Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BREADS, MUFFINS, ETC. (Read 32066 times)
C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: BREADS, MUFFINS, ETC.
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 3:55pm

REAL SOUTHERN CORNBREAD
BY: C. B. WILLIAMS

I see a question ever so often about cornbread. Cornbread originated in the South and I'm about as Southern as you can get. First, we are not building computers here, we don't get better each year with improvements. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Real southern cornbread has 4 ingredients, corn meal, egg, buttermilk, and bacon drippings. Corn meal comes either, plain or self rising, with 1 1/2 cups  of plain you have to add 1/2 t baking soda, 1 t baking powder, 1 1/2 t salt  to make it "self rising." (t=teaspoon) I prefer stone ground meal, and yellow is a plus.

Note: Cornbread is made with self-rising corn meal. If you have "plain" corn-meal, you must add the soda, baking powder, and salt to make it self-rising. If you have self-rising, those ingredients are already in it.

The following amounts are about right for a #5 or #6 skillet.

Recipe: 1 to 1 1/4 cup self rising meal---1 egg slightly beaten---enough buttermilk to make a mixture that just reaches the "pourable" stage---mix well---Heat a skillet with 1 T bacon drippings melted in it until hot and pour most of the hot drippings in the mixture and mix again, then pour into the hot skillet and put in oven at 425/450. When you see the edges browning (about 10/12 min.) turn the oven to broil but leaving the temp. setting as is. (You are trying to get the top and bottom about the same color of brown) When done, turn out onto a rack to cool.

(NOTE: If you have a convection oven it will probably brown on top without using broil) Most people like the depth of pour fairly thin for a crustier finished product. Many shapes of muffin pans work well for the same reason, and look good also.
 In the past 20 years or so, many things have been added to cornbread, sweet milk, butter, sugar, flour, etc. THESE ARE NOT ORIGINAL. We don't grow wheat here so flour is not used. The only extra ever added was "cracklins", a by-product from making lard, which is fried skin and fat, and used in the first few months after 'hog killin'. Now available in southern groceries throughout the year, they are simply added to the batter.
 The butter is sometimes put on hot cornbread after it has cooked. Originally the old stoves didn't have "broil" so the cornbread was turned in order to brown evenly. I have seen my grandmother, many years ago, do this on a wood stove.
 Try this crumbled up in a glass , a little salt, with sweet milk added and you will be having a true Southern delicacy.  
 A SECOND THOUGHT: I did not write this to disagree with other cornbread recipes. I to, have added things to make "mexican" cornbread, and cheese, and other things. I only wanted to say what is original to the South, and I think, still the best. Sugar? no way,  this is not dessert but a staple to be eaten with almost everything.  
  One last note: If you are in the grocery and see something called corn meal mix or cornbread mix, DON'T BUY IT, It has all sorts of things in it that don't belong in cornbread---If you must get it at the grocery and not a grist mill, buy cornmeal, and self rising is easier.

Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 2:30pm

APPLE DUTCH BABY BY MARTY ZIELKE

6 eggs  
1 1/2 C of milk  
1 C of flour  
1/4 C of white sugar  
1 T vanilla  
1/4 T cinnamon  
1/2 C of butter or margarine  

2-3 apples, peeled and sliced thinly  
1/4 C of brown sugar  

Preheat oven to 425*   Beat together eggs, milk, flour, white sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in large mixing bowl.  Melt the butter in a #10 or larger cast iron pan by putting the butter into the pan, and putting the pan in the oven.  Remove pan from oven after butter melts, and layer the bottom of the pan with the apple slices and return to oven until the butter sizzles.....do not brown the apples.  Remove the pan from the oven, and pour the batter over the apple slices.  Sprinkle the brown sugar over the batter.  Return to oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until puffed and brown.  delicious!  Leftovers can be stored in the fridge.  It is also good cold.  

**** If you don't have a large cast iron frying pan, you can use a 9" X 13" pan. ****  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 2:25pm

POPOVERS BY PHIL FOREMAN      

If you have never tried them; do them for breakfast one day with a pan full of scrambled eggs.  Cover them with butter and honey and you just won't believe...., As a matter of fact, better make two pans!    
Ingredients:  
2 Eggs  
1/4 C  melted butter  
1 C Milk  
1 t Salt  
1 C Flour  

(makes 10 to 12)  

Directions:  

Preheat an oven to 450. Grease a popover pan and pre-heat it in the oven.  
Combine the flour and salt.  
Beat the eggs quickly with a wire whisk until lemon colored and they begin to thicken.  
Slowly add the milk while still beating.  
Add the  flour and salt  and continue beating until incorporated and smooth.    
Mix in  the melted butter and combine thoroughly.  
Pour the batter into the hot "Popover pan" and bake at 450 degrees for 25 minutes.  
Reduce the heat to 350 and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes.  
Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for a couple minutes before carefully removing the pop overs.  
Add butter and honey or split and fill with your favorites.  
These may be treated a lot like cream puffs!  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
BREADS, MUFFINS, ETC.
Oct 13th, 2004 at 1:36pm

FRESH BAKED 2-24 HOUR BREAD BY C. B. WILLIAMS from: Frank Parke

Ingredients:

4 1/2 to 5 1/2 cups unsifted all purpose flour
1 T sugar
1 t salt
1 T softened butter
2 pkgs. active dry yeast Dissolved in 1 3/4 Cups 120-130 deg. water
1 egg white
cooking oil
cornmeal

Instructions:
  In a large bowl mix 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, and salt. Add softened butter. --Gradually add water/yeast mixture, beat 2 min. at medium speed with mixer scraping bowl occasionally.-- Add 3/4 cup flour, beat at high speed 2 min. scraping occasionally. Stir in enough flour to make a stiff dough.--Turn out on a floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 min. Place in a greased bowl (vegetable oil) and rotate once and cover with plastic wrap and a then a towel. Let rest 20 min.-- Divide dough in half. Roll each half into an oblong shape (10" X 15" +-). Begin at the long side and roll up tightly, pinch the seam and ends to seal. There will be a taper at each end. --- Place in a greased baking sheet which has been sprinkled with the corn meal. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and place in Ref. for 2 to 24 hours.---When ready to bake, remove from Ref. uncover and let stand at room temp. for 10-15 min.---Make several diagonal slashes on top of the loaves with a sharp knife. Bake at 425 deg. for 20 min. Remove from oven and brush with egg white beaten with 1 T water. Return to oven and bake 5-10 min. longer till golden brown.
  Note: (1) I have done this with no ref. time and it still works. (2) I also make it into 4 round loaves sometimes which I usually give a melted butter wash in lieu of the egg wash. (3) This will also make 16 rolls.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print