Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BEEF  & LAMB (Read 17887 times)
C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
BEEF  & LAMB
Oct 13th, 2004 at 1:04pm

PRIME RIB
BY GREG STAHL                                                sauce (can be made the day before)

2 cups of ruby port
4 cups of beef broth
2 bottles of cabrenet wine or other red wine (1.5 L total)
3 large cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves  
1 teaspoon of thyme
1 large shallot, peeled and halved

place all the above ingredients into a large pot and reduce to 2 cups, strain and reserve the liquid for later.

take a 6 lb prime rib (or smaller), salt and pepper all over.  Take 4 large garlic cloves and press and mix with 2 teaspoons of thyme and rub the entire rib roast with this mixture.

Preheat the oven to 450F, place rib roast in a #3 or #5 Griswold oval roaster and roast for 1 hour.  Insert a meat thermometer and then tent the entire roast with aluminum foil and continue to roast at 450F until the meat thermometer reads 140F.  Remove from the oven and place the roast on a plate to rest for at least 20 min.

Remove any fat from the oval roaster and warm the roaster on the stove and then add the cabernet sauce and boil for 1 min, scraping the bits and pieces from the side and bottom. salt and pepper to taste (doesn't really need it though).

Serve sauce in a gravy boat with the prime rib!  This is a real crowd pleaser!  We have this every Christmas as a family tradition!                                    

Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: BEEF DISHES
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 1:08pm

BEER LOVERS CHUCK ROAST BY LYNDA MAYO        The pot of choice is either a cast iron D.O. or deep skillet with a lid. The size depends on your roast.....it should be just large enough in diameter for the roast to fit into.    

1.  Chuck Roast -- about 3 pounds of nicely marbled meat.    

2.  Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing -- one of those little packs of dry mix  

3.  Bottle of Beer -- your choice  

Sprinkle the roast with Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper.  

Brown it real good on both sides in hot DO or skillet coated with a little Oil.  

Pour in the beer til it comes about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up sides of roast.  

Sprinkle with about 1/2 of the packet of Italian Salad Dressing Mix.  

Put on lid and pop it into a 350 degree oven for 3 or 4 hours until it is falling off the bone.    

After the roast has cooked for a couple of hours,  pour in the rest of the beer, if you haven't drank it already.  

Cook's notes:  Any kind of oil is fine for browning, but Lard or grease from bacon or salt pork adds a nice flavor.  Get the roast good & brown on both sides before pouring in the beer.  

The Dressing Mix adds a lot of saltiness to the dish, so it's best not to go overboard with the Kosher Salt.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: BEEF  DISHES
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2005 at 3:22pm

BEEF JERKY by: C. B. Williams

--- Use as lean a cut beef as you can find, I like flank steak, cut into thin strips, (with the grain makes it chewy, and accross the grain makes it easy to chew, I like chewy), try for about 1/8 inch. thickness. Maranate in, 3 parts Dale's, 3 parts teriyaki, 3 parts La. hot sauce, 1 part liquid smoke, in the ref. for 4 hours or overnight. A dehydrator works best, but I get good results in my convection oven at the lowest setting and the door a-jar. I drape the strips over the racks with a drip pan below. Drying usually takes about 4 to 6 hours. I use a very sharp knife, but a slicer will do better, and the colder the meat the better. This is a little spicey so adjust the hot sauce to your tastes. ( Louisiana hot sauce is not as hot as Tobasco brand hot sauce [also a Louisiana product], if using the Tobasco I would suggest about half as much).

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 2:40pm

STRIP STEAK BY:  TY WILLIAMS
Here is one I made the other night that turned out great and is quick and easy to make.  

Strip Steak with Pepper Cream Sauce

4 (6 to 8-ounce) strip steaks, 3/4 to 1-inch thick  
kosher salt  
2 t black peppercorns, coarsely crushed  
2 T clarified, unsalted butter  
3/4 C beef stock or broth  
3 T cognac  
3/4 C heavy cream  
1 T green peppercorns in brine, drained and slightly crushed

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.

Sprinkle steaks with kosher salt and crushed black pepper. Heat butter in a 12-inch, heavy bottomed sauté pan over medium heat. Once butter is hot, add steaks and cook until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare and 3 minutes per side for medium. Remove steaks from pan and place on a rack set on a sheet pan; place in oven to keep warm.  

Add the stock to the sauté pan and whisk until the crispy bits release from bottom of pan. Allow the liquid to reduce for 3 to 4 minutes over medium-high heat. Add cognac, heavy cream, and green peppercorns to the pan. Increase heat to high and cook, whisking continually, until sauce thickens slightly, just enough to coat the back of a spoon; this will take 5 to 7 minutes.  

