Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
DESSERTS, CAKES, PIES, and SWEETS (Read 26876 times)
C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
DESSERTS, CAKES, PIES, and SWEETS
Oct 13th, 2004 at 1:34pm

AEBLESKIVERS

3 eggs, separated
2 T sugar
1/2 t salt
2 C buttermilk
2 C flour
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder

----Preparation--(1) beat egg yolks until light (2) add sugar, salt and buttermilk, mix well--(3) sift flour, soda and baking powder, add to the egg mixture--(4) beat egg whites until stiff--(5) fold into batter--(6) place a small amount of shortening in each cup of a hot aebleskiver pan, and 2/3 full with batter--(7) if desired, you can place a small amount of apple sauce, jam or fruit filling in the center--(8) add small amount of batter over the filling or a small piece of apple or other fruit can be worked into the batter--(9) cook over medium heat until bubbly, turn carefully with spoon or fork and cook the other side-(10) when you take the aebleskiver out of the pan, sprinkle with powdered sugar--(11) serve warm ---- Comments start turning early to form into a ball; a knitting needle or bamboo skewer can be used to turn. The skewer can also be used to test for doneness if it comes out clean.

Ableskivers #2 by: C. B. Williams
I make these much simpler than the above recipe.

1 1/2 C self rising flour
1 egg
1 T sugar
pinch salt
1 t baking powder
Butter milk, about 1 C (enough to make a thin batter)
Heat  ableskiver pan and put about 1/4 t butter in each cup, and fill each cup almost full with batter. When batter starts to form bubbles and using a bamboo skewer (or similar tool)  turn the 'skivers' about half way, as they cook more finish the turn.

Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: DESSERTS, CAKES, PIES, ETC.
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 5:21pm

GRANNY'S UPSIDE DOWN CAKE cake by: Joseph Doucet
Here's one of my Grandmothers recipe:  

Topping

1 stick of butter  
1 C of brown sugar  
1 can of sliced pineapples    
1 C of pecan halves    
maraschino cherries    

Cake mix

1/2 C of butter    
1 C of sugar      
2 eggs beaten      
1 teaspoon of vanilla    
2 C of cake flour    
3 t of baking powder  
1/2 t of salt            
3/4 C of the juice from the pineapples    

Put a stick of butter in a #9 skillet and stick in the oven to heat up and melt butter when this is done pat the brown sugar over melted butter then put the pecan halves in and then place the pineapple slices in the skillet add the cherries then to make cake batter you cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy add eggs and vanilla  then sift together dry ingredients add pineapple juice and dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture pour batter into skillet and spread evenly bake at 350 for 55 minutes or until done let cool for 5 or 10 minutes before inverting it to a plate let cool 5 more minutes and dig in.    

If you don't like cooking from scratch you can just use a yellow cake mix from the box and where it calls for water just use the same amount of pineapple juice instead of water.   Boy did this get jumbled up  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2005 at 2:20pm

Scandinavian Dessert Waffles by: TOM NEITZEL      

This is really a dessert waffle.  It is delicate, crisp and wonderful warm with lingonberry jam.  This is mainly heavy cream and butter held together with a little flour.  The waffle iron to use has 5 small heart shapes.

Several names for this include:

Flötevafler (Norwegian)
Frasvåfflor (Swedish)
Flødevafler (Danish)
Rapeat vvohvelit (Finnish)

1 3/4 C heavy cream
1 1/2 C cake flour
1/2 C ice water
1 T sugar
1/2 t salt
3 T melted butter

Beat the cream until stiff.  Sift in flour, add ice water, sugar and salt.  Stir until well blended.  Pour in melted butter.

Heat waffle iron.  Brush generously with butter.  Pour in batter by tablespoonfuls and bake until golden brown.  Place waffles on rack to keep crisp.  Serve immediately

Makes about 8 - 5 section waffles.  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 12:21pm

Sugar cones by: Marty Zielke

1/2 C brown sugar
2 T vegetable oil
1 C flour
1/3 C water
1 T vinilla

In a medium bowl, mix together sugar and oil.  Alternately add flour and water to sugar mixture.  Stir in vanilla.  It will be a thick batter, but sometimes I have to thin it out a bit.  Otherwise the cones are too thick.  You'll get that knack of it after you cook a couple cones.  If the cones seem too thick, then thin the batter out and cook a little less.

