Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SEAFOOD (Read 15786 times)
C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
SEAFOOD
Oct 13th, 2004 at 1:17pm

BBQ SHRIMP
BY: C. B. WILLIAMS

This is popular in New Orleans and has nothing to do with B-B-Q as we know it, and might be the best shrimp recipe ever. Serve with toasted French bread which is dunked in the juices the shrimp were cooked in. The bread does not need to be seasoned, the juices do this fine. This is about right for 2 servings. Use 1 bowl per person to serve the shrimp unpeeled and the juices divided equally. Give everybody a towel, this is messy to eat.  

(I have no idea how this dish got the name B-B-Q shrimp, it is actually a broiled shrimp.)

1 1/2 lbs. large shrimp head off, or 2 lbs. head on. *head on has more flavor.  1  layer of shrimp in a pan, (I use a large Pyrex casserole dish) do not pile up
*4 oz. Lea and Perrins worcestershire sauce
*2 oz. lemon juice
*2 oz. white wine

Don't pay much attention to the amounts of these three ingredients, but more to the proportions. Mainly because of how crowded the shrimp are in the pan. What is important is have the liquid about 1/2 to 3/4 way up on the single layer of shrimp.

Lots of freshly cracked black pepper about 1 t.
2 t. chopped garlic
1 t. rosemary
3/4 stick butter cut up and spread over.

Broil at 450 deg. on top rack for 5 min. turn shrimp over and about 4  min. on the other side. Size of shrimp will affect cooking time.  

Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: SEAFOOD DISHES
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 1:22pm

CAJUN BOILED SHRIMP BY C. B. WILLIAMS      

I have two good friends who are both as Cajun as you can get. Their boiled shrimp is almost  exactly the same, so this is about as authentic as can be had. First, let me say that I have spent many happy hours eating Cajun seafood dishes and there are 2 things I can say about it. (1) It is spicy, not too much, but spicy. (2) It is d**n good.

I cook 1 lb. head off or 1 1/2 lbs. head on shrimp + 2 ears corn + 4 small red potatoes per couple, however, I know some good old boys who can eat that much with no help. Now you first fix up a broth. Aprox.  2 gal water, depending on the amount of shrimp. add about 1/2 cup salt---1 package ZATARAIN'S dry crab boil--- about 2 T ZATARAIN'S liquid crab boil--- cayanne pepper---worchestershire sauce---tobasco sauce---quartered onion--- celery stalks (2). Now cook this slow and taste after a while, (one of these friends said, "when it is too spicy to taste it's ready" First the potatoes about 10 min. then the corn about 5 min. then the shrimp about 5 min. If you got a picnic table use newspapers, drain the pot and dump everything in the middle and everybody is on their own. Except for the drinks, that is optional. That gives 20 min. on the potatoes, 10 min. on the corn and 5 on the shrimp. Please understand the times can vary with the size of the things to cook. In short if you think the potatoes will take longer, wait longer before putting the corn in.

One note: Just because that is all the shrimp I cook for my wife and me doesn't mean you can't cook more with the same recipe for the water and spices.  In fact, you can take up what you cook and cook another batch in the same water.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 1:25pm

DANGED GOOD SEAFOOD BY DARREL PALMQUIST    Cast Iron Skillet Blackened Fish  

Makes one serving,  so increase accordingly for multiple servings  

1 T      Paprika  
2 1/2 t    salt  
1   Onion powder  
1 t   Garlic Powder  
1 t  Cayenne Pepper  
3/4 t   white pepper  
3/4 t  black pepper  
1/2 t  thyme  
1/2 t  oregano  
1/4 t  sage  

Grouper  filets or tilapia filets; preferably 1/2 in thick or less  
4 medium shrimp cleaned , deveined and partially cooked  
1/2c crawfish meat, shredded  
Vegetable oil  

Mix all the spices together and store in a tight jar   Heat 1 tablespoon of  
vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet on medium high heat until very hot but  
not quite smoking!  
Rinse fish fillets and pat dry with paper towel, Rub a little oil on both  
side of filets and sprinkle spice very generously on both sides.  Sear the  
fish in the hot oil for about one minute Flip it over and cook other side.  
If filets are thick you may need to lower the heat , cover and cook longer  
Rub shrimp with oil and then spices, sauté with shredded crawfish meat  for  
30-45 seconds per side  in tables spoon of oil at medium -high heat, in a  
cast iron skillet.  

