Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
WAGS Society

HomeHelp FAQ Search WAGS Membership Info Reproductions Cleaning & Restoration WAGS Home URL Educational Links Eye Candy LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PORK   (Read 13282 times)
C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

WAGS: The heartbeat of
collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
PORK  
Oct 6th, 2004 at 11:58pm

RASPBERRY PORK CHOPS BY: C. B. Williams

4 pork chops 3/4 to 1 inch thick        
1 T olive oil
1/2 C red onion
1 1/2 t fresh thyme
1/4 C raspberry preserves
2 T balsamic vinegar
3 T orange juice
fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste

Place the chops in a large skillet with the oil and saute until almost done, (brown both sides)---add the red onion, balsamic vinegar, raspberry preserves, salt and pepper and cook an additional 2 min. Finish with the fresh thyme.  

Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
pork dishes
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2004 at 10:13pm

PORK LOIN WITH SPINACH STUFFING BY:  GREG STAHL  

1 pkg of 10 oz chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry  
1/2 C chopped onions  
1-2 garlic cloves, minced (I prefer 2-3)  
3 T butter  
1 C soft bread crumbs  
1/2 t salt  
1 boneless pork loin roast (I prefer to use two pork tenderloins) total weight of 3.5 pounds (I butterfly the two tenderloins)  
1/4 C orange juice  
3 T soy sauce  
1 T ketchup  
1 C (8 oz) sour cream  
2 T horseradish  
1 t Dijon mustard  
1/2 t seasoned salt

Use #8 cast iron skillet and saute onion, garlic and all of the spinach EXCEPT 1/2 cup (save half cup of spinach for sauce, to be made later)  

Remove from heat and add to bread crumbs and also add salt.  Butter fly your two tenderloins OR half the loin roast and add the stuffing to one side/piece.  Place other half OR other tenderloin on top of the "stuffed" one and tie together with kitchen string.  

Place stuffed loins in #5 oval roaster.  Combine orange juice, soy sauce and ketchup and pour half of this on top of the loin.    

Bake uncovered at 350 F for one hour.  

Baste with the remaining orange juice mixture.  Add the lid to the oval roaster and bake until the internal temperature of the loin is 160-170 F.  Let stand 10 min before slicing.  

In a sauce pan, add the sour cream, horseradish, mustard, seasoned salt, and reserved spinach.  Cook over medium heat until heated through (DO NOT BOIL).  Serve warm with the pork.  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: PORK  DISHES
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2004 at 3:26pm

STUFFED PORK CHOPS BY: C. B. WILLIAMS

1 1/2" thick pork chops. Cut a slit in the center to the bone to make the pocket. Mix equal parts of the following to make enough stuffing. 1) mushrooms, onions, and celery chopped. Add some bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and garlic to taste. Stuff the chops and secure with toothpicks if needed. Wipe the outside with soft butter and prepared mustard. Line a pan with foil and broil at 375 until brown each side turning once. Finish on bake until onions and celery are done.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 3:19pm

STUFFED PORK CHOPS #2 by: C. B. Williams

Pork chops about  1 1/2 inches thk. cut a slit to the bone and wet with a little worchestershire sauce inside and out. Finely chop 1 part bell pepper, 1 part carrots, and 2 parts onion for the stuffing. In a bowl containing the stuffing (trinity in Louisiana) sprinkle a little of my "dry rub" (see recipe in another section) and then some more dry rub on the outside. Broil high until the color has darkened, turn and repeat. This is done in a cast iron skillet, skillet griddle, or griddle. Cut oven off and cover with alum. foil. The hot cast iron will finish the cooking. really good, C B  (note: a good alternate to this is to season with soy and a little cayenne instead of the dry rub, everything else the same)

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 12:05pm

Pork Tenderloin in white wine cream sauce by: Greg Stahl                                                                                    

2 pound pork tenderloin
1 T Dijon mustard
1 t dried thyme
1 t salt
1/2 t  pepper
2 T vegetable oil
1 C of white wine
1 C heavy cream

Pat the tenderloin dry.  Combine mustard, thyme, salt and pepper and then rub into the pork.  Get a #8 or 9 cast iron hot and add the oil and brown the meat on all sides.  Add the wine and roast the meat in the oven preheated at 350 until the meat thermometer reads 160.