Warm the krumkake iron on stove and using a pastry brush, give each half of the iron a coating of Crisco or substitute.  Put one tablespoon of batter on the iron and close.....sometimes you have to spread it around a bit. Just play with it.  Cook over medium heat, turning once, for 2-3 minutes.  Remove from iron, and immediately form into cone.  These get hard very quickly.  I have a wooden cone that I use to wrap the krumkake around, but it's a pain and I can get a smaller opening at the bottom, doing it by hand.  These are VERY hot, so I put work gloves on.....obviously ones that have been washed.  

These never lasted long around my house.  Usually the kids ate them before I was able to get the ice cream out of the freezer.  I put a little marshmallow in the bottom, to keep the ice cream from dripping out.  Now my kids are grown and I must admit, I miss making these for them.    

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 12:27pm

LEMON KRUMKAKE BY: MARTY ZIELKE

1/2 C of sugar
3 eggs, well beaten
1/2 C of butter or margarine, melted
1/2 C of flour
1 t lemon extract

Add the sugar to the beaten eggs....mix well.  Add the melted butter to the mixture, stirring well.  Then beat in the flour and lemon extract.  You can also use other extracts of your choice, such as almond or vanilla.  Makes about 30.  

Preheat the krumkake iron and with a pastry brush, give each paddle a light coating of Crisco.  After iron has warmed up, put about a tsp. or so of batter in the iron.  Close the iron and squeeze the handles together until the batter just starts to ooze out the sides.  Because the iron is already hot, you only want the bottom side to cook a few seconds before you flip the iron.  Cook side 2 for about 30 seconds and then roll back to the first side for a few more seconds.  Remove from iron and roll immediately or leave flat.  I had these in Minnesota years ago, that were rolled and filled with real whipped cream.  Yummy.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 11:36am

APPLE-CIDER PIE by: Michelle Hess.

Crust: Use your favorite recipe or, buy one... either works!

Filling:  
2 C apple cider  
1/3 C sugar  
3 T cornstarch  
2 T fresh lemon juice  
2 t vanilla extract  
1 1/4 t pumpkin-pie spice  
7 Braeburn apples, peeled and quartered (about 3 pounds)  
Cooking spray  
1 large egg, lightly beaten  
1 T water  
1 T sugar  

To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 1/3 cup flour and ice water, stirring with a whisk until well-blended. Combine 1 2/3 cups flour and salt in a bowl; cut in margarine and shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ice water mixture; toss with a fork until moist. Divide dough in half. Gently press each half of mixture into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap, and cover with additional plastic wrap. Roll one half of dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle, and chill. Roll other half of dough, still covered, into an 11-inch circle; chill.
To prepare filling, bring cider to a boil in a large, heavy saucepan over high heat. Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 20 minutes). Cool completely.

Preheat oven to 450°.

Combine cooled cider, 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla, and pie spice in a large bowl. Cut each apple quarter crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Stir apple slices into cider mixture.

Remove 1 sheet of plastic wrap from the 12-inch circle; fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray, allowing dough to extend over edge of plate. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap. Spoon apple mixture into crust, and brush edges of crust lightly with water. Remove 1 sheet of plastic wrap from the 11-inch circle, and place on top of apple mixture. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap. Press edges of dough together; fold edges under, and flute. Cut 6 (1-inch) slits into top of pastry using a sharp knife. Combine egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush top and edges of pie with egg mixture, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Place pie on a baking sheet, and bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove pie from oven), and bake an additional 45 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 12:52pm

MONKS BY: JOHN SPRUCEHILL

This is a traditional recipe in Norway using a munk pan.
You need:
500 grams wheat flour (white)
100 grams sugar
2 teaspoons cardamom
125 grams butter (melted)
0.4 litre milk
50 grams yeast
125 grams raisins
Make an ordinary yeast dough. Put in the raisins. Let the dough rise until it doubles size. Use butter in the iron, then have one tablespoonful dough in each hole, turn the munks carefully using a wooden toothpick. Use low heat. The munks are light brown when finished.
The recipe is from the book "Grain and bakery traditions in Norway"

