Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BREAKFAST (Read 13431 times)
C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
BREAKFAST
Oct 13th, 2004 at 1:35pm

PLETTS BY: PAUL BEER      

Here is the recipe for making those Swedish pancakes on those funny pans you see trading on ebay...they are not for eggs or some of the other weird things people say they may be for...but they do make the best little dollar pancakes...and they are addictive....and they ain't for low stuff diets...

3 eggs
2 C milk
3/4 C flour
3 T sugar
3 T melted butter

Beat eggs, add all other ingredients except butter. Add melted butter after all ingredients are well blended.
Spoon small amount in each cup on the pan and cook like a pancake turning over when they bubble on top...Use medium heat on the pan just like you would on any pancake griddle...I use a small cheese knife like you put out with your dips and things and just bend it  a little and it works great...just run it around the edge and then under and turn.. Put all of your favorite stuff on it like honey, syrup or preserves...Enjoy  Paul  

Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: BREAKFAST
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2004 at 12:41pm

NON-STICK WAFFLES
BY: GREG STAHL
Waffle Recipe  

2 eggs  
1 3/4 C milk  
1/2 C butter, melted  
2 C flour  
4 t baking powder  
1 T sugar  
1/2 t salt  

Heat your waffle iron.  I use a #18 Griswold Heart and Star on a low base on an electric stove.  It will be important for you to experiment with the temperature settings on your stove, as I sure did until I found the right temperature setting.  Beat eggs, add sugar, then salt.  Beat in flour with milk and then add the butter(melted first).  When the waffle iron is hot, then add the baking powder, as this will allow the baking powder to work and make fluffy waffles.  Spray the top and bottom of the iron with PAM to inhibit sticking.  Add enough batter to the center of your iron to make about 1/2 to 3/4 of it filled and then close the waffle iron.  Cook on one side for about 2 minutes, the flip the iron over for about 2 minutes.  If you waffles stick, then the iron is not hot enough or it is not seasoned enough.  Experiment, it will pay off!!

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 2:42pm

GOLDEN ROD EGGS by: Jerry Daschofsky

Ok, this isn't fancy or spectacular (well it's spectacular to me).  This is a family tradition that goes back at least 100 years.  And since it's always been made in a cast iron pan, I HAD to add it since Easter is tomorrow.

Basically, it's sausage gravy, but you substitute the sausage with chopped up hard boiled eggs.  

First, boil the eggs of course.  What we would do was take the eggs we found from the Easter bunny and give so many each from our baskets to my Dad to make (and my Grandpa made it before him, and his Dad before him, etc).  

Then bake the biscuits (you can do toast if you want).

Then, simple white gravy.  Start by making tossing in some real butter cubes (you can use margarine).  Then put in about a cup of flower.  Sorry, I do this by touch, not measure.  So make it the way you would measurement wise.  Once you have the mix read, slowly start adding in the half and half (or you can use milk or real cream depending on how rich you want it to taste).  Keep adding until you get the consistency you want (I like mine somewhat thick).  

Add salt and pepper to taste.  With standard sausage gravy I add onions, but I omit it for this.  Crack and peel the eggs and cut them up pretty coarse.  Don't need to be chopped up into tiny pieces.  Add as many eggs you want into it (I like a lot).  The goldenrod comes from the yokes slowly bleaching into the gravy and turning it a goldenrod color.  Spoon onto your biscuits and serve.  

I also like to make hash browns on the side to toss the gravy on as well.

Note from C. B. : One variation of this that is popular is to save half the egg yolks, grind fine and use as a garnish.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 1:35pm

BUTTERMILK PANCAKES by: Becky Leach

Buttermilk Pancakes

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 3 tablespoons white sugar
* 3 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 3 cups buttermilk
* 1/2 cup milk
* 3 eggs
* 1/3 cup butter, melted

1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and
salt. In a separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, milk, eggs and melted
butter. Keep the two mixtures separate until you are ready to cook.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. You can
flick water across the surface and if it beads up and sizzles, it's ready!
3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, using a wooden spoon or fork to
blend. Stir until it's just blended together. Do not over stir! Pour or scoop
the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/2 cup for each pancake. Brown
on both sides and serve hot.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 2:52pm

Potato pancakes by: Charlee Turner

We had these for lunch today...love em!

