Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VEGETABLES and FUNGI (Read 15907 times)
C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
VEGETABLES and FUNGI
Oct 13th, 2004 at 1:32pm

FRITATA by: Mary Pat Collins                                          This is for a 10-inch skillet.

Turn oven to broil;

Pre-heat skillet on burner set on low with a couple tablespoons of olive oil.

Mix:
5 or 6 eggs
1/2 C parmesan cheese
1/2 C cubed tomatoes (well drained)
1/4 C drained chopped spinach
1/2  t crushed basil
Salt to taste
1 t fresh ground Pepper

Pour mixture into skillet
Cover and heat for 3-5 minutes (until solids form on bottom)

Place skillet under burner and cook until the top is nicely browned.  It puffs up quite nicely.  Leftovers can be cooled and served the next day.

Variations:
Saute onions in the skillet prior to adding egg mixture.

Use any combination of 3/4 cup vegetables as long as they are drained.

Use crushed thyme instead (or in addition to) basil.

If using canned tomatoes, create a sauce to use up remaining tomatoes.

Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: VEGETARIAN DISHES
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2004 at 3:01pm

STUFFED VIDALIA ONION
BY C. B. WILLIAMS

Cut off a thin slice of each end and peel the outer skin and the first layer of the onion, then core the root end of a large flat Vidalia onion. With the cored side up and on a sheet of alum. foil, place 1 T. of Heinz 57 sauce, and 1 T. sour cream, salt and pepper, then 1 slice of white cheese, and 1 slice of yellow cheese. Wrap in the alum. foil making a very large Hershey's kissy shape. Bake this at about 350 until the onion begins to soften, about 20 minutes the onion will be firm, about 40 minutes and it will be soft. I cook mine about 25 minutes.  This goes great with most any meat dish. This was developed by Frank Parke.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: VEGETABLE DISHES
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 4:14pm

SAUTEED ASPARAGUS by: C. B. Williams      

For two, as a side veggie. About 15 to 20 small asparagus spears, Heat pan with about 1/4 inch water, a tablespoon good olive oil, and a tablespoon chopped roasted garlic (I use the spice world brand in jars from the grocery, but you can roast your own). Saute the asparagus with fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste. Careful not to over cook maybe 3 or 4 min.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 5:16pm

MY NORTHERN BEANS BY: C. B. Williams      

1/4 C diced country ham
1/4 C+ chopped onion
1 can great northern beans

Saute the ham in a little olive oil, add about 1/4 C water and cook onions till they are clear. Add the can of beans with their juice, season with red pepper to taste, and cook about 5 min. on low. (note, no salt, the ham already has that)

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 2:44am

Jim Gallentine's beans

1 honey baked ham bone with a little meat left on it, 2 lbs. beans, your choice, 2 qts. water, 2 qts. chicken stock, 2 onions quartered, 2 stalks of celery chopped large, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic salt, all in one pot together cook on low heat after it starts to boil for about 4 hrs. Make some corn bread and pig out.

Note from C. B.---This original recipe calls for a Honey Baked ham bone, but any ham bone or a piece of ham will work. In fact, you might prefer some other ham than the Honey baked if you don't want it sweet.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2005 at 3:14am

STUFFED PORTABELLA MUSHROOMS
by: C. B. Williams

This works best if done on a hot cast iron skillet or griddle that has been pre-heated in the oven. First, cut the stem out of the portabellas. Place them upside down, put about a TBS. of butter on each, then a TBS. of chopped green onions, then top with grated parmesan cheese, a pinch of cayenne pepper, then a drizzle of good balsamic vinegar. Place under the broiler on high until the cheese melts or begins to brown. If the mushrooms are large, the butter and the green onions may need to be increased. The pre-heated cast iron will balance the cooking from the bottom. The main trick here is to find a really good balsamic. One way to tell is, good, aged, balsamic is thick, about like maple syrup. ( I prefer the balsamic added after cooking, but it is not necessary)
If you want a heartier kink to this, saute' some pork sausage and put a little in each mushroom, then the other ingredients. If you want them to have some bite, put a jalapeno pepper slice in each. This done with smaller mushrooms make great party knacks.
Baby portabellas are actually cremini mushrooms.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #6 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 2:21pm

GREAT GREENS
by C. B. Williams

I grew up in rural Mississippi many years ago. As a youngster I hated greens and now I know why. The old southern way of cooking them was terrible and from those I have tried, the northern way is worse. Try this recipe for a kink on greens.