Creamy Chili Sauce  
1 pint Mayo  
1 pint Sour cream  
1/2 C Chili sauce  
1/2 t Cayenne pepper  

Mix thoroughly and put into small skillet. heat slowly until hot.  o not  
over heat!.  

Place fish fillets on plate, and 2 shrimp and some crawfish tail meat, cover with  
sauce.  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 1:29pm

ICTALURUS PUNCTATUS (
FRIED CATFISH
) BY: C. B. WILLIAMS

That is channel catfish. My state, Mississippi, produces about 75% of the farm raised catfish in the USA. This amounts to a multi-million dollar crop. Fried catfish and hushpuppies with a Vidalia onion is a trully fine meal. First catfish can be had either whole (head off and cleaned about 8 to 10 inches long) or fillets. Either is fine, I prefer the whole fish.  I give them a coating of butter milk and refrigerate for 1 or 2 hours, drain, salt, red pepper, meal seasoned with some salt and red pepper. (note: if using stone ground meal which is coarser I mix in about 1/3 flour) Deep fry in a large pot with (peanut oil) heated to 350-375. Many cooks use some garlic, different oil, and something other than the butter milk.

One of the common mistakes people make when deep frying is not using  enough oil. It takes a lot of oil to keep the temp. up after the cold fish go in. If the temp. goes down the fish will be soggy, and greasy. The bubbles you see when the catfish go in is the water in the fish boiling. When they float and the bubbling slows down, they are ready.

(Note: when cooking whole catfish, I make about 3 slashes on each side to let more hot oil get to the meat, this makes it a bit more crispy.)

See hushpuppies under BREADS, MUFFINS, ETC.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2005 at 1:44am

LEMON GLAZED SALMON BY: Ty Williams

Great salmon recipe

SERVES: 4

Ingredients

•      1/4 C extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing  
•      1 garlic clove, smashed  
•      One 4-inch rosemary sprig  
•      3/4 C Japanese panko bread crumbs  
•      1/2 t grated lemon zest  
•      Salt and freshly ground pepper  
•      1/4 C honey  
•      1 1/2 T fresh lemon juice  
•      2 mint sprigs  
•      Four 1/2-pound skinless salmon fillets  

Directions

1.      Light a grill. In a small skillet, warm the 1/4 cup of olive oil with the garlic and rosemary over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring constantly, until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Discard the rosemary sprig and smashed garlic from the crumbs.  

2.      In a small saucepan, combine the honey with the lemon juice and mint sprigs and cook over high heat, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.  

3.      Brush the salmon fillets with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Grill the fish over a medium-high fire, turning once, until lightly charred and just pink in the center, about 10 minutes. Brush the honey and lemon glaze all over the fillets and grill until lightly lacquered, turning and brushing both sides, about 2 minutes. Transfer the grilled, glazed salmon to plates, sprinkle with the bread crumbs and serve immediately.  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 11:49am

FISH PIZZA by: Cindy Overton                                         Walleye Pizza

1 pizza crust of choice                  2 lbs Walleye fillets – sautéed in butter and flaked                (or other fish)
1 jar Alfredo Pasta sauce             2 thin sliced tomatoes
Fresh Sweet Basil leaves             12 oz. Shredded Co-Jack cheese                            

Choose a pizza crust of your choice.  Can be a boxed mix, frozen or pre-cooked.  Prepare the crust and cover with Alfredo sauce.  Layer the tomato slices and Basil leaves on the sauce, spread on the cooked and flaked Walleye, and top with cheese.  Place lid of Dutch oven upside-down on a lid holder, or something to hold lid off the ground and steady.  Place pizza on the lid, and place lid (on holder) over a ring of charcoal the same diameter as the lid, cover with the upside-down Dutch oven.  Place 3 more coals than the diameter of the oven on the top, (Where the legs are now).  For example:  10” Dutch Oven = 13 coals.  Bake till cheese is bubbly and golden brown, and pizza is hot.  Be careful when removing the oven.  We recommend long Dutch Oven gloves, or welding gloves.  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 10:40am