Season the sauce, to taste, with kosher salt. Place steaks on plates, top with sauce and serve immediately.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 11:48am

SKILLET STEAK
(steak au poivre)by: C. B. Williams                        

I like this done with a strip steak but any good cut will work.  First grind (coarse) some black pepper and work it into the surface of the steak with your hand. Next in a hot skillet that has about a 1/2 teaspoon of salt sprinkled in and just enough olive oil to keep the steak from sticking (1 or 2 tsp.), sear the steaks on each side, (note) they have a cold center at this time. Set them aside, on a warm plate. Now in that same skillet, (still hot) add about 1/4 stick of butter, 2 tsp. worchestershire, 1 tsp. lemon juice, and 1 finely chopped green onion, cook this until the onions are soft and clear. (about 2 min.) Now deglaze with a bit of dry red wine. Cook this down until the sauce is thickened. Pour into a container. Replace the steaks to the pan and cook to a rare to med. rare. Serve the steaks with the sauce poured over them. This is very easy to do, and I have yet to find someone who doesn't like it. http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/steak_001.jpg

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2006 at 1:05pm

Salt encased rump roast by: Greg Stahl 

3 pounds of Kosher coarse salt and add 1 1/3 cups of water and mix well.  Take 1 1/2 cups of the salt mixture and place in the bottom of a #10 cast iron dutch oven (the bottom will be about 1/2 inch thick with salt.  Take a 3 lb rump roast and season the outside with oil (I used roasted peanut oil for something different) and some fresh ground black pepper.  Place the meat on top of the salt and place a meat thermometer in (if you have an oven that will support that).  Cover the roast with the remaining salt so that it is totally encased.  Place in a pre-heated oven at 375 F and cook until internal temperature is 135 (medium rare). 

I'm told that this is like cooking in clay pots and the food is not salty, just very moist!

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 1:27pm

Lamb shanks by: Brian Vick
Lamb Shanks 2-4 depending on size
brown in olive oil remove to side
add quartered onions and carrots (I use baby carrots) till they wilt
salt pepper,thyme and a little garlic and can or two of stock your choice (chicken or beef)
put the meat back in.
add (1) can chick peas (1) 8 oz can tomato sauce, juice of 1/2 lemon
simmer till shanks are tender thicken with flour or corn starch
just before serving add fresh or frozen spinach(however much you want) till wilted serve w/ a good red wine
enjoy

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: BEEF  & LAMB DISHES
Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 7:18am

MEAT LOAF by: Jerry Cermak

2 eggs, beaten
1/4 C of ketchup
2 T Worcestershire Sauce
1 C (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 C finely chopped onion
2 T grated Parmesan Cheese
1 t Salt
1/4 t Pepper
2 pounds Ground Beef
8-12 slices of Bacon

In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients.  Add beef and mix well.

Shape into two rolls.  Place 4-6 strips of bacon side by side on a large sheet of waxed paper.  Place one beef roll over the bacon. Roll up and wrap bacon strips around the roll and secure with toothpicks.  Repeat with second roll.  Place in an ungreased 13 x 9 pan and bake at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until meat thermometer reaches 160 degrees and Bacon is browned.

PS.....I like this very well with Ground Deer Meat.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 10:56pm

MEAT LOAF by: Jim Maloney

Basics:
2 lbs ground beef
2 lbs meatloaf mix (Beef/lamb/veal)
4 eggs
1 C quick oats

“Amendment”:
4 slices bacon chopped fine
2 T butter
2 carrots grated – about 2 C total
1 med onion finely diced
1 C finely chopped celery
1 can sliced mushrooms – chopped fine
1/4 C ketchup
1/2 can (12 oz) tomato sauce (save the other half for topping the loaf)
1 T Worcester sauce
1 t each (dried/ground):  basil, coriander, paprika, dry mustard
1/2 t each (dried/ground): oregano, thyme, cumin, pepper, cayenne
2 t instant coffee
2 C beef broth

Prepare the “amendment” first:

In a large skillet, start the bacon on medium heat until it renders the fat, but not too crispy.  Add the butter and let it melt.  Add the carrots, celery, onion and mushrooms and sauté until the carrots and onions start to get a little color.  Add the broth and bring to a simmer, then add everything else.  Stir it in well and let this simmer for about ½ hour, stirring occasionally.  Turn the heat up to get a moderate boil and cook until no more liquid can be seen.  The mixture should be dark and almost meaty looking.  Remove from the heat and allow it to cool.