2 lbs. collard or turnip greens (or others)
2 pieces ham hock, salt pork, or country ham (1/4 to 1/2 lb.)
1 can beef broth + 1 can water
3 cloves fresh garlic
2 T malt, red wine, or apple, vinegar
1 T brown sugar
1 t salt or to taste
1 t crushed red pepper (or less if you don't like things spicy)

In a pot big enough to hold the greens, cook the bacon until fat is rendered and leaving the meat in the pot, pour in 1 can beef broth plus 1 can water, (or more added during cooking) add garlic cloves, add the 2 TBSP vinegar and the 1 TBSP brown sugar, add the 2 lbs. greens, (note these will cook down a lot but the pot must be big enough to start with), add salt, and red pepper, and cook on a slow boil until the greens are tender. (turning a few times during cooking) Enjoy with good southern cornbread.  (TIP: I buy fresh greens at the grocery, pre-cut and pre-washed, in 2 lb. bags, very easy to prepare, just throw out the big stems and cook. Fresh out of the garden is better. This will look like a lot but will cook down quite a bit.)
  Note: I use this same recipe on turnip greens, collards, mustard, and cabbage.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: VEGETABLES and FUNGI
Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2006 at 2:04pm

Pan Fried sweet potatoes
by: Jim Maloney                                                                  I use a #8 for this recipe and a #10 for double.  

PAN FRIED SWEET POTATOES       Serves 3 or 4 (as a side dish)

2 sweet potatoes (about 1 lb each)  Peeled and diced (1/2" - 3/4”)
2 T Butter
2 T  olive oil
¼ C liquid (orange juice, apple juice, wine, beer, chicken stock or just water - I've tried them all!)
Salt & Pepper
Seasoning (optional)

Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the butter and oil.  The skillet should be large enough so that the pieces are only one or two deep. When the butter begins to bubble, add the diced sweet potatoes and stir to coat them with the oil.  Add salt, pepper and seasoning (curry powder, Old Bay or other spice mixture) as desired.  Stir occasionally, but not too often.  Let them brown a little before stirring again.  When a knife goes through a piece with little resistance (about 10-15 minutes), correct the salt and pepper, then add the liquid and stir completely.  When almost all the liquid has been absorbed or evaporated, quickly move the potatoes to a serving dish.

A note from C. B.:
I have cooked this for years, using a 50/50 mix of olive oil and butter, salt, fresh ground black pepper, and sliced potatoes (about 1/4" to 3/8"), turning once to slightly brown each side.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 3:11pm

New Potatoes
by: C. B. Williams

new potatoes:
Here is a little dish I did last night with some baby gold potatoes. It would work with new red potatoes just as well.  

(for 2 servings)

About 15 new potatoes (depending on size) and cut about a ring of the skin off. ( cutting a ring of skin off allows the marinade to flavor them better) 

marinade for 2 hours in the following:
1/3 C. olive oil
1 t. balsamic vinegar
1 t. chopped garlic
1/2 t fresh ground pepper
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. rosemary
1/4 t. dried parsley

Place in a pan with some of the marinade in a preheated 400 deg. oven. Cook until tender.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 3:13pm

Oven Roasted potatoes by: Michelle Hess
Wash and dry your taters. Then cut into small cubes.
Preheat an appropriate size skillet and then add bacon grease. Just enough to thoroughly coat the taters.
Add spuds to skillet with some salt, fresh cracked pepper, fresh minced garlic and fresh rosemary.
Toss well, make sure everything is coated.
Keep on the burner for a few minutes, stir a few times.
Then place in a preheated 400 degree oven. 
Cook for approx 1 hour, stirring once or twice, until golden brown

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 10:23pm

Artichoke Tempura by, Jeff Paden

Wow!!  a can of artichoke quarters.  Box of tempura mix & some Ice water.  Stir the powder in until clumps disappear and then drop 6-10 artichoke pieces into the batter, scoop out with a slotted spoon or other scoop, briefly allow batter to drain. Drop into oil and fry for 3 minutes. Pull out, drop right back into the batter, briefly allow batter to drain again and then 3 more minutes in the oil then drain and serve immediately with parmesan peppercorn dressing.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 8:49pm

Bacon Wrapped Asparagus by: C. B. Williams

serving for two:

10 asparagus spears
4 slices bacon
roasted garlic
worchestershire sauce
salt and pepper

Cook the bacon about half way. Wrap 2 pieces of the bacon around 5 asparagus spears in a spiral securing with toothpicks. Place in a small pan and sprinkle some roasted garlic on top, salt, pepper, and some worchestershire sauce. Bake until the bacon finishes cooking.
A nice little side.

Bacon wrapped green beans have been around a long time. This is just an idea taken from that.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #12 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 9:33pm

ROASTED NEW POTATOES by: Becky Leach

Okay, sounds boring, right, or like you don't need a recipe,eh? WELL, let me tell you: try them *exactly* this way and you won't believe the results. These are out of this world delicious.  

No proportions needed. The trick is all in the technique. You will need both a skillet and a lid for this recipe.

Take some nice, fresh new potatoes (I used red ones, from my garden) in a smallish size (not much bigger than a walnut in its shell worked for me).  Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and while waiting wash the potatoes and nick off any deep eyes or rough spots with a peeler, but leave as much skin as possible. IF you don't need to clean one, at least nick it so it won't explode in the oven.

