour/salt mixture to milk/egg mixture.  Whisk until smooth.  

add 2 T melted butter to the batter.  Whisk until blended.  

(yields ~2 C of very liquid batter)  

When skillets/oven are heated, put 1/2 of batter in each #5 skillet.  Close oven, bake 15 minutes.  They look almost like a large pop-over and are delicious.  

Serve with butter/preserves/syrup, etc...  
[b][/b]

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 3:59pm

HUSHPUPPIES
BY: C. B. WILLIAMS

Hushpuppies like cornbread is basically a corn bread made into a ball and deep fried. Unlike corn bread southerners tend to play with different recipes. I use self rising meal, (yellow stone ground is great) and self rising flour, (1 C meal to 1/3 C flour) and 1 t baking powder to a cup, some chopped green onions, cayenne pepper, one egg, and just enough butter milk to make a thick paste. (finely chopped Vidalias and finely chopped jalapinas (or both) also make a very good hushpuppy) Thick is important to hold the shape. I use a teaspoon, dip up a spoonful, clean around the edges with your finger, and using the same finger and the spoon held just above the hot oil, rake the hushpuppy into the oil. Holding too high will result in a splash that can burn you. Close and the hushpuppy just slides into the oil. These will float in the oil and, if mixed right will turn over all by themselves. Nothing to worry about if they don't, just turn them when the bottom is brown. (if the first few don't turn over, try adding a little more baking powder) Like the catfish, the oil needs to be about 350. (for sure not under 320) French fries and or onion rings can follow the puppies.

Note: This recipe calls for self rising meal and flour, and the addition of the 1 t baking powder will make them turn over while cooking, as they should. As mentioned, if they don't, try adding a little more baking powder.      If your puppies are too thin they will have "tails" on them. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print