Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelpSearch WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BREADS, MUFFINS, ETC. (Read 13493 times)
C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: BREADS, MUFFINS, ETC.
Reply #15 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 7:21pm

Annadama Bread by: Jim McCleary

Anna Damn Her or Annadama bread

1/2 C water
1/4 C of cornmeal
2 T butter
1/2 C molasses
1 pkg. active dry yeast or 1Tbl. spoon
1/2 C warm water 110 deg f
3 C AP flour divided
1 t salt

Place half cup of water and cornmeal in a saucepan bring to the boil over medium heat, stir occasionally.  
Cook until it thickens remove from heat stir in butter and molasses let cool to luke warm.
In a small bowl dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water until creamy
In a large bowl combine the cornmeal mixture and the yeast mixture stir until incorporated.
Add 2 cups of the flour and salt mix well.  
Gradually add remaining flour until the dough comes together.  
Turn out to a lightly floured board or counter and kneed until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Lightly oil the mixing bowl {I use leaf lard} place the kneaded dough shaped into a ball in the bowl, turn to coat.
Cover and let rise in a warm spot until double in bulk.
Punch down turn out to the floured surface, a light kneed and final shape
Place in a 9x5 loaf pan lightly greased with the lard or oil.
Final rise until doubled in volume.
Place in a pre-heated  375deg oven about 30 t0 40min until top is golden brown
and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.  
Let cool before slicing if you can.

This bread goes great with soups, chowders, chili, beans and so on.
Also makes for some great toast.  
Enjoy, Jim

Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #16 - May 19th, 2009 at 7:16pm

BEER BREAD by: Greg Lappe

Ingredients

·      3-1/3 cups bread flour  
·      1 teaspoon salt  
·      1 tablespoon of  sugar  
·      1 (12 ounce) can of dark beer at room temperature  
·      1 tablespoon of active dry yeast  
·      1 tablespoon of olive oil

If you want to make a fake sourdough add 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar to the mix.

Directions

Mix flour and salt in a mixing bowl.  

Pour about 1/3 of the beer in a separate small bowl with the yeast and sugar.  Mix until the sugar and yeast is dissolved and let stand about ten minutes until the mixture foams.

Pour the small bowl of the yeast mixture, the remaining beer, and the olive oil in the mixing bowl with the flower and mix with a dough hook until combined into a soft smooth sticky dough.  
(You will need to flour your hands or it will stick to you.)

Place the dough in a well-oiled bowl and cover with saran wrap. Place the bowl in a warm place to rise until doubled. Once the dough is doubled in size punch it down and lightly knead.

Place the dough in whatever baking pan that you prefer and place it in a warm oven to rise.

Once the dough has risen again bake at 375 for about 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.

If you want a crusty outside to the loaf just place a sheet pan on the lower rack and toss a few ice cubes on it a couple of times during the baking process.

This recipe is perfect for a 3qt Dutch oven.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #17 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 2:57pm

CINNAMON SWIRL BREAD by: Greg Stahl

Sourdough Cinnamon Swirl Bread    

Well, I've experimented, failed, succeeded and then tweaked this recipe until I'm so happy to share it with you.  It turns out so good, that you might as well just make another loaf after you have the first one done, as you will need it about 30 minutes after the first one is out of the oven.

Dough Ingredients
2 cups of active, bubbly sourdough starter  
1 tsp diastatic malt powder (KAF)
1 tsp whole grain improver (KAF)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract (I use my homemade, so I use half this amount as mine is so strong)
1/8 cup of KAF Baker's special dry milk + 1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup softened Omega-3 Smart Balance buttery sticks (1/2 stick)
1/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes
2 tsp SAF red instant yeast (KAF)

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour (KAF)
1 3/4 cups KAF bread flour

Filling Ingredients
3/4 cup of KAF Baker's cinnamon filling + 3 TBSP water
1/4 cup softened Omega-3 Smart Balance buttery sticks (1/2 stick)

KAF products can be purchased online at this SITE.  

