Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelpSearch WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BREADS, MUFFINS, ETC. (Read 21967 times)
C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: BREADS, MUFFINS, ETC.
Reply #20 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 3:51pm

IRISH SODA BREAD by: Chuck Fredrickson

Traditional Irish Soda Bread

A true Irish Soda bread has four ingredients. This loaf was made up of: 4c cake flour, 1t baking soda, 1t salt and 14oz butter milk

Mix all the ingredients well, do not over mix. It will be a sticky dough that you do not knead. Form into a cabbage sized ball and gently flour the exterior. Place into a greased and floured dutch oven and cross score the top. Place lid on dutch oven and bake at 425F for about 30min, then uncover and continue about another 15 0r 20min.

There are many recipes that call for all sorts of things to be added. The tradition is none of this, sort of like a true southern cornbread... keep it simply true.

Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #21 - Nov 13th, 2015 at 2:58pm

No Knead Bread by: Mark Smith

No knead Crusty Bread with raisins and cinnamon
Yesterday at 1:06pm Mark & Quote Quote Modify Remove
I have been playing with my new Lodge Porcelain Dutch. I came across a recipe for no knead bread. Of course I couldn't leave it alone. So here what I did

Crusty Bread with raisins and cinnamon
3 cups bread flour or 2 cups bread flour and 1 cup whole wheat.
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup hemp fruit
1 1/2 cups water

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast.  Add water and mix until a shaggy mixture forms.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 - 18 hours.  Overnight works great.  Heat oven to 450 degrees.  When the oven has reached 450 degrees place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball.  Cover with plastic wrap and tea towel let set while the pot is heating.  Remove hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough.  Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes.  Remove bread from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.

I also cut a piece of parchment paper and place it under the dough ball lets me form with less flour and I use the paper to lift the dough into the dutch oven. you can leave the parchment paper in the dutch oven while baking and it takes it easy to lift the bread out when done and with clean up.

IMG_1092.jpg (126 KB | 0 )

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #22 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 2:57pm

HERBED SKILLET BREAD by: Janis Bergins

Herbed skillet Flat Bread

1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm water
1 package dry yeast
3 to 3 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary plus fresh rosemary sprigs
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
cup olive oil
4 cloves of garlic (I use about twice that many)
In a bowl dissolve the sugar in cup warm water and sprinkle yeast on top, set it aside and wait for it to foam.
I use a Kitchen Aid mixer. Place 3 cups flour, the chopped rosemary and 2 teaspoons of the salt plus teaspoon of pepper. Mix to combine dry ingredients.
Stir cup olive oil into yeast and add remaining water together.
Turn mixer on and slowly add liquid ingredients. When thoroughly mixed switch to bread hook and continue mixing.
Place in covered bowl (oil the inside) for 1 hour in warm place, push down and leave for another hour.
Take a cast iron skillet, I use one that is about 12 in diameter, preheat in 400 degree oven.
Place dough into skillet and score top of bread with a sharp knife in a crisscross pattern.
Scatter garlic and rosemary sprigs over top, and the rest of the coarse salt and teaspoon black pepper.
Drizzle with remaining olive oil.
Bake for 30 minutes or until it has a hollow tone when tapped.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #23 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 10:42pm

Snickerdoodle Bread by: Amanda and Morgan Stahl

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: one loaf

Ingredients:
1 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon + tablespoon cinnamon, keep separate
cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
cup Greek yogurt
cup add-ins (nuts, raisins, dried berries, butterscotch or cinnamon chips)
1 teaspoon brown sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour one 95″ loaf pan
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and one teaspoon of cinnamon together in a medium bowl.
3. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy in a large bowl by hand or using an electric mixer. This should take about 5 minutes.
4. Thoroughly mix one egg in at a time.
5. Mix in vanilla and Greek yogurt.
6. Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
7. Fold in desired additions.
8. Pour the batter into the greased pan until its two-thirds of the way full. Feel free to bake extra batter into muffins.
9. Combine brown sugar and 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon in a small dish. Top bread evenly with mixture.
10. Bake 40-45 minutes, until the bread has lightly browned and a toothpick can be cleanly inserted. Cool and enjoy at room temperature.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print