Cover the bottom of your favorite cast iron skillet (size depends on the amount of potatoes) with these little guys, and then drizzle good quality olive oil all over them.  Stir to coat. Grate some fresh black pepper, sprinkle with kosher salt, cover and pop into oven for about 20-30 minutes. Check and test for tenderness by inserting a knife. When tender, remove lid and keep on roasting for about another 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are all nice and crackly and their skins are starting to crack

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #13 - May 25th, 2010 at 4:18pm

STUFFED CREMINI MUSHROOMS by: C. B. Williams

Cremini mushrooms are actually baby portabellas. To make this dish, remove the stems, and stuff them with some crumbled cooked sausage. After the sausage has cooked, add a little grated sharp cheddar as a binder and fill each mushroom. A sprinkle of a good balsamic vinegar, some more sharp cheddar and chopped green onion tops. Place under the broiler until the cheese melts and the mushrooms are good and hot. I don't like the mushrooms overcooked. I place these in an aebleskiver pan but almost anything will work. This is a good side or an hors-dourve.  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 10:32am

RUSSIAN STYLE POTATOES by: Jeff Johnson

Russian Style Pan Fried Potatoes With Sour Cream & Dill

The use of sour cream and dill in these pan fried potatoes gives a nice slightly tart, fresh flavor.

You'll need:
4 large potatoes, peeled & cut into small cubes (~1/2")
6 - 10 mushrooms, sliced (I cheated & used a 8 oz net weight can of sliced mushrooms & stems - DRAINED)
1.5 Tablespoons sour cream
2 Tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped (I used 2 Tbsp freeze dried dill)
1 Tablespoon butter
Vegetable oil for frying
Salt

Preheat your #10 skillet over medium-high heat.

Once nice & hot, add a couple splashes of vegetable oil.  When the oil is hot, dump in the diced potatoes & stir to coat evenly with oil.

Reduce heat to medium.

Cook potatoes until nicely browned & crispy (about 20 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning).  If needed, add extra oil while cooking the potatoes.  Sprinkle with a little salt to taste.  Reduce heat to low.

In a separate skillet over medium heat, melt 1 Tablespoon butter.  Add the sliced mushrooms (or drained canned mushrooms).  Cook about 10-15 minutes.  You're trying to cook off some of the liquid in the mushrooms, and slightly brown them.

Once mushrooms are reduced in volume & lightly browned, remove skillet from heat.  Add sour cream, dill, and mix well.

Add mushroom/dill/sour cream mix to fried potatoes.  Mix well & serve.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #15 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 2:12pm

BRAISED CABBAGE by: Randy Eckstein

1/2 head of cabbage--ribbon cut
1/2 red onion-julienned
1 small apple, peeled, diced (optional)
2 TB oil
salt, pepper, celery seed to taste
3 TB rice wine vinegar

Heat oil (medium heat), add vegetables and seasoning, stir to prevent burning
After cabbage starts to wilt add rice wine vinegar continuing cooking to desired texture.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #16 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 8:17pm

VEGGIE FRITTATA: by Mark R. Smith

Veggie Frittata

Frittatas can vary ingredients according to what you have on hand.

A veggie Frittata seems to have some basic ingredients.

1 medium white onion
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Red bell Pepper
1 Yellow Squash or Zucchini Squash
4 Cloves garlic crushed and diced
1 TBS Thyme
1 TBS Oregano
1 cup Fresh Basil
1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
8 large eggs
1 TBS milk or half&half for each egg.
2 TBS olive oil
1 TBS Salt and Pepper
  1 Cup Parmesan cheese grated.

PreWarm oven to 350 degrees.
Dice your veggies to a medium dice.
Beat your eggs and milk set aside
Heat you skillet add the olive oil
When hot add your onion, peppers and squash cook till starting to soften.
Add garlic and herbs
Add salt and pepper
Add Tomatoes
Cook till liquid thickens
Add the eggs and half of the cheese stir let eggs start to set
Then add rest of cheese on top
Place in oven and let bake until cheese melt and bubbles and mixture pulls away from sides of skillet about 20 mins.
Remove and let Stand for 10mins.

Notes
This is a rough recipe as I ted to look at various recipes and take a little from many and do my own thing. Also I do like my mother and I don’t do exact measurements.

There are many variations you can do depending on what you have on hand.

You could add Mushrooms or spinach, kale, arugula just about any green you can cook I wouldn’t use Collards.

Other variations use pepper Jack, smoked Gouda or other cheese of your choice just make sure you use a cheese that will melt well. I have used aged sharp Cheddar but with another cheese that melts without breaking as the main cheese.

You can use meats like ham or Italian sausage out of the casing. I would cook the sausage with the veggies and cut back on the olive oil.

The variations are endless Just do a search for Frittata Recipes online and have fun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print