Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DESSERTS, CAKES, PIES, and SWEETS (Read 26875 times)
C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: DESSERTS, CAKES, PIES, and SWEETS
Reply #20 - Dec 26th, 2011 at 3:32pm

CRANBERRY-ORANGE SCONES by: Greg Stahl

1 3/4 cups King Arthur All Purpose Flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt ( I use bread salt)
1/2 teaspoon allspice
5 tablespoons Smart Balance Omega 3 buttery stick, cut into pieces
1/2 cup dried orange flavored cranberries (you can also use regular dried cranberries and orange peel from one medium orange)
1/3 cup fat free half and half
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 large egg

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) a baking sheet.

1) In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients, then add the Smart Balance buttery stick pieces, rubbing it in till the mixture resembles coarse meal.

2) Stir in the cranberries.

3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the half and half, orange juice, egg, and orange peel(if you can't find the orange flavored cranberries, otherwise omit the orange peel). Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir till the dough just comes together.

4) Transfer the dough to a thoroughly floured work surface, knead it a couple of times, and shape it into a 1/2"-thick round, about 8" across.

5) Transfer the round to the prepared baking sheet. Brush with milk, and sprinkle with coarse white sugar, if desired.

6) Cut the round in 10 wedges. Separate the wedges slightly.

7) Bake the scones for about 10-15 minutes, or until they're golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and serve immediately.  

These are so light, moist and fluffy and oh so yummy!  Enjoy  

Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #21 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 9:07pm

SHOO FLY PIE by: Greg Stahl

There are tons of recipes for this pie, but my Aunt Louise made the best shoo fly pies you could find anywhere, but I didn't know her secret.  I don't like the strong sulfur like taste of molasses so I contacted my cousin yesterday and asked if she had her mom's recipes and she did and shared the pie secret with me.  These are great pies and I had to modify it a little, as we can't get Kings Syrup up here and I only had one cup left, so I used that and one cup of pure cane syrup from the deep South USA.  It was a good mix.

Here's the recipe for a wet bottom Shoo Fly pie:

2 c flour
1 1/2 c brown sugar
4 TBS shortening (Crisco is what I used)
2 eggs beaten
2 c Kings Syrup
1 1/2 c hot water
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c hot water
2 unbaked pie shells

Mix flour, brown sugar and shortening like pie dough to make crumbs.  Take out 2 cups crumbs and save for the pie top.  Let remainder of crumbs in the bowl; add eggs (beaten), Kings Syrup and 1 1/2 cups hot water; mix well.  Dissolve baking soda in 1/2 c hot water; add to the other liquid mixture.  Divide liquid between the two pie shells.  Put crumbs on top.  Bake at 360 for 40 min, until top is dry and done or bubbling over. (Recipe can be divided by two to make just one pie.)

shoofly.jpg (83 KB | 51 )
shoofly.jpg

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #22 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 2:54pm

COFFEE CAKE by: Paul Okarma

If you like coffee cake with a lot of stuff as topping, this is for you.

2 cups sifted flour
    3 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. salt
    1 ¼ cup sugar

B

½ cup shortening
    ¾ cup milk

C

¼ cup milk
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla

Crumbs      

1 cup butter
    ½ tsp. salt
    2 ¼ cups flour
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 ½ cups sugar

Confectioner’s sugar

Hint: Make crumbs while cake is baking.

Preheat oven to 350 °F.

Sift together ingredients A.

Add B, beat for 2 minutes at low speed, then 2 minutes at medium speed

Add C, beat for 2 minutes.

Pour into well greased and floured 13 - by 9-inch baking dish. Bake until lightly browned, 45 – 60 minutes. Test with toothpick.

Crumbs: Cream butter. Combing remaining ingredients and add to butter. Make crumbs to desired size and place on cake. Return cake to oven and bake 5 – 8 minutes. When cooled, sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.

Notes: Cake bakes in less than 45 minutes, but it takes more than 10 minutes for the topping.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print