( Please note, the above amounts are by weight in grams, a link to a conversion table is below.)
http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/tools.measures/Measures.cfm

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 1:53pm

OATMEAL BANANA BREAD BY: Greg Lappe
Wifey’s To Die For Oatmeal Banana Bread

1 C packed brown sugar
7 T vegetable oil
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
1 1/3 C mashed ripe banana (about 2 large)
1 C regular oats
½ C fat free or 1% milk
2 C flour
1 T baking powder
½ t baking soda
½ t salt
½ t ground cinnamon

Cooking spray

Preheat over to 350 degrees.  Place cast iron pan in oven while preheating.

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.  Beat well at medium speed of mixer.  In a separate bowl, combine the banana, oats and milk.  Add to sugar mixture in first bowl, beating well.  Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon to mixture, beat just until moist.

Remove cast iron pan from the oven.  Spray with cooking spray.

Spoon into heated loaf pan (about ¾ high in the pan).
Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 – 55 minutes.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 2:58pm

Coconut Pie
by:    C. B. Williams
(VERY EASY)        

1/2 stick butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 T all-purpose flour
1 C sugar
1 (3 1/2–ounce) can shredded sweetened coconut (or 1 cup)
1 C milk (must be 2% or more--ie. no skim milk)
pinch of salt (optional, but it adds a little flavor)
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine melted butter, eggs, flour, sugar, coconut, salt, and milk. Pour into pie shell. Bake until firm, about 45 to 60 minutes.  
Note #1: About half way through cooking, sprinkle some coconut on top of the pie, and this will brown giving your pie a very nice appearance.
Note #2: I buy the shredded coconut in 7 oz. cans, or 16 oz. bags, and the pie shells come in pairs. Therefore I cook 2 pies, giving one away.
Note #3: The hot pie will seem to be a bit too thin but will firm up after cooling.
Note #4: Depending on your oven, you might need to turn it to broil for a few minutes at the end to give the top a little browning. But, watch this, it will be not brown enough 1 min. and burned the next.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 1:44pm

TOMATO PIE by: Darrel Jones

TOMATO PIE

INGREDIENT’S:

1-9” pie crust, pricked and baked for 5 minutes @ 375
1- big tomato skinned and thin sliced
1/2 large sweet onion thin sliced (about 3 or 4 slices)
3/4 - C mayo
4 oz sharp cheddar grated
4 oz monterey jack grated
fresh chopped basil ( about 1 T)
salt & pepper ( about 1/4 t each)

THE REST OF THE STORY

( the filling) Cover bottom of crust with layer of onion, top with layer of sliced tomato, top with layer of basil and salt & pepper.

( the topping) Combine grated cheese’s and mayo. Spread mixture thickly over top and press down.

Bake at 350 until bubbles (about 30 min)

Let cool before cutting. Garnish with fresh basil leaf in center.

Note from C. B. Williams: This perhaps should be called a tomato casserole, however using the pie shell I suppose "tomato pie"  works fine. I know this sounds unusual but it is worth a try.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #10 - May 18th, 2007 at 10:53am

Carrot Cake by: Charles Cowdrick

GRANDMA'S CARROT CAKE

4 eggs
2 C sugar
1 1/4 C coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
2 C all-purpose flour
2 t baking powder
2 t baking soda
2 t ground cinnamon
4 C grated carrots
2/3 C chopped pecans
1/2 to 1 C raisins

ICING
1/2 C (1 stick) butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 pound powdered sugar
1 t vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cream together eggs and sugar until blended.  Add oil and mix well. Combine flour baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon, then add to the egg mixture and mix well. Fold in carrots, nuts, and raisins. Pour batter into a Bundt pan (or 9-by-13-inch pan) and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.