Now construct the loaf:

Mix the meat, and oatmeal, then add the “amendment”.  I like to knead it a fair amount.  Make a loaf in a 9 x 13” pan, leaving about 2” all around.  If the mixture does not hold its shape, add more oats or bread crumbs until it does hold shape.  If it feels too dry, add a little tomato sauce or ketchup. Make a slight depression in the top & cover with the remaining tomato sauce, rubbing some down the side of the loaf too.  If you have enough room around the loaf, you can roast potatoes and carrots along with it.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes (I check the temp and bake to 185 degrees).  Remove from the oven and let it rest, covered with foil, for at least 15 minutes – half an hour is better.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2008 at 1:07am

MEAT LOAF by: Daniel Niederhofer

2-lb ground hamburger
1-lb ground pork
1 finely minced bell pepper
1-medium yellow onion minced  
1-T worchestershire
1-T maggi seasoning
1-T minced garlic
1-T season salt
1-T mrs dash seasoning
2-eggs
10-saltine crackers crumbled up
combine ingredients and shape into a loaf  cover with two 7oz cans of chilpotle sauce cook at 325 until done top with sliced pepper jack cheese return to oven long enough to melt cheese

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #10 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 1:29pm

MEAT LOAF by: Eric Bogusch

2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup catsup
1 small onion
1 can diced Ortega chilis
pepper and salt to taste
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 egg
1/8 cup milk

Mix in a bowl until all is combined. Form into loaf and bake at 400 F. for 1 hour.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: BEEF  & LAMB
Reply #11 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 11:41am

SAUERBRATEN by: Randy Eckstein

Sauerbraten
Yesterday at 2:28pm Mark & Quote Quote Modify Remove
Have made a couple of these at work over the past month with good reviews on the final result. Recipe is a mishmash of about 3 different recipes where I picked and chose what I liked.

3-4# Beef roast--arm, chuck or round roast is fine.  Trim any outside fat cap and make sure the thickest part is under 3".

Marinate for 3-5 days in a non-metal container turning once a day, using
1 cup red wine
1 cup red wine vinegar or white vinegar
2 bay leaves
1/2 TB pepper
1 TB pickling spice (optional)
2 TB sugar

On cooking day, pull the roast out of the marinade and pat dry.  Dust with flour and brown on both sides over high heat with a bit of oil in the dutch oven or roaster

1 yellow onion
1# carrots
3 beef bouillon cubes
1/2 cup ground ginger snaps
3/4 cup sour cream (optional)

After browning add 1 yellow onion chopped and 1#carrots in large chunks.  Pour the reserved marinade over the top, add 3 cups of water and 3 beef bouillon cubes.  Cover and cook to internal temperature of at least 170 degrees.  I cook at 350-375 degrees and it takes around 2 hours depending on how thick the roast is.

When it reaches temperature, pull out the roast and let it rest while making the gravy.  Pour the cooking liquid into a smaller pot and heat to a simmer.  Crush ginger snaps to give a half cup of powder to add to the gravy to thicken.  If still a bit thin use some cornstarch to get a thicker consistency. If you like more of a stroganoff style add the sour cream, if not its optional.
Shred the roast, top with the gravy and serve with your choice of sides.

We've used spaetzle noodles, braised cabbage, potato pancakes or boiled potatoes as sides.  The marinating time makes all the difference in the tenderness and the ginger snaps complete the sweet/sour aspect of the dish.  This will serve 6-8 people depending on how hearty they eat.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: BEEF  & LAMB
Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 3:37pm

LAMB SHANKS by: Jim Glatthaar

Re: WAGS MEMBERS

Here is my recipe for lamb shanks with reduction sauce, together with a photo from tonight's dinner.

4 lamb shanks
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
2 bay leaves
3 twigs thyme
1 twig rosemary
1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
1 cup red wine
4 cups chicken stock

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

In a roasting pan or skillet just large enough to hold the shanks, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and brown the lamb shanks for approx. 5 min. per side. Remove shanks and discard oil.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and sauté the onions, celery and carrots until lightly browned.  Add bay leaves, thyme and rosemary and sauté approx. 30 seconds.

Add the garlic and red wine, increase the heat to high and boil until the wine is reduced to a thick glaze.

Return shanks and any accumulated pan juices to the roasting pan.  Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.

Place roasting pan in oven and braise, uncovered for 2 hours & 15 minutes, turning shanks every 30 minutes.

Remove pan from oven, set shanks aside and strain cooking liquid though a fine strainer.  Let pan juices sit for 5-10 minutes and skim fat.

Return cooking liquid to pan and reduce.  Add shanks, 2 at a time, to pan and spoon liquid over.  As sauce reduces, it will form a thin glaze over the shanks.

Pour a small amount of reduced sauce on each plate, cover with a shank and pour additional sauce over shank.

Lamb_Shank_with_Reduction_Sauce.jpg (239 KB | 1 )

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print