Remove the meat from the skillet and return the skillet to the cooktop and add in the heavy cream.  Scrap up the fond from the bottom and bring the cream to a boil and then simmer gently slightly thickened.    Meanwhile, slice the pork and return it to the thickened sauce and heat gently before serving.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 12:22pm

BBQ RIBS
by: C. B. Williams

Select some good back ribs. To prepare, first, start at one end and peel the membrane off the back of each rib. Next, rub the ribs with olive oil, and sprinkle some of my "Memphis Style Dry Rub" (see recipe in another section) on both sides of the ribs. Put the ribs on the grill and cook until done, do not over cook. While cooking baste with apple or pinapple juice, or a mixture or both. Just before taking up, apply some good B-B-Q sauce. (My sauce recipe is listed in the cookbook)

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2006 at 10:33pm

CORNED HAM by: Jean Shaikh

One whole, fresh ham (about 20 pounds)
One to two pounds of (Kosher) salt  

Rinse and dry the ham. Cut incisions in the meat at each place where a bone protrudes from the ham. Pack the cuts with salt and then then coat the entire ham with a thin layer of salt.  

Place the ham in a stainless steel or glass container, cover, and refrigerate for a minimum of eleven days up to a maximum of three weeks. Two weeks is the norm. Be sure to turn the ham from time to time, pouring off any juice that may have leached out, and re-rub any bare patches with salt.  

The day before cooking the ham, wash it, rinse out the salt pockets, and soak in cold water overnight.  

Drain and dry the ham. Place in a roasting pan on a rack. Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes per pound (yes, it'll take awhile) until a thermometer reads 160 degrees at the bone. Remove cover, increase oven temperature to 375, and cook for 15 minutes more to brown the top. Let rest an hour before slicing.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2006 at 10:36pm

STUFFED HAM by: Jean Shaikh 

2 large firm heads cabbage  
2  pounds       kale  
1/4 pound       watercress (optional)  
10 large onions  
1 bunch celery  
12  scallions, white and green parts  
15  collard leaves (optional)  
3 T  salt  
1 T  MSG (optional)  
1 T  cracked black pepper  
1 T  ground black pepper  
4 T  cayenne  
2 T  celery seeds  
1 T  mustard seeds  
3 T  dry mustard  
1 16-20-pound bone in or boned corned ham*  

Place a rack on the bottom of a 30-40 quart pot.  Fill two-thirds full with water, place on the stove, cover, and heat until the water boils.  

Chop the cabbage, kale, watercress, onions, celery, scallions, and collards.  Wrap the chopped ingredients in cheesecloth, and immerse in the pot of boiling water for 7 minutes.  

While the chopped ingredients are cooking mix the salt, MSG, the cracked, black, and cayenne peppers, celery seeds, mustard seeds, and dry mustard.  

After 7 minutes, remove the chopped ingredients from the water, remove from the cheesecloth, and let cool.  Keep the covered pot on the stove at a slow simmer.  If you are using a boned ham, add bones to the pot at this time.  

Starting at the butt end of the fat side of the ham, with a long sharp boning knife, cut vertically through the top of the ham, making 5 to 6 lengthwise slits, each 2" apart, through to the bone cavity or bone (depending on whether you are using a bone-in or boned ham).  Make a second row of slits 2" up from the first row, making sure the slits in the second row are not parallel to the slits in the first row.  Keep adding rows of slits in this fashion until the surface is covered with the slits.  You should end up with 16-18 slits.  

Spread the filling out evenly in a large pan.  Add one-half the spice mixture, and mix well.  Spread the filling out again, and add the remaining spice mixture.  Mix well.  

Pack the stuffing into the slits.  Pat the excess stuffing across the top of the ham.  Wrap the ham in clean cheesecloth, and place in the pot of water.  Cook in the covered pot for 1 hour less than 20 minutes per pound.  After the ham has cooled this time, turn off the heat, and let the ham sit in the covered pot for 1 hour.  

Remove the ham from the pot, and place in a large colander to cool.  When cool, refrigerate.  

Stuffed ham is traditionally served cold and sliced for sandwiches.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 2:35pm

Justin Wilson Ham:

Justin Wilson was a great cook and story teller from Louisiana and has a number of good cookbooks published. One of the best things I have ever found is his smoked ham and turkey. It requires a two rack smoker, like the one I posted earlier.  
You start with about 5# of charcoal in the pan. Next, you fill the water pan, just above the charcoal pan, and add apple, onion, garlic, worchestshire sauce, etc. in the water.  
On the first rack, you put a turkey, breast down, stuffed with apple, onion, salt, pepper, garlic, etc.  
On the top rack, you put your ham, that has been pierced a number of times, I use a thin knife and turn it, then poke my finger in the slit, add a button of garlic, some red pepper, and a green onion piece into each slit. sprinkle the ham with more red pepper, and with the ham on the top rack, it drips and bastes the turkey on the bottom rack.  
Put the lid on and smoke this for 8 to 12 hours depending on the weather, which greatly affects the temp. NEVER, let the water pan go dry, you are smoking with very moist heat, and in this case, you will not dry out your food.  
This is great.
Note: I did not list any amounts of spices because this can be done as the cook thinks best, and it is not copying a recipe.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #9 - May 13th, 2008 at 7:16pm