2 C leftover mashed potatoes
2 t onion  minced
1 clove minced garlic
1/3 C self rising flour
1 egg
1 T parsley  
6 strips bacon fried and crumbled

Mix all ingredients.  In your favorite cast iron skillet, heat bacon grease (or olive oil works too) scoop some potato mixture into the pan and spread to make about a 3-4 inch patty (about 1/4 inch thick).   Brown both sides, top with a dollop of sour cream and enjoy!  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 8:30am

HOMEMADE BISCUITS by: Comita Williams

First a stainless steel bowl, (it is cool) then about 2 cups of self rising flour, then about 2 or 3 T Crisco, (this is kept in a pantry and at least as cool as the inside air, ie. not over the oven) then mix with a tablespoon only until lumpy (no hands because they are warm and you want the Crisco to remain cool) ---Now mix in buttermilk (not the 0% fat) until you have a stiff mix. Dump out onto a floured board and roll over with the hands (do not kneed). Pinch off portions and make into biscuit shapes (note: the edges are not cut as if a cutter did this) and put into a pan and into oven at 450. Locate these in your oven so that the top gets done about the same time as the bottom. Ovens vary greatly in temp. and evenness of temp. As a rule convection and self cleaning ovens because of their better insulation have more even temp. however all ovens have a personality so adjust to your oven. One last note, we see advertising on biscuits saying "light and fluffy" , these are NOT light and fluffy, they are cat heads. This is not an exact recipe,  practice and you will have something special. I wish I could be more exacting, but this is close as I can do it. C B

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2011 at 4:49pm

CRISPY RICE OMELETTE by: Jeff Johnson

Crispy Rice Omelette
Jan 8th, 2011, 4:21pm     We just had this for breakfast today.  It's sort of Asian, and tastes very nice whether made using snow peas or asparagus (plus home-raised eggs).

Crispy Rice Omelette

Serving Size  : 5-6      
Categories    : Breakfast                       Chinese
              Eggs                            Healthy And Hearty
              Rice                            Vegetables
              Vegetarian

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  2        tablespoons  vegetable oil (with a non stick pan you
                      don't need it)
  1 1/2           cups  cooked, cold, white rice (I used brown and
                      it was excellent)
  4                     scallions or green onion -- sliced - keep white slices separate from green slices
  2                     hot red or green chilies -- seeded and silvered
  1                cup  snow peas (I used asparagus, cut on
                      diagonal into 1/2 inch pieces) -- julienned
  1                cup  bean sprouts -- rinsed & drained
  1         tablespoon  soy sauce -- Japanese style, NOT dark Chinese molasses-containing sauce
                      some type of hot sauce if you don't use
                      hot chilies (1 tsp Huy Fong Sriracha
                      sauce)
  6               eggs, scrambled  Can use 8 eggs and take 2 yolks out

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  If using #8 cast iron skillet, preheat skillet in oven.

Add the oil & cold rice to a 10 inch skillet and stir over med/high heat until crispy -  about 5 mins.

Add the snow peas or asparagus, white parts of sliced onions, and chilies - cook for 3 mins.   
Stir to keep the rice from burning.  NOTE:  Asparagus may only need 2 minutes to keep it from getting too mushy.

Add the bean sprouts and cook 1 min. longer.

Stir the soy sauce and spicy sauce (if using) into the eggs.
Pour evenly over rice mixture.

Evenly sprinkle sliced green part of onions over mixture.  Cover skillet, reduce heat to low and cook, undisturbed 5 mins.   

Place the skillet in the oven and cook uncovered about 5-10 mins, until eggs are set on top.  May need to broil a couple minutes to fully set up egg mixture & lightly brown top surface.

Slide out of skillet onto a cutting board.
Cut into wedges.  May not need to add any extra salt - soy sauce adds some by itself.  Top with salsa, soy sauce, or spicy Asian sauce such as San-J's Szechuan or Huy Fong's Sriracha.  Can also drizzle with sesame oil for added flavor.

Enjoy!

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 7:20pm

YOGURT PANCAKES by: Greg Stahl

1 c 2% milk
3/4 c 2% vanilla yogurt
2 eggs
4 TBL melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 c flour
3 TBL sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1. whisk milk, yogurt, eggs, butter and vanilla together.

2.stir in flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt until just incorporated.

3. use cast iron griddle to make your pancakes.

These are the fluffiest pancakes I have ever made.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print