To make icing, cream ingredients together until blended. Spread onto cooled cake.
Serves 8-10

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #11 - Dec 23rd, 2007 at 6:49pm

Pecan pie by: C. B. Williams
(This recipe was given to me by my neighbor Dorothy Robinson)

1- 9" pie shell
1-C sugar
1/4 C melted butter
1/2 C light Karo
3 eggs beaten
1/2 t vanilla extract
1-C coarse chopped pecans (decorate with pecan halves)
Note the toasting of the pecan halves. Important.
mix: sugar,Karo, butter, vanilla, chopped pecans, add beaten eggs, mix. Pour into pie shell. Add pecan halves.

Bake 375 deg. 40 to 45 min. until pecans brown. (check at 35 minutes , ovens vary)

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #12 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 3:30pm

PEANUT BRITTLE
by: COMITA WILLIAMS

Note: Get ready to get busy when you add the baking soda at the end. The volume really increases in a hurry. This is what makes the brittle easy to eat, not like the stuff bought in stores. Pecans, cashews, or almonds can be an interesting substitute for the peanuts. This recipe was given to us by a friend, Phillis Skipper. It is the best peanut brittle I have ever eaten, not hard at all because of the baking soda.

Ingredients:
2 C sugar  
1 C light Karo  
1 C water  
2 T butter  
1 lb. raw red skin peanuts  
2 T baking soda
pinch of salt

Combine sugar, Karo, and water. Cook and stir till Hard crack stage (300 F) on a candy thermometer, remove thermometer, add butter and the peanuts, stir and cook until peanuts look and smell roasted. Remove from heat. Add baking soda and stir and pour on a buttered non-stick 10" X 15"  cookie sheet.

(note: when you add the peanuts to the candy, it will cool the candy a bit and will be quite stiff, be patient, keep stirring and as the candy heats back up, it will be softer)

(Be careful cooking this, the candy is extremely hot)

(note: 1 C. peanuts = 5 oz. --- so use about 3 C. + in the recipe)

(NOTE) This is poured into a buttered non-stick (teflon) pan.  It is about 3/4" deep. The 10" X 15" above is the inside measurement and is just the right size for this recipe.
Note #2: I've started adding the peanuts a little earlier to give them a little more cooking time.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #13 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 3:31pm

PEAR PRESERVES BY: C. B. Williams

I have a friend, Lester Gray, who has two pear trees and a lot more pears than he can use. They are the very firm 'canning type' pear which is the best for preserves. So, I have been making preserves for the last two days. The old time recipe I use is as follows. 
For each quart of chopped pears, use 3/4 to 1 C of sugar and about 1/4 C water, and the juice of one lemon, or you can slice the lemon thin and put the slices into the pears just for looks. Now cook this mixture slow in a non-reactive pot, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has thickened somewhat. (Remember that it will thicken more as it cools in the jars.)  Fill the heated jars  and make sure to have some liquid in with the pears.
Use normal canning methods, boiling the jars and lids, and leaving about 1/4" to 1/2" headroom for the vacuum seal. I can about half, then put a little cinnamon in the pot for the rest, which adds a flavor a lot of people like. 

Note #1-- 3/4 C sugar is a minimum. this is kinda like a fruit spread, use up to 1 1/2 C for a sweeter product.
Note #2-- If the pears are not real firm, ie, beginning to get ripe, they will have more natural juice and may not need any water.
Note #3-- 1 quart of chopped pears will yield a little more than a pint of preserves, as they cook down.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: DESSERTS, CAKES, PIES, and SWEETS
Reply #14 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 11:23pm

This is one of the best cakes I have ever had.  

Comita's Fresh Apple Cake

1 1/2 C salad oil
2 C sugar
2 eggs  
1 T vanilla
3 C plain flour
1 t salt
1 t soda
3 C peeled and finely diced Granny Smith apples  
1 1/2 C finely chopped pecans

1-      beat eggs, add oil and mix
2-      add sugar and vanilla and mix
3-      reserve 2 T flour to mix with apples
4-      reserve 2 T flour to mix with nuts
5-      mix remaining flour, salt and sugar
6-      add floured apples and floured nuts to mix (must be floured)
7-      bake in bundt pan at 350 deg. for 45 min. to 1 hour, test with toothpick
Note: Of course another firm and tart apple can be used.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #15 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 10:31am

Berry Bread Pudding by: Charlee Turner

2 C half and half
1/3 C sugar
dash nutmeg
3 large eggs, beaten
3 C day old bread (French bread holds up the best)
4 T melted butter
2 C of blackberries, raspberries, blueberries (choice...or mix)

Grease pan to be used for baking. (this cooks up GREAT in a camp oven!)
Scald half and half, add sugar nutmeg and vanilla.  Let cool for about 15 minutes. Using a whisk, add eggs.