Crab stuffed flounder fillets
by, Ray Bruen
4 flounder fillets
1 t salt
1/2 t white pepper
2 C crab stuffing
1/2 C white wine
1/4 C water

Crab stuffing  
1 C crab meat, cleaned
2 T minced red pepper
2 T minced green onions  
2 T celery
1/4 C butter or margarine
1 1/2 C soft white bread cubes
1 T lemon juice

Chardonnay cream sauce:
1 1/4 C Chardonnay or other dry white wine
1/3 C chopped shallots
3/4 C whipping cream  

Lay fillets flat, more attractive side down, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place about 1/4 cup stuffing on each fillet and roll up from widest end; secure with toothpicks. Arrange in a buttered shallow casserole, add wine and water, cover loosely, and bake 20 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven. Lift rolls to a heated deep platter with a slotted spoon, cover, and keep warm. Strain cooking liquid and reserve. Stir-fry red pepper, scallions and celery in butter in a skillet over moderate heat 2 to 3 minutes. Add bread cubes and stir-fry until lightly browned. Off heat, add lemon juice and toss lightly to mix. Boil wine, shallots and juices from fish in heavy medium saucepan until mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 10 minutes. Add cream and boil until liquid is reduced to sauce consistency, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 1:02pm

PROSCIUTTO SHRIMP BY: PAUL BEER
with cucumber-melon salsa

1 C cantaloupe diced
1/2 C cucumber diced
2 T minced fresh basil
1 T minced shallot
1 T honey
1 T white wine vinegar
1 t olive oil
1/2 t kosher salt
12 jumbo shrimp, peeled leave on tail, salt and pepper
6 slices prosciutto halved lengthwise...olive oil for brushing.

combine first 8 items for salsa, cover and chill
season shrimp with salt and pepper. Wrap in prosciutto and thread on skewers. Heat skillet upside down over high heat and brush bottom of pan with oil.
Sear shrimp in batches until pink and prosciutto turns crisp; about 3 minutes per side and serve with salsa.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2007 at 11:41am

CRAB CAKES by: C. B. Williams
Crab cakes are found mostly all along the Atlantic coast. They will vary a lot depending on the cook. I have cooked these a number of times and the following recipe is what I call crab cakes with a Cajun touch.

1 lb.  crab meat
2 eggs - lightly beaten
1/2 C chopped onion
1/4 C finely chopped celery
1/2 t crushed garlic
1/2 t Zatarain's Creole seasoning (or Tony Chachere's)
1/2 t paprika
1/4 t salt
1/4 t red pepper
1/2 C seasoned bread crumbs
1 t parsley
2+ T mayonnaise
1 T prepared mustard
1/2 t Lea and perrins worchestershire

Mix all above & make into small hamburger size patties
After making a patty, place it into bread crumbs then turn to coat both sides
Cook in a hot skillet with about 1/4 inch oil until brown on both sides turning once.
Hint: After mixing a 30 min. chill in the refrigerator will make handling easier.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #9 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 2:17pm

Broiled fish fillets BY: C. B. Williams

A lot of people associate broiled fish with "bland" fish. This doesn't have to be the case. The fish fillets shown below were placed in a shallow pan, with a little butter, olive oil, and creole seasoning, (Tony's or Zatarain's) and finished with 2 thin lemon slices on the presentation side. This dish is very tasty. To do this start with the fillets presentation side (the pretty side) down on some olive oil, and a pat of butter and a sprinkle of seasoning on top of each fillet and place under the broiler for about 2 minutes. Remove from oven, turn each fillet, another sprinkle of creole seasoning, and two thin lemon slices, back under the broiler for about 2 or 3 minutes, depending on your oven, your taste, and the thickness of the fillets. Don't over cook.
The fillets shown happen to be tilapia, but any good fish fillet will work.