Directions:
DOUGH
Mix all (but the two last ingredients, the flour) the ingredients together in a bread mixer bowl until well blended.  Start to add the flour with your mixing flat beater in 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup amounts in the mixer bowl until you have about 1 cup of flour remaining.  Remove the flat beater and replace it with the dough hook.  Add the rest of the flour and let the dough hook knead the mixture for about 6 minutes.

Take another bowl and oil it well with olive oil.  Place the dough into the bowl and flip the dough around until it is well coated with oil.  Place Saran wrap on the top and place in a proofing oven at about 100 F until the dough almost doubles in volume.  If you don't have a proofing oven, just let it sit covered at room temperature for about 2 hours or until it about doubles in volume.

Assembly and filling
After the volume has increased, you are going to roll the dough to a9x18 inch rectangle.  Oil the area (NOT FLOUR!!) and roll out the dough.  Using your hands smear the butter onto the dough, except 1/2 inch of the 9 inch side of the rolled out dough (so you can seal the loaf).  Using your buttery hands, add the filling in the same manner and get an even filling amount on the entire loaf.  Starting at the small end that has the filling to the edge, roll up the loaf as tight as possible until you get to the unfilled end and seal the loaf.  Spray your loaf pan with PAM, add the rolled up loaf and spray the top with PAM or oil, place the SARAN that you used before on the top and let the loaf rise until about 1 inch above the top of your loaf pan.

Preheat the oven to 350F and bake for 30 - 40 min (until internal temp is 190F).  Tent with aluminum foil if the top starts to get too brown.  I usually tent the loaf after 30-35 min into the bake cycle.  Remove from oven and loaf pan and place on a wire rack for at least 30 min and then enjoy.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #18 - May 2nd, 2011 at 3:32pm

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS by: Jodi Nielson

1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (or more) fresh blueberries

Combine sugar, butter, eggs, milk and vanilla.  Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.  Stir wet mixture into the flour mixture until batter is smooth.  Fold in blueberries. 

Topping:  1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 2-3 teaspoons butter--cut butter into dry mixture and sprinkle on top before baking. 

Bake at 375 degrees (I used 350 degrees for the cast iron) 20-25 minutes.

NOTE:  You can add mashed banana, other berries, any fruit really.  I also sometimes toss in mini chocolate chips, add a bit of cinnamon.  Don't forget to heat the iron before adding the batter and grease well or spray with PAM.  Yum!

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #19 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 3:38pm

IRISH SCONES by: Ken Davis
male

Ingredients:

• 3 cups all purpose flour
• ½ cup sugar
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 1¼ cups raisin (substitute blueberries, dried currents or dried cranberries)
• 2 tbsp caraway seeds (optional but not recommended with berries)
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1½ cups buttermilk
• 2 tbsp Crisco shortening (melted but not too hot)

Directions:

• Preheat oven to 325°
• Generously grease a 10” skillet or Dutch oven
• Sift all dry ingredients together
• Add eggs, milk and shortening and mix/fold together then add raisins/berries
• Bake at 325° for one hour

Note:

You can also fill the wedges of an 8” cornbread pan ½ full and put the rest of the batter in an 8” DO for the one hour time. The cornbread pan bakes in 45 minutes.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #20 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 3:51pm

IRISH SODA BREAD by: Chuck Fredrickson

Traditional Irish Soda Bread

A true Irish Soda bread has four ingredients. This loaf was made up of: 4c cake flour, 1t baking soda, 1t salt and 14oz butter milk

Mix all the ingredients well, do not over mix. It will be a sticky dough that you do not knead. Form into a cabbage sized ball and gently flour the exterior. Place into a greased and floured dutch oven and cross score the top. Place lid on dutch oven and bake at 425F for about 30min, then uncover and continue about another 15 0r 20min.

There are many recipes that call for all sorts of things to be added. The tradition is none of this, sort of like a true southern cornbread... keep it simply true.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print