Rotisserie Pork by: Greg Stahl

low salt and low fat recipe

You can use a pork roast or a tenderloin for this one (I like both)

Marinade:
1/2 C olive oil
1/4 C balsamic vinegar
2 T rosemary (chop up finely to release the aroma)
2 T garlic puree ( I have used garlic powder, but decrease the amount to 1 tsp or to your taste, but I love garlic and tend to add more)

Pork loin roast (3-4 pounds)

Cut shallow slits in the roast to allow marinade to penetrate.  Mix marinade together and pour on top of roast in a zip lock baggie.  Marinate  overnight, turning as frequently as possible to get the flavor over  the entire roast.  Place on rotisserie at 400F until internal temperature is 155-160.  Let rest for 15 min before carving.

Enjoy

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #10 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 8:01am

Hard Cider Braised Pork Shoulder by: Bill Zumwalt

Hard Cider Braised Pork Shoulder

Ingredients:
Pork Shoulder - 5-6 lbs (bone in - this helps to give the sauce a thick, smooth texture)
Vegetable Oil - 1 T
Kosher Salt - to taste
Black Pepper - to taste
Celery - 4 to 5 ribs course chopped
Granny Smith Apples - 3-4 cored and cut into wedges
Garlic - 3-4 cloves rough chopped
Habanero Pepper - 2 finely chopped
Hard Cider - 3 C
Stock - 1 1/2 C beef (you can use chicken or vegetable if you choose)
Instant Tapioca - 1/4 C

Method:
Preheat oven to 250.

Heat the oil in a DO over medium high heat (I used a #8 Wagner DO).

Generously salt and pepper the entire roast. Brown all sides of the pork roast in the DO - don't skimp, do all six sides and give it several minutes on each side, until it releases from the pan. Remove the roast and set aside.

Add the celery, garlic, habanero, and enough of the apples to cover the bottom of the pan (about 1/3 of them) and cook until lightly browned - 4 to 5 minutes.

Pour yourself a glass of cider - Enjoy!

Add cider, stock, and tapioca. Bring to a boil.  The tapioca will provide thickening for the sauce. Place the roast in the pan and surround with the remaining apples. Bring to a boil again.

Cover and place DO in the 250 degree oven. Braise for 5 hours.

When cooked, remove roast and set aside. Pour braising liquid through a sieve and reduce on medium high heat until thickened - about 8-10 minutes.

Slice Roast pour sauce over it to serve.

Note: If tapioca is not available, use 1/4 C of flour, or 1/8 C of corn starch as a thickener.

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Reply #11 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 3:24pm

PORK ROAST IN THE OVEN by: C. B. Williams

My mother and grandmother cooked a pork roast (shoulder) different from any I have had. Try this sometime. The flour gives an unusual crust and I think seals in the juices.  

1 pork roast cut from a shoulder
stick about 5 or 6 times with a skinny knife and pour soy and crushed garlic into each stick
Rub with mustard and ketchup (more mustard than ketchup- about 2 to 1)
Season with salt and pepper
Cover with flour taking care to sift and not allow it to clump up
Place on a rack in a pan in the oven and bake at 400 until the flour browns and a crust has formed, usually about 1 1/2 hours.
Pour about 2 cups water in the pan but not touching the roast, cut the temperature back to 250 and tent it with alum. foil for about 4 hours until the bone sticks out and will twist. Note: The water will mix with the drippings and make the au jus. Strain this and serve with the roast.

Note 1: I'm not going to put an exact time on this because of different size roasts and differences in ovens. In long slow cooking like this it is not necessary to use a meat thermometer because it is done long before it is taken up. This is about first browning then long and slow to get it fork tender.  

IP Logged

C. B. Williams
Forum Administrator
WAGS member

collecting cookware!

Meridian, MS
Re: PORK  
Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 9:03pm

PORK BUTT ROAST by: Randy Eckstein

3 1/2 to 4# pork butt roast
2 TB minced garlic
2 TB rubbed sage
2 TB onion powder
salt and pepper
flour to coat
4 ribs celery-rough chop
4 medium carrots--rough chop
1 medium yellow onion--rough chop
2 oz. oil
2 cups beef broth--heated

1-Prep vegetables and pat down pork roast to dry, preheat oven to 375 degrees
2-Heat oil in skillet on medium high, rub both sides of roast with seasonings and finally with flour
3-Sear pork roast on both sides to brown
4-Add beef broth and chopped vegetables to pan
5-Cover and place in oven 20-25 minutes per pound or internal temp at least 175. This one was about 80 minutes
6-Remove roast from pan to rest, use immersion blender (or regular blender) to blend the vegetable/broth  
    mixture into a smooth sauce
7-Slice roast and serve with sides and sauce.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print