This was served with one of my favorite salads. Lettuce, Mandarian oranges, toasted almonds, and viva (or zesty) Italian dressing. And some chunky roasted potato salad.

meal.jpg (102 KB | 234 )
meal.jpg

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #10 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 1:40pm

SALMON PIE by: Jim Maloney

Crust:  Use your best  pie crust recipe, add some pepper and dill.  Roll out and blind bake it for 10 min at 375.  I didn't use weights since the time was so short.  I just wanted the crust to set and dry out a little so it wouldn't get soggy, not get browned.

Filling:

2 cans of red salmon, picked clean of skin & bones.
1 potato, fine dice, par boiled for 3-5 minutes
1 C frozen peas, defrosted.
1/2 onion, fine dice, sweated slightly in olive oil
1/2 green bell pepper, fine dice, sweated slightly in olive oil (with the onions)
5 eggs, beaten
1/2 C half'n'half - (milk or cream will work too)
1/2 t dried dill
1/2 t Old Bay seafood seasoning
1/4 C dried bread crumbs
salt & pepper to taste

Chop the onion & pepper to fine dice & sweat in olive oil - don't let it brown, set aside to cool a little
Peal the potato, chop into fine dice & par boil for no more than 5 minutes until just turning translucent but not soft. Strain & rinse in cold water to stop the cooking.
Pick over the salmon.
Mix everything together just to combine. except the bread crumbs.  
Pour into the pie shell, smooth into a slight mound & sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top.
Bake at 375 for 45 minutes (knife comes clean from center)
Place under a broiler to brown the top a little.

Serve with a dill cream sauce, sour cream, salsa or just ketchup.  I was hungry and ate mine plain.

I inverted the pie onto a skillet cover (nice because it has a handle and doesn't get too hot too quickly), then reinverted it onto my serving plate.  A quick wipe and my #8 was clean as a whistle.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 3:11pm

Cedar Plank Salmon by: Greg Lappe

Cedar plank smoked Marinated Salmon directions

Make the marinade in a bowl and set aside. You must use ALL fresh herbs in the marinade no dried. It is a night and day difference.

Rinse your salmon fillet with running water and dry with paper towels. Lay the salmon fillet out flat and spoon some of the marinade on top coating it well. Take a large zip lock bag and place half of the remaining marinade in it. Setting this zip lock bag in a bowl will keep it upright so it won’t spill. Roll up the salmon fillet (like a piece of paper, it will only roll up on one side) so that the coated side is on the inside and place it into the zip lock bag, add the reamining marinade, remove the remaining air, seal and place the bowl and all into the refrigerator to marinate for two hours.

Prepare the cedar planks by submerging them in salt water for the two hours that the salmon is marinating. Once the two hours are up remove the planks from the water and allow them to drain naturally while you heat your grill on high. Once the grill is ready to go (usually about 10 to 15 min) place the cedar planks onto the grill and char one side. Once the planks are blackened turn them over, turn the grill down to low to med, and place the salmon on top of the charred surface. Now using your fingers scoop the herbs out of the marinating bag while leaving most of the oil in the bag and rub evenly on top of the salmon. Discard the rest. If more than one plank is used just butt them together to form a larger one. Cook until done, usually when the creamy white proteins start to come out of the bone line down the middle of the fillet but you are the judge on that. You will need some type of water bottle to spray the cedar with when it catches fire but don’t spray the salmon or you will lose flavor.

I usually get my cedar planks at Wal-Mart, two in a package for 3 to 4 dollars.

The marinade is from the Barbecue Bible-Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, & Glazes by Steven Raichlen.

I did add the soy sauce to the marinade but you can omit it for the original version. I think it is much better with it.

Salmon Marinade

1/4  C fresh lemon juice
1/2  t hot pepper flakes
1/2  t cracked black pepper
1/2  t coarse salt (Kosher or Sea)
4   Strips of lemon zest
3 Cloves garlic, crushed with the side of a cleaver or minced
1/4  C coarsely chopped fresh parsley
1/4  C coarsely chopped FRESH basil, cilantro, dill, oregano, or a mix of all four
1/2 C Extra virgin olive oil
2   T of soy sauce

Combine the lemon juice, hot pepper flakes, cracked pepper, and salt in a nonreactive (glass, ceramic, or stainless steel) bowl and whisk until the salt crystals are dissolved. Add the lemon zest, garlic, parsley, and basil. Stir or whisk in the olive oil.  