In dutch oven, put bread cubes, pour melted butter over top, and toss.  Spoon berries over the bread, pour milk and egg mixture over berries and bread.
Bake at 350 for about an hour or until set.    Serve with whipped cream.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #16 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 7:37pm

Peach Cobbler by: Tom Penkava

2 mixing bowls
Cooking Spray
2 C fruit
1 1/2 C sugar
1 C all purpose flour
1 t baking powder
1 stick butter ( 1/2 cup )
3/4 C milk ( any variety )
Ice Cream & more fruit when served ???

1.  Combine fruit & 1/2 cup sugar & let sit while mixing rest of ingrediants

2.  Combine 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 tea spoon baking powder, 1 stick butter : when well mixed add 3/4 cup milk, mix till smooth.
3.  Spray ( well Greased ) inside of oven, pour in 10 inch camp oven, add the 2 cups fruit/1/2 cup sugar mix
4.  Bake @ 350 for 35 - 45 minutes ( till top is golden brown, sides will pull away from oven )
5.  When done, remove coals and let sit till meal is over, serve with the ice cream and additional fruit. ??!!!
Note:  10 CO I use 7 down, 14 up Kingsford  14co is a triple batch 10 down, 20 up

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #17 - Mar 16th, 2009 at 2:52pm

5 minute chocolate mug cake by: Charlee Turner

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE  

4 T flour  
4 T sugar  
2 T cocoa  
1 egg  
3 T milk  
3 T oil  
3 T chocolate chips (optional)  
a small splash of vanilla extract  
1 large coffee mug  

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour   in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.  

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake  will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and  tip out onto a plate if desired.  

EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).  

And why is this  the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?  
Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #18 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 8:12pm

PRALINES by: C. B. Williams

New Orleans style pralines.
This is something not to miss if you ever go to N.O. but, if you can't make it there, just make these.

Recipe:
1 C  brown sugar
1 C  white sugar
1/2 cup half and half milk
2 T butter
1 1/2 C broken pecans

In a boiler, cook the sugars and milk to the soft ball stage (235 F) on your candy thermometer. Add the 2 T butter, then the pecans and continue to cook (but careful not to get over the 235 F.) till you can smell the pecans (about 5 min.). Move the boiler to a cool eye or rack and let cool for 2 or 3 min. to thicken. Using a tablespoon, drop onto alum foil sprayed with a little pam and allow to cool to room temp. This must be stirred often until finished. This recipe makes 12 to 20 depending on size.
Now allow me to explain something. I don't care what Paula Dean, or anyone else says, dear hearts, these are called "prah-lenes" not "pray-lenes". The folks in New Orleans ought to know.
Note: I have discovered that dropping these on a buttered thin flexible plastic cutting board works much better.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #19 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 1:37pm

BANANA NUT BREAD by: Jeff Johnson

Banana Nut Bread

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  2         cups  flour
  1           teaspoon  baking soda
  1/2      teaspoon  baking powder
  1/2      teaspoon  salt
  1/2      cup  shortening (I cheated & used 1/4 cup vegetable oil)
  1/2      cup  butter - softened
  1           teaspoon Vanilla extract (the real stuff, NOT imitation)
  3         large  bananas -- mashed
  2           eggs
  1           cup  sugar
  1/2           cup  chopped walnuts or pecans

Sift dry ingredients together (except sugar and nuts).

Put shortening, sugar, bananas, eggs, Vanilla extract in bowl and mix together.

Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients.  Fold in nuts.

Pour into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.  Bake 55-60 minutes at 350 degrees.  NOTE:  Today's batch took 80 minutes at 350 F.  Judge "doneness" by inserting a toothpick or cake tester into the center of the loaf.  If it comes out clean, you're done.  If not, bake another 10 minutes and recheck for doneness.

If 2 smaller loaves are made, bake only 35-40 minutes at 325 degrees.

I've bakes this in a Lodge cast iron loaf pan, and also a Henry Watson (Suffolk, England) terracotta bread pan.  Both turned out quite nice.  I preheated the cast iron bread pan for about 15 minutes before adding the batter.  If using a terra cotta pan, spray the insides with Pam (or other cooking spray), then dust with flour prior to adding the batter

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #20 - Dec 26th, 2011 at 3:32pm

CRANBERRY-ORANGE SCONES by: Greg Stahl

1 3/4 cups King Arthur All Purpose Flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt ( I use bread salt)
1/2 teaspoon allspice
5 tablespoons Smart Balance Omega 3 buttery stick, cut into pieces
1/2 cup dried orange flavored cranberries (you can also use regular dried cranberries and orange peel from one medium orange)
1/3 cup fat free half and half
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 large egg

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) a baking sheet.

1) In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients, then add the Smart Balance buttery stick pieces, rubbing it in till the mixture resembles coarse meal.

2) Stir in the cranberries.

3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the half and half, orange juice, egg, and orange peel(if you can't find the orange flavored cranberries, otherwise omit the orange peel). Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir till the dough just comes together.

4) Transfer the dough to a thoroughly floured work surface, knead it a couple of times, and shape it into a 1/2"-thick round, about 8" across.

5) Transfer the round to the prepared baking sheet. Brush with milk, and sprinkle with coarse white sugar, if desired.

6) Cut the round in 10 wedges. Separate the wedges slightly.

7) Bake the scones for about 10-15 minutes, or until they're golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and serve immediately.  

These are so light, moist and fluffy and oh so yummy!  Enjoy  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #21 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 9:07pm

SHOO FLY PIE by: Greg Stahl

There are tons of recipes for this pie, but my Aunt Louise made the best shoo fly pies you could find anywhere, but I didn't know her secret.  I don't like the strong sulfur like taste of molasses so I contacted my cousin yesterday and asked if she had her mom's recipes and she did and shared the pie secret with me.  These are great pies and I had to modify it a little, as we can't get Kings Syrup up here and I only had one cup left, so I used that and one cup of pure cane syrup from the deep South USA.  It was a good mix.

Here's the recipe for a wet bottom Shoo Fly pie:

2 c flour
1 1/2 c brown sugar
4 TBS shortening (Crisco is what I used)
2 eggs beaten
2 c Kings Syrup
1 1/2 c hot water
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c hot water
2 unbaked pie shells

Mix flour, brown sugar and shortening like pie dough to make crumbs.  Take out 2 cups crumbs and save for the pie top.  Let remainder of crumbs in the bowl; add eggs (beaten), Kings Syrup and 1 1/2 cups hot water; mix well.  Dissolve baking soda in 1/2 c hot water; add to the other liquid mixture.  Divide liquid between the two pie shells.  Put crumbs on top.  Bake at 360 for 40 min, until top is dry and done or bubbling over. (Recipe can be divided by two to make just one pie.)

shoofly.jpg (83 KB | 51 )
shoofly.jpg

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #22 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 2:54pm

COFFEE CAKE by: Paul Okarma

If you like coffee cake with a lot of stuff as topping, this is for you.

2 cups sifted flour
    3 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. salt
    1 ¼ cup sugar

B

½ cup shortening
    ¾ cup milk

C

¼ cup milk
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla

Crumbs      

1 cup butter
    ½ tsp. salt
    2 ¼ cups flour
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 ½ cups sugar

Confectioner’s sugar

Hint: Make crumbs while cake is baking.

Preheat oven to 350 °F.

Sift together ingredients A.

Add B, beat for 2 minutes at low speed, then 2 minutes at medium speed

Add C, beat for 2 minutes.

Pour into well greased and floured 13 - by 9-inch baking dish. Bake until lightly browned, 45 – 60 minutes. Test with toothpick.

Crumbs: Cream butter. Combing remaining ingredients and add to butter. Make crumbs to desired size and place on cake. Return cake to oven and bake 5 – 8 minutes. When cooled, sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.

Notes: Cake bakes in less than 45 minutes, but it takes more than 10 minutes for the topping.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print