Note from C. B.: There are different species of cedar. One called "western red cedar" is usually used for this, not the aromatic cedar used for closet linings. If you are unsure, always buy the cedar planks from a cooking store that are intended for this purpose.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 8:15pm

FISH FILLETS AMANDINE by: C. B. Williams

4 pieces of fish fillets (about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. total)
olive oil
butter
1/4 C slivered or sliced almonds
fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper
2 t parsley

Heat pan and coat with olive oil. When hot add equal amount of butter. Saute fish fillets turn once with the presentation side down first so it will be up when finished.  
  Brown almonds in a little butter with some finely chopped garlic, then add 1 T lemon juice, and 2 t snipped parsley.  
  Plate fillets and pour the almond mixture over each fillet.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 2:13pm

TILAPIA FILLETS MEUNIERE by: C. B. Williams

Tilapia fillets meuniere:
(or the fish or your choice)

1/2 C flour
2 t salt
1 t black pepper
3 or 4 tilapia fillets  
6 T butter
6 T lemon juice
1 t lemon zest or 2 lemon wedges
1 T fresh parsley

(1) Combine flour, salt and pepper
(2) Pat dry and dredge the fillets in the flour to lightly coat
(3) Heat the butter in a pan until just beginning to turn brown
(4) Place the fillets in the pan, add the lemon juice, and cook about 2 minutes on each side, depending on thickness
(5) Plate and add the lemon wedges or zest and parsley 

This recipe gives a lemony taste to the fish, which I like. The lemon juice could be reduced if you would like less lemon flavor.  

I have eaten many dishes described with the word "meuniere" which basically means to saute or pan fry in a lemon butter mixture after coating with seasoned flour, which can be wheat or corn.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 2:18pm

OYSTERS CASINO by: C. B. Williams

Here is my version of OYSTERS CASINO. This works great in an abelskiver or golf ball muffin pan.  
Melt:
1 stick butter
2 T fine chopped green onion tops  
1 1/2 t garlic
salt and red pepper to taste

Cook above until the onions are tender.  

1- Place an oyster into each cup, or 2 if they are small.
2- Add about a T of the melted butter mixture to each
3- Top with fine crumbled crisp bacon and a little parsley for garnish

Bake at 375 until the mixture is bubbling (about 5 minutes.) Don't over cook.

Note: A variation to this is sprinkle some seasoned bread crumbs instead of the parsley and put under the broiler until the bread crumbs begin to brown.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #15 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 2:02pm

SOFT SHELL CRABS by: C. B. Williams

I cooked some wonderful soft shelled crabs this weekend.
  There are three popular ways of preparing these wonderful creatures, frying, broiling and sauteing
  To fry, just season with a little salt and red pepper, then roll in some corn meal and fry until golden brown.  
  To broil, (my favorite) season with salt and red pepper then roll in melted butter that has had a light addition of balsamic vinegar and garlic. An optional dusting of flour is OK. Place under broiler until light brown on each side. About 5 minutes, more or less, on each side, I just watch for the color.  Using about 1/2 C melted butter, use about a 1/2 t each of balsamic and garlic.
  To saute, heat some good olive oil in a pan and add an equal amount of butter. Salt and red pepper the crabs and dust with some flour and saute in the skillet turning once.  
  I have been a fan of Justin Wilson for years, and he always suggested red pepper for seafood rather than black pepper, and I agree with him.  
  If frying, as always, be sure and use plenty of oil and have it at least 325 F. before putting the crabs in. Plenty of oil insures that the temperature doesn't drop much when the crabs are put in, otherwise the end product will be greasy.

Note: Crabs "molt" or shed their exo-skeleton which is their shell in order to grow. Immediatly after molting they are soft shell crabs for only a few hours. A few hours after molting the new shell starts to harden. When the shell first start to harden they are known as "paper shells" or "paper backs" before the shell is completely hard again. When they are true soft shells, the whole crab is eaten after